Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 07-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #51
Eagle19
Ten Point

Hunt In: Every where in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notaguide View Post
In for the finish on this! Rebuilt a older aluminum scooter several years ago and projects like this makes me want to build another.

You may have a handle on it, but water testing the hull is a good idea with any welds before continue too far into the project as previously mentioned . I've seen seasoned welders struggle with water tightness when working with older 5052 substrate and 6061. I had a few spots when repairing my project that gave me fits before sealing them tight.

Yeah that's the plan. I already water tested once inside the boat. Had 5 spots that leaked. 2 of them were actual holes in the hull from electrolises where the boat sat on carpeted 2x4's for so long. I'm pretty sure I got 2 of them covered after I welded the tunnel with a bead from the inside. I'm going to water test inside again.

My biggest problem is I've got two big holes in the sides of the hull from the old livewells. I'm waiting for drain plugs to come in but even then, those won't be water right until paint. I want to paint and then silicone the plugs in.

So I'm having to teeter totter the boat on the trailer to test inside. I may see if after I weld the bait well holes closed if I can head out to a lake to pressure test. I know there's a difference on leaks when done filling up vs standing in the boat creating pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eagle19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-21-2020, 10:32 PM   #52
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoub007 View Post
I built my boat w/o a vent and with a different style of tunnel initially. Then I tested it and was pleased with how shallow I could run but not the speed. So I did what any builder does and cut a hole in my creation. Literally I took a hole saw and drilled a hole in the leading edge of my tunnel. I added a sweep ell piece of PVC and went for another test ride. I could feel the vacuum the tunnel makes pulling the hairs on my leg in the pipe. When I put my hand over the end of the pipe I gained about 5 MPH (IIRC).

Anyway, go here and search my same user name. https://forums.bateau2.com/?_ga=2.20...558.1595384855

I eventually took a chainsaw to my boat and replaced the tunnel altogether with a better design.

I had a build thread there that I had a lot of pics in many years ago. Not sure if the pics will still show but all my text should still be there. The search will show where I tried to educate others on the tunnel too like I am saying here.

Would love to build another boat or three, but kids, time and money are all detractors right now.

Take care and keep making progress.
Tim

Lots of good stuff to read there. Wish I had saw it before the build!

My tunnel is about 12" at the mouth. At exit the top part is 8" and slopes down to 12" wide at the very bottom. I'll be curious to see how it runs compared to yours. The funnel is not as agressive. Worst case rewelding the tunnel wouldn't be that hard.

When you would vent the tunnel did you have it spitting out through the transom? While I get that it vents air while running I would assume that coming off a plane would shoot water in?

Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #53
timoub007
Eight Point

Yes, I attached a hose to it and intended on running it to a thru-hull out the transom. In reality I just put a few feet of hose on there an laid it under my seat towards the transom (will make sense if you look how I built my rear seats).
When I come off plane some water will rise in the hose but typically not enough to come out the end.
My boats static draft is only about 3-4" so that helps too.

Like I said before, some people bother with putting a valve in the hose. You can get on plane a little more shallow with it closed (not vented) but then gain speed and efficiency if you open the valve while on plane. I can hear the RPMs of my outboard change if I block the hose.

Happy to help you or others if I can.
T
timoub007 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-25-2020, 12:34 PM   #54
Eagle19
Ten Point

Well the tropical storm is coming through now. Which sucks on multiple ends. I think two full work days could have me ready for paint.

I took the top cap off the boat and tackish welded on the spray rails. Enough weld to hold it in place but not enough to make it permanent. I wanted to get it on top of the boat and make sure the splash rails had good lines down the side and bend them if need be.

Went to try and put it on the boat and it's just too heavy/wide to try and put it on myself. Unfortunately, my college neighbors were all still asleep at 12pm. The other side to that is with these winds coming I would rather have the too laying flat in the driveway and not have the risk of it catching wind.

The good news is the top is stout.

I've ran into a road block with the hitch reciever idea. I can't find an aluminum hitch reciever anywhere. All the metal suppliers I went to didn't have any square tubing to see what I could get. So my next thought was just buy a bolt on steel hitch reciever and go that route. Then I thought more on it today only to realize that would be a bad idea for saltwater use. The way I would install it would be a nightmare to change out down the road if it rusted out. So the search for a reciever size aluminum square tube is on.

With all this rain the this week I will probably work on getting the motor with the extension kit back together.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:34 PM   #55
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

. This is the place I use most often since they have a store just north of Ft. Worth. They do shipping as well. They are a bit expensive. But were cheap before being bought out about a year ago. They carry a lot of different sizes/shapes of tubing in different materials.

https://www.coremarkmetals.com/?utm_...countsteel.com

And here are a couple more. Book mark them all so you'll havem later.

https://www.onealsteel.com/ (multi metal dealer/fabricator)

https://www.rsac.com/ (very large company that carries a lot when "Alcoa" can't get it to you)

https://www.alcoa.com/global/en/home.asp
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #56
kmack
Eight Point

Hunt In: ??

Or if Austin/San Antonio is closer to you....

Westbrook Metals
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #57
Eagle19
Ten Point

Double checked for leaks yesterday and cleaned up the bottom of the hull.

I got some total boat aluminum epoxy ďrivetĒ sealer. I applied it to the hull in areas where corrosion was causing pitting. There was a little pitting all across the bottom of the boat. But not enough to worry about. The heavily pitted areas were where the carpeted bunks were. Iíll sand some of the epoxy down before I put on coat-it, but since itís on the bottom Iím not too worried about it being pretty.

I also picked up the topside paint today. Went with flat olive branch gold. Bottom half will be black epoxy paint. I had a hard time between the caramel gold and the olive branch. I think I liked caramel better. But when it comes to duck hunting the darker the color the better.

Going to put the coat-it on this afternoon. Even though my trailer is galvanized I just hate the way they look. So Iím going to put a rubber coating on it. Iím also going to remove the bunks, and put on treated lumber. I have some plastic pieces that will be screwed on but they are on the way from amazon. But since the coat it has graphite it should be able to slide on and off pretty easily.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #58
Eagle19
Ten Point

Havenít posted in a bit.

Finally starting to wrap up the topside. Work has been getting in the way lately.

Added the receiver hitch aluminum today.

Should wrap up the splash rail tomorrow night.

Then paint prep starts next week.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #59
Grulla
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe River

That’s slick
Grulla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2020, 07:11 AM   #60
Palmetto
Ten Point

Dude.....your spoon feeding us here! Come on with some more pics!

Progress looks great.
Palmetto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #61
Hawkpuppy 1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I'd look at the Parker Duck Boat paint. It's an oil based, self etching paint designed for aluminum boats. Excellent stuff, and already in the shades you're looking at.
Hawkpuppy 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #62
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
I'd look at the Parker Duck Boat paint. It's an oil based, self etching paint designed for aluminum boats. Excellent stuff, and already in the shades you're looking at.

They just didnít have the exact shade that I wanted. It looked like they had similar ones but hard to tell on a screen.

Old 08-23-2020, 09:05 PM   #63
Eagle19
Ten Point

Definitely getting closer. Work and rain once again getting in the rain. I would for sure be painting this week. But with the hurricane possibility Iíll wait.

Finished cutting the interior aluminum.

Laying out the hatch trays I built and tracing them. Hopefully going to weld in the hatches tomorrow.

I have to cut deck holes for future duck blind, holes for bow nav lights, and led lights that Iím going to put on the sides to help see banks while driving at night. Then Iím going to run wiring and hosing to the back to hopefully make wiring easier.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #64
Eagle19
Ten Point

Hatches are installed but the biggest problem I ran into is the hatch lids sticking too far up. In my mind the 1/8th didnít seem like it would really be a big deal. But after I finished it, the one 1/8th seemed like a potential trip hazard. I decided I would rather have the lids recessed if not level. The bad news is itís been a giant pain in the rear to fix.

In the meantime I installed all the foam floatation today. Iím going to install all the flooring back up and I should do some finishing welds on the inside and I should be done with the interior.

I got my poling platform from a company called swamp ox. Iím pretty impressed with it! Itíll be perfect for poling, hanging decoys, and led lights! Itíll also be removable if need be.

Jackplate should be coming in tomorrow. Then I should pretty much have everything I need to finish the build.

Hopefully I can finish all aluminum work the next couple of days and paint next week.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:40 PM   #65
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I was just thinking about this project the other day. And wondering how it was coming along.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:35 PM   #66
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I was just thinking about this project the other day. And wondering how it was coming along.

Slowly! But getting there!

Old 09-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #67
nushagak
Spike

Hunt In: John Wesley Hardin's Hideout

How will you connect the SwampOx poling platform to the deck?
nushagak is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #68
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nushagak View Post
How will you connect the SwampOx poling platform to the deck?

So it comes with mounting brackets and screws not in the picture!

Old 10-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #69
Eagle19
Ten Point

Started painting today. Color ended up coming out a little darker than I had wanted for my feet. Couldnít even put my hand on it without it burning. So I ended up going a little lighter in tan. I think the lighter color will match better to my faux teak looking sea deck whenever I pull the trigger on the sea deck.

Old 10-04-2020, 07:07 PM   #70
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I like blonds. Must be why I was blond when I was younger. Now I like silvers. But it don't make good camo.

Looking good bro! You gonna be ready by the opener?
Old 10-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #71
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I like blonds. Must be why I was blond when I was younger. Now I like silvers. But it don't make good camo.

Looking good bro! You gonna be ready by the opener?

Man I sure hope so!!!

Unfortunately I have some unexpected hunts to film this week. So Iíll probably get the black hull color on tomorrow and that will be it. Hopefully next week I can get the motor back together and started.

Old 10-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #72
Eagle19
Ten Point

The color scheme is turning out nicely!

Old 10-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #73
Eagle19
Ten Point

All the paint done! Onto rigging next week!

Old 10-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #74
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Looking sweet!
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2020, 09:48 PM   #75
hunterburch42
Six Point

Hunt In: Ozona

Looking good!

hunterburch42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #76
Eagle19
Ten Point

Thanks fellas!

Old 10-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #77
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

I love that you are doing this out in your driveway. I bet you either get neighbors looking at you like you are crazy or they grab a beer and come over and won't leave for 5 hours!

Well done on the progress.
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 04:17 PM   #78
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamAmerica View Post
I love that you are doing this out in your driveway. I bet you either get neighbors looking at you like you are crazy or they grab a beer and come over and won't leave for 5 hours!

Well done on the progress.

Yeah Iíve got some that bring me a beer and talk my ear off but never want to help. Hahaha

A guy stopped by the other day and told me that his kid has enjoyed watching me build this boat. I hit a stall with all the rain and he asked his dad if he ever thought I was going to finish. lol

I think most of my neighbors have been cheering me on. Some how I havenít received a letter from the HOA yet.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #79
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Looking great!
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #80
FLASH_OUTDOORS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Davy Crockett National Forest

Iím in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
FLASH_OUTDOORS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-06-2020, 06:03 PM   #81
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle19 View Post

I think most of my neighbors have been cheering me on. Some how I havenít received a letter from the HOA yet.

Wonder if the chairs of the HOA are hunters or fisher-persons. They might be wanting a trip.

I already know your neighbors will want one. I had the same experience.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #82
FastLife1K
Spike

Hunt In: Anywhere

NIce build so far!
FastLife1K is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2020, 08:09 PM   #83
Eagle19
Ten Point

Iíve got about 98% done!

Old 10-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #84
BURTONboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Turned out nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
BURTONboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 09:37 AM   #85
JMart76
Four Point

Hunt In: No where at the moment

Pretty slick, came out great!!!
JMart76 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 10:00 AM   #86
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Looks good. Don’t forget your nav lights.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #87
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
Looks good. Donít forget your nav lights.

Nav lights are on there! I got some super small 2 mile nav lights. I didnít want them to take away from the aesthetic!

I gotta order a taller anchor light too.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #88
hog_down
Ten Point

Fine work, sir!
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #89
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Looking great!
Old 10-25-2020, 09:18 PM   #90
RockTippedStick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty, Tyler, Polk

Slick. Going to be ready just in time for duck season.
RockTippedStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-25-2020, 09:33 PM   #91
Eagle19
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockTippedStick View Post
Slick. Going to be ready just in time for duck season.

If I can ever get the fuel delivery problem figured out!

Old 10-25-2020, 09:44 PM   #92
RockTippedStick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty, Tyler, Polk

I've got some free time the next two days if you need help. Just shout.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
RockTippedStick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-26-2020, 06:41 AM   #93
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Nav lights are on there! I got some super small 2 mile nav lights. I didnít want them to take away from the aesthetic!

I gotta order a taller anchor light too.

http://maxitoutleds.com/extreme-navi...ern-light.html
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #94
Buck_jane
Six Point

Hunt In: Fayette

Man that thing turned out nice. Great job
Buck_jane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 03:46 PM   #95
creno63
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Tarpley TX

very cool
creno63 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #96
TexasHunter.280
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around

Very nice!!!
TexasHunter.280 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-28-2020, 08:52 PM   #97
Tommyh
Pope & Young

Seen similar stuff on youtube’s tiny boat nation., but not as good. Sweet boat!
Tommyh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #98
Eagle19
Ten Point

Took it out to lake Somerville yesterday for some test runs.

No leaks! I got it all the way up 26-27mph before it started porpusing real bad, I think it still had some left in it. I think with a new prop and some motor adjustments I could get closer to 35.

Haven't tested how shallow it can run on plane yet, but I think I'll be able to get up in 16" of water without any adjustments.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:17 PM   #99
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

Quote:

Took it out to lake Somerville yesterday for some test runs.

No leaks! I got it all the way up 26-27mph before it started porpusing real bad, I think it still had some left in it. I think with a new prop and some motor adjustments I could get closer to 35.

Haven't tested how shallow it can run on plane yet, but I think I'll be able to get up in 16" of water without any adjustments.

man what a payoff. outstanding finished product. catch any fish???!!
TeamAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #100
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Nice build. The only thing I’d do different is add some sponsons.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top