No announcement yet.

Which pellet smoker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m in the Yoder club, buy once and cry once. I had a Pitboss and it was ok but it started falling apart after 3 years of use so I upgraded. Wish I would have just spent the money the first time around but I tried to save a few bucks and it actually ended up costing me money.

Comment

RecTec 700…..6 year warranty

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
        Lone star grillz just released one, they make an awesome product!

2300 and 2700 is a lot of money, but looks like a great grill..

Comment

Lone Star Grillz new pellet grill looks sweettttt. They aren't cheap, but they're built like a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
            I started with a Green Mountain because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the $2000 plus for a P&S or Yoder. After about 18 months I ended up buying a Yoder anyway. I looked at the P&S and the Yoder.

The things that sold me on the Yoder was that it was not welded to the cart, so I could put it in an outdoor kitchen if I wanted, and it had a trap door so that you could direct sear steaks and burgers. It's really nice to smoke the steaks close to temp, then lift off the trap door and get a good sear from the direct flame to get that perfect char on it. I don't think you can go with with either of those 2.

My Green Mountain is for sale. I thought I was going to take it to the ranch, but I'm not going to be smoking a brisket at the ranch. I can always cook it here and take it with me to heat up down there.

FWIW you can get a trap door drip tray with the Pitts & Spitts. That’s what I have in mine for the same reason you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I love my Pit Boss Pro Series. I am sure the way more money ones are better quality but this one is just fine.

Comment

Any fans of the Camp Chef? Thinking of getting the woodwind 36; I like the side accessories a lot such as the added burner and pizza oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                  Any fans of the Camp Chef? Thinking of getting the woodwind 36; I like the side accessories a lot such as the added burner and pizza oven.
                  Thats what I went with and like it thus far.

I have read on some bbq forums that some have had success attaching the sidekick to other brand pellet smokers.

Comment

Pitboss!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
                      I have the woodind 24 and really like it. I use it at least once a week. No complaints.

Comment

Just purchased the Pitboss Platinum Laredo 1000. I had the Cabela's pellet grill for the last 3 years and had a lot of issues. Mainly because I did not treat it well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          FWIW you can get a trap door drip tray with the Pitts & Spitts. That’s what I have in mine for the same reason you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That wasn’t available yet when I bought mine, or atleast I couldn’t find any info about it.

Comment

I will offer up some input as I have some experience with a couple of the brands. I too was in your shoes 18 months ago, did a lot of research and cooked on several, looked at some used models and went with the RecTec 700 for several reasons. One thing I think is important is good WIFI at your house so consider that point for sure. My 700 will stayed hooked up all the time and I can start it from anywhere and adjust temps with a few swipes on my phone, plus track all my cooks with the two probes. I do like there are no extra steps if the power or internet goes out, it reconnects by itself once restored.

I fell the RecTec is a lifetime unit from what I have seen in 18 months and a lot of cooking, easy clean up and easy to operate and holds a lot of pellets, some cookers only hold 18-20# and at 1.1-1.5# burn rate per hour, you might need to refill. I like the fact I can turn it on remotely, monitor it and basically cook from afar and not have to babysit it and worry if it's doing its' job. I have no reservations of putting meat on and cooking overnight without checking it. The smoker works as advertised.

I spent time on a Yoder as well, a cooking buddy has one and I was able to use it quite a bit. It too is well built but his and the one I looked at used (very little use) was already having paint chipping and flaking off and they include a can of touch up paint with the purchase. I did not like the damper system on it for smoke control, just seemed to be in the way and would not work well in my set up. Also, his Yoder has a lot of trouble re-establishing connections when power or internet is interrupted. He has tried to remedy that to no avail.

I looked hard at the Pitts & Spitts but one issue was the thickness of the metal and I explained my theory in another post about it being a heat sink. It is very well built but pricey for sure.

One thing I will add is that I have no use for a smoker to get over 350 degrees for any of my cooking. I use it as a smoker, not a sear type grill. I have cast iron for steaks and a Primo XL for charcoal. I rarely even get it up to 325, it usually sits at 225-250.

If you are looking at the RecTec, I would advise the 700 over the 590, even for a small family. I initially was going to purchase the 590 and bit the bullet on the 700 as I knew I would use the extra space and I am very glad I did. Also, If you go RecTec, there is a guy building extra racks that slide out that are pretty nice and simple to install. The only other advice I would give is to make sure you have a dedicated space, out of the weather to store it due to the electronics and pellets. I keep mine on a patio with no issues, it has a dedicated space and plug. I don't think any of these grills with this level of electronics and controllers fare well in the weather.

Comment

I have had Masterbuilt, Bradley and Green Mountain Grill. When I bought my Green Mountain Grill, I chose it after reading many Traeger comparisons. That being said, I always had trouble with quality construction and terrible temp control. I ended up either setting them on the curb or selling them. I bought a RecTeq Bully 700 last summer and added a Recteq Bullseye, 380 a few months ago. BY FAR, my best choices ever! Putting it together, I was impressed each step of the way with the quality and thought that went in to it. Temp control is bullet proof , making each cook perfect and easy. My only regret is that I didn’t buy one sooner! Highly recommend and a customer for life! If you are a Facebooker, do a search there for some of the Rec Teq groups and you will find very active groups for input and recipes.

Comment

None char grilled charcoal gravity smoker!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X