Got multiple new loads to work on before this coming seaon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since most everything in the country is screwed up in multiple ways for the last year and a half or longer, I like most everyone else has not been able to find bullets. I got powders, got primers, but bullets have been the hardest part of the ammo components to come up with. I have had to find new bullets, so I have to work on new loads. I don't think the whole new bullet thing is going to be a bad thing at all. I think it may be good for all of he calibers I was needing bullets for.

The 445 Super Mag. I just got the barrel last year, back then I could only find Hornady 240 XTP bullets. I worked up a load that got those moving along at 2082 fps. It was accurate at 100 yards, but I found the jackets came off of the bullets, just hitting the board the target was stapled to. So the velocity seemed a bit high for that bullet. Then I found Hornady recommends a maximum of 1700 or 1800 fps for that bullet. Knowing that most other 240 gr. bullets would likely have similar problems, I started looking for a heavier bullet, to slow it down some. I found some Swift 280 gr. and 300 gr. A Frame bullets. They are basically like a Nosler Partition, but Swift also makes them for hand gun calibers. I have heard good things about Swift A Frame for years, but never knew they made hand gun versions of those bullets, in the past, I really never had a need for such a bullet. But I think the 280 gr. version of that bullet, would probably be perfect for the 445. So I got 100 of them, probably should have gotten more. I did not want to buy a bunch, then figure out, they were not a good choice, for one reason or another. That would be my luck, buy 500 of them, the find out the best group I can get is 8" at 100. Until I know I like them, I only got 100 of them.

Finally over the weekend, when the wife let me take a break from staining the deck, I started prepping some cases. Found very quickly, I did not have anywhere near as many large rifle non magnum primers as I thought I had. It turns out I had two partial boxes of CCIs, which amounted to 31 primers total. That was the first of the problems, turns out I was also out of case lube. So we took off for San Marcos, to go to Academy. I figured they should have case lube. Who is going to buy up all the case lube? Wrong, no case lube, hardly any reloading related anything on the shelf. I don't think they had much to begin with. That store is the shoe store and they also have a lot of freshwater fishing tackle. So I need to find case lube still.

Then the 6.5 Creedmoor, that gun and caliber have been the cause of the most frustration since this whole Coved mess started. I was loading Berger 140 gr. Elite Hunters, got a load that worked very well, but shot up the first 100 bullets I bought, then have not been able to get any since. I also bought some 140 gr. VLD Hunters, but I have not been able to get the gun to group near as well with those. The gun, does not seem to like those much at all. I also bought a 50 round box of what were supposed to be Nosler 140 gr. Accubonds, but turns out I got 130 gr. Accubonds. I burnt up most of those, in my early testing with the new gun, trying to find a powder that would produce the velocities I was after. I have not been able find those bullets either, since buying that first box.

I finally found some Nosler 129 gr. Accubond Long Range. Again, I only got 100 of those, not knowing if the gun would like them. After a lot of looking and reading. I am thinking my gun is probably going to like bullets around 120 gr., because it has a 1 in 8 twist. Berger says that a 1 in 8 twist at the velocities I am able to push their 140 gr. bullets to, that they should stablilize. But looking at multiple other companies' web sites, they recommend faster twist rate for bullets that are very close in weight, design and length, to Berger's 140 gr. Elite Hunter and VLD Hunter. Those other companies say 1 in 7 twist rate or faster. So trying to make the 140 gr. bullets work in my gun, probably was not the best idea. Likely why my gun did not like the 140 gr. VLD Hunters. So the 129 gr. Accubond Long Range bullets, may work better than the Berger bullets I was using. In the process of trying to find bullets and preferably high BC bullets for this gun, I found some 140 gr. bullets with a BC number of 670. That could potentially be an amazing bullet, out of the Creedmoor. But I seriously doubt, they would work out of my rifle. For $83 a box of 50, I am not going to try either, when they claim you need a 1 and 7 twist rate to get them to stabilize.

I am starting to get more serious about the idea of having the gun rebarreled with a 26" Sendero contour, 5R rifled barrel, with a 1 in 6 or 6.5 twist. So I can shoot the higher BC, 6.5 caliber bullets, out of this gun. For now, It looks like I need to stick with bullets around 120 gr. I find the BC numbers drop off a lot for most of the 6.5mm bullets around 120 gr., compared to 140 gr and heavier bullets.

Then there is the 458 SOCOM, I was really wanting some more of the 350 gr. Hornady Interlock flat points, but those don't exist currently. I tried some 405 gr. hard cast, but they were too small for the bore diameter, so they had no accuracy at all and leaded up the barrel very badly. I am looking at getting a bullet mold made to produce some .461" or .462" diameter 405 gr. bullets for gas checks. In the mean time, I found some 300 gr. Hornady hollow points. Those may actually be some good choices for whitetails and hogs. Even if they do work well, I still plan on having a bullet mold made, so I can load some 405 gr. hard cast bullets. I like the velocity and energy numbers I got with those.

Then the other caliber I don't have bullets for, that also have been very hard to find bullets for, is my 30-30. I had developed a load years ago, with Nosler 125 gr. Ballistic Tips, but as of last year, those are also on the list of not available anywhere. I have looked for alternative bullets, but found nothing, that I would consider using. Then I got me a new 30-30. I had been using a 18" barrel Contender carbine. With only 38 gr. of powder, was producing 2740 fps, from that barrel. I found I could load upwards of 40 gr. of powder without any pressure issues, and got up in the lower 2900 fps range. I never tried anymore than 40 gr. of powder. I have been planning on finding a 23" Contender carbine barrel. Figured that should produce enough velocity, I could likely shoot 150 gr. bullets, at a respectable velocity, enough so, that they should work very well. Well I got me another 30-30, with a 24" barrel, so I would bet I could make some 150 gr. Ballistic Tips or Accubonds work very well, with the new gun.

But neither of those bullets are available either. So it was looking like the 30-30s, would likely be collecting dust for a while. But then I found some 130 gr. and some 135 gr. bullets that may work. I am going to load some of both bullets, see what I can get from those two. Then I need to find a way of testing the bullets, to see well they open up, if they will open up at all. I am skeptical of them at this point. They are solid copper bullets, the only brand of solid copper bullets I have tried, have been Barnes, none of the different styles of Barnes bullets I tried, ever worked worked very well on game animals.

I tried Barnes solids back in the 80s, they produced extremely high pressures and would not expand at all. Then I tried two or three of Barnes's newer designs, that are supposed to expand reliably even at low velocities, I got zero expansion, from any of them. So I am very skeptical of these bullets I did find. From what I have read, this company and another company or two, came up with a new style of bullet, because it is well known that bullets like Barnes, do not open up reliably, more like at all. I have found two or three companies selling what they call fragmentable bullets. I really don't see how they can work, unless, they have had petals cut and then the nose of the bullet is squeezed closed, then the outside of the bullet is machined. Even if they did something like that, not sure, if they could reliably open up like they are supposed to. If the groups look good, I will try to find something to shoot them at, hogs sound like the best ways to test these bullets. If they do work like they claim, they could be a very good choice for my 30-30s.

Hopefully this week, we won't have anymore problems with the weather and we can finish up staining the deck. So next weekend I can start working on load development. Got a lot of new stuff to try. I think the Swift bullets for the 445, should work very well. I really think I should have ordered a lot more of those bullets. I think the Accubond Long Range bullets for the Creedmoor, should do very well, with the barrel that is on the gun. The Hornady bullets for the 458, I am not overly excited about getting those loaded. They are just giving me ammo for my 458. I really need to stop and order some custom molds for the 458, so I will finally have the bullets I want for that gun. I am interested in seeing what the new bullets for the 30-30s will do. I really need to work on finding some targets, preferably live, to test those new bullets on.

I find that 140 vlds in my 6.5-284 work best seated close, or just kissing, the lands. Although expensive, I think hammer bullets seem to be available.

Comment

Funny but my Bergara 6.5 CM doesn't like anything lighter than 140 gr.
      So far 143's shoot the best and I have some 147's loaded in virgin brass that I will try later this week. I believe my Bergara is 1 in 8 twist.
      When I say it doesn't like lighter bullets I mean that it don't shoot 129's and 130's to under .5 moa like it does the 140's. It still shoots anything I put thru it good enough for hunting.
      My gun likes some jump too. Anywhere from fiddy to eighty thou.
      I guess that's why it shoots factory premium ammo so good.
      Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-07-2021, 11:17 AM.

Comment

What gun is your 6.5CM? I've got a Ruger American and loaded from 143gr ELD-x down to my current 100gr Barnes and never had that much trouble finding the right load...always seems to be 42.5gr - 43gr.

Comment

Interesting that y'all are having good luck with the 140 gr. bullets. My gun does group the 140gr. Elite Hunters very well, but I can't get them. I have tried everything short of flying to Canada, filling my pockets up with them and flying home.

Berger's rate of twist calculator, says that at the muzzle velocity I am shooting that the 140 gr. bullets should be stable. I am getting good groups from the Elite Hunters, but I gave up on the VLD Hunters after about 50 rounds. I have tried a lot of different seating depths, I can't find anything they like in my gun.

After looking for bullets for over a year. I search all over the internet about three to five times a week, for about the last 16 months or so. I can not find any 140 gr Elite hunters. I have clicked on the options to notify me when in stock on about 18 different web sites. I have gotten zero notifications. I still think Berger is completely full of crap. I don't think the have made any of those bullets in the last year and a half to two years. That or they are selling all of them to someone who is not a retailer in the US. I have given up on Berger, can't get them. I do not like Hornady, or about 80% of what they currently produce. I do like some of their older designs, but none of their stuff they have come out with in the last 20 years.

So coming up with 6.5mm bullets has been very hard. The closest bullet I have found to what I want for the gun, have been those 129 gr. Accubond Long Range bullets. So I am going to give them a try. After all of the searching for bullets, I am thinking there is a good chance, my gun would have greater potential for accuracy with bullets in the 115 gr. to 130 gr. range. So far, I have been mostly shoot 140 gr bullets, I did shoot some 130 gr bullets, but I was working on finding a powder that would give me the velocities I was after. Which when I was shooting the 130 gr. Accubonds, the powders I was trying were producing velocities in the 2600 fps range. I was not happy with those velocities at all.

The gun is a Howa 1500, has a factory heavy barrel, similar to a Sendero, in diameter. It came from the factory with a Boyd's stock, then I have glass bedded the action and replaced the trigger with a Timney trigger.

So far, the best I have gotten are around 1/2" groups, maybe a little better than that. There is a problem how I have my shooting range laid out. I am shooting towards the west, usually by the time I have time to shoot, it is late afternoon, so I am shooting into the sun. I know that's not helping my groups. I need to have everything ready and set up to shoot early some Sunday morning. So I am not shooting into the sun. I have shot mid day a few times but the mirage/heat waves, make it even harder to shoot, than shooting into the sun.

But I have shot the gun enough, that I have figured out it does not like the VLD Hunters, that I am sure of. The Elite Hunters, I have shot even more of those and have only managed to get around 1/2" groups. This is my first Howa, I hear they can be very accurate. If this gun was a Remington 700 Varminter or Sendero, I would not be happy till it was shooting at least 1/4" groups. I really think this gun should be shooting groups of that size. From everything I have read, Howa barrels seem to be pretty good, I know the actions have the potential to produce very good accuracy. My past experiences with Japanese made rifles, is they are usually very well made and very accurate.

I probably should get back on some of the Howa groups, hunt down some guys with 6.5 Creedmoor Howas and find out what bullets work best for them. I have not thought about that, until now.

Since the closest bullet to what I want, that I can actually find to buy, has been that 129 gr. Accubond Long Range. I am going to try them and see what they do. So far this gun has not had the accuracy I have expected out of it. After quite a bit of reading, I am starting to wonder if I may have been trying to make the wrong bullets work in in, is why it has not done as well as I expected.

I can make a completely stock Remington Sendero in 7mm Rem. Mag. shoot less than 1/4" groups at 100 yards, it would shoot 3/8" groups at 200 yards with a 12X Kahles scope with very thick crosshairs, that covered almost the whole target at 200 yards. The 7mm Rem. Mag. is supposed to be known for not producing great accuracy. The 6.5 Creedmoor, is supposed to be a very accurate round and really should be. Then Howas are supposed to be very accurate rifles, but I can't get this one to shoot anywhere near what any of my past 700s would do. When they were completely stock, no bedding or trigger replacement.

I did just replace the scope mount and the scope. I did not like the bases, that were on the gun at all. The scope is a good scope, but the bases, I think should have gone in the garbage right after I got the gun. But I held out, waiting to see, if I could find a nice silver scope, before buying a new mount. I got a scope, so I bought the mount I have been wanting. Maybe the old bases/mount were causing a problem and the new mount fixes that. Don't know, hope to find out soon.

Comment

This is what I was dealing with for scope bases, and rings. I don't like the design at all. Those bases got replaced, a couple weeks ago.

I know another problem I have been dealing with, is my shooting bench, is not the most stable. Eventually I plan on cutting a wider path out to at least 200 yards, maybe 300 yards. Then I will build a much bigger, heavier, much more solid bench, to shoot off of. I have found that bench rocks or teeters, if I don't use a sledge hammer to drive the legs into the ground. But even then getting all four driven down to the exact same height is difficult. I usually wind up driving one leg deeper, which lifts the opposite leg out of the ground. So I then have to push the opposite leg back down, Then it's back to teetering, so I pick up up, move it, then start over with trying to make it solid. I have thought about attaching some heavy weights under the bench, then make some threaded height adjusters and weld them on the bottom of the legs. That would be a good temporary fix for the bench, until I build a big heavy permanent bench. I really do need to fix the bench, it's very irritating when I can feel it rock back and forth, when I am trying to get settled in on the target.

Currently our property is about 90% oak trees. There is only one place on the property, that I can see 100 yards, it's on my trail that goes back to the back of the property. I really hate to cut any trees down, but I know that I am going to have to for multiple reasons. I need to find a area that will require cutting as few trees as possible, that will also give me the longest distance. Then start cutting trees. I am about to build a shop on our property, since our place is on the side of a big hill. I have thought about building a deck up on the roof of the shop, then putting a roof over the deck. If I get up high enough, I could shoot over the tops of the trees a ways out. I thought about doing this and then making a clearing at 100 yards, then 200 yards, then 300 yards. Our property is about 460 to 480 yards long, don't remember the exact length of the property. I am pretty sure, that the longest range I would be able to shoot to, if I did some tree clearing would be 300 yards. I am going to build the shop first. Then at some point get up on the roof of the shop and see, what it looks like from up on the roof. If it looks like I could shoot to 200 or 300 yards and not have to cut down 200 to 300 yards of trees, I will put a shooting deck on the roof of the shop.
            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-18-2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

This is the scope and mount, I have switched to a couple weeks ago. I have not shot it with these new pieces. So when I get some ammo loaded, the bullets will be new, the scope mount will be new and a new to me scope. It would be nice to only make one change at a time. But I have wanted a different scope and mount on this gun since shortly after, I got it. I like the Burris scope I had on it, it just did not match the rifle. The main problem was the mounts, I really did not like the design. Then new DNZ mount, I like a lot. It would be great, if I still had another 100 or so, 140 gr. Elite Hunters, so I would only be changing the scope and mount out. So if there are any differences in how it performs I would know for sure the differences are a result of the scope and or mount. Since I don't have any more 140 gr. Elite Hunters. I am going to be changing the mount, scope and bullets all at the same time. Yes, I could leave the old scope and mounts on the gun, but I really want those old mounts off of the gun. The new DNZ mount, is for a 1" scope and the Burris has a 30mm tube, so I can't put the Burris in the DNZ mount.

So I am changing three things at once and hoping I will see some noticeable improvements. I am starting to believe that I may have been shooting a bullets that were on the verge of not being fully stabilized. Only shooting to 100 yards, it would not be overly obvious, if that was the case. If I had a longer distance range to shoot on, and the bullets were not being properly stabilized, at farther ranges, it would become obvious.
              Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 10-18-2021, 09:26 PM.

Comment

I didn't read every word in all your posts but what powder are you using?
                I have found that my 6.5 is like my 308's in the fact that it likes a case fill of 95 -98% under the base of the seated bullet on powder charge. Magnum primers with ball powder and standard primers with stick powder. I will sacrifice some velocity for ES anytime. Use your chrono if you have one and look for a node that has single digit velocity spread and you will usually find your most accurate load. Then work on seating depths at .005 increments to fine tune.
                Also I have found no differences in accuracy between cases with small primer pockets vs large primer pocket. Keeping all the cases by the same MFG and lot number is a must to get consistent velocities 99% on the time. You can easily verify that with your chrono.

Some barrels like more jump than others so start out near the lands and work back. Jamming the bullets into the lands will increase chamber pressure and sometimes plays heck with your ES numbers. Turn you case necks if needed and get seating pressure the same for each round. Lopsided case necks makes bullets wobble.
                Last edited by muzzlebrake; 09-09-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Get you some STP, it will work as good as any case lube on the market.

Comment

An 8 twist should easily stabilize 140 grain 6.5mm bullets. That’s all I’ve shot in my 6.5-284 and more recently my 260 Remington with the factory 5R barrel. I recently had the 260 rebarreled with a Brux 7.5 because I had it punched out to 260AI.

On the ABLR bullets, IME your gun will either love them or they won’t group at all. The previously mention 260 would stack the Berger 140 VLDs in 1/2” but wouldn’t even hit paper at 50 yards with the 142 ABLR. My 6.5-284 didn’t like the 142 ABLR either But my wife’s 6.5x47 Lapua with a rock creek 5R cut rifled barrel loves the 129 ABLR. [emoji2369]

And they are devastating on Axis.

I’m currently working up a load with 168 ABLR is my 308 R700 5R that shows promise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Don't rule out those lowly Sierras. 142 SMK is what I will try next. Seems every time I have trouble getting groups where I want them and I load some cheap Sierras they beat the pants off high dollar flavor of the day bullets regardless of caliber.

Comment

Working...
                      X