Newfie Moose and Black Bear Hunt This Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newfie Moose and Black Bear Hunt This Week

Well, after much waiting and drama I am finally in Deer Lake for a moose and bear hunt.

I booked this hunt in 2019 with plans to hunt in 2020. We all know why I didn’t get to hunt last year and was very skeptical earlier this year that I would even get to hunt this year. Thankfully they opened the border in August.

I spent this Spring shooting my bow and getting everything set up, then I had to have a procedure on my elbow because it got to the point I couldn’t even draw my bow, even lifting a drink with my right hand caused a lot of pain.

Recovered from the procedure and planned to spend the 2nd half of July and first half if August getting bow dialed in, etc. I had a deadline of August 10th to get it all done and packed up ready to go. I work away from home and had to leave the 10th and would not return until 2 days before my hunt.

End of July our entire household caught COVID, knocked us down for a little over a week. Which ate up some precious time for me to get everything buttoned up. Thankfully I kept testing positive and that prevented me from traveling and gave me enough time get everything done that I needed done.

Plan is for the outfitter to pick me up in the morning, drive 2 hours to the heliport and then fly to camp. This is an isolated camp with no roads in the area so there is minimal hunting pressure.

Newfie locals drive the roads and shoot any bull moose they see, so lots of pressure anywhere there are roads or when they can take ATVs.

Hopefully I got all my bad luck out of the way (lots of drama getting my bow and other gear here) and we have a good hunt. I’ll be out of cell service for 7 days I think. Weather looks decent as long as the rain isn’t too bad.

Outfitter did say they are seeing more and bigger moose than in years past since they really weren’t hunted last year, only good thing to come out of COVID.

Had lunch and a few of the local beer earlier.

Last edited by JES; 09-25-2021, 04:08 PM.

Looking forward to this one, good luck John!

Comment

Good luck

Comment

In for the win! Good luck.

Comment

Well, I’m always reluctant to post threads like this, especially live hunts, as it typucal backfires and I end up getting skunked.

Not 5 minutes after I made this post the outfitter texted me and said the helicopters weren’t able to go pick up the group out in the field now due to fog, will know more tomorrow at noon. It’s warmer tomorrow than today, which will likely make the fog worse.

Oh well, out of my control, I just wish I had a target so I could get some practice in while I wait.

Comment

In for this…good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck sir. Thanks for letting us tag along. We’ll be your cheerleaders.

Comment

Good luck, you have gone through much to get this opportunity. Will be following you on this cool hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                  Looking forward to this one, good luck John!
                  His nickname is Lucky after all! No doubt he will smoke a great one.

Comment

Tuned in. Hammer one buddy!

That beer looks good. Ship some down here

Comment

Good luck! Look forward to the results!

Comment

Following

Comment

Good luck bud!!

Comment

Going to the heliport to wait, big backlog from yesterday but you can’t take advantage of an opening if you’re not there. Might be back to the motel later, who knows.

Comment

Hope they are stocked up on cold beer at the heliport

Comment

Working...
                              X