Youth hunting morality question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only kill what you will eat.

*Exceptions: hogs, coyotes, feral cats, feral dogs, coons, possums, venomous snakes, rodents, black panthers & liberals

Comment

I think you need to cook up a coyote and prove yourself wrong in front of him. When you both see how crappy it taste just say....well you don't have to eat everything you kill. I'm a silly Sally for even saying that in the first place. My bad. I'm sure he'll understand.

Comment

GREAT answers guys! Thank you so much. I didn’t mean to strike a cord with people about not eating squirrel. The question wasn’t about what to eat or not eat, it was a question about how to teach a kid to have more respect then I did, but also allow him to develop the skills I did for shooting/hunting. Either way, Y’all have convinced me to go ahead and cook up the next squirrel we shoot. Thank y’all again for the thoughtful answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You could take him to a gun range and get him in to plinking. The sounds of hitting the metal targets is something that he would enjoy hearing and be proud of himself for doing so good. And as he gets older LONG RANGE shooting. Target hits are cool and nothing had to die just to die. My opinion.

Comment

Make him clean the game that he shoots and if you don't want to eat it, give it away. I used to love shooting rabbits, but after shooting 49 and cleaning them all in one day. I wasn't so trigger happy anymore.

Comment

Oxymoron... "Only kill what you eat......EXCEPT...".

Comment

Let him shoot. Yes, eat the game and respect the game laws. However, when it comes to "nuisance" animals, let him shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Oxymoron... "Only kill what willyou eat......EXCEPT...".

Comment

Originally posted by CMLambin View Post
                    GREAT answers guys! Thank you so much. I didn’t mean to strike a cord with people about not eating squirrel. The question wasn’t about what to eat or not eat, it was a question about how to teach a kid to have more respect then I did, but also allow him to develop the skills I did for shooting/hunting. Either way, Y’all have convinced me to go ahead and cook up the next squirrel we shoot. Thank y’all again for the thoughtful answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Awesome!! Squirrel hunting is one of the best ways I know of for a kid to develop hunting skills. Success is almost guaranteed so he won't get discouraged by not seeing or shooting anything.

Gray squirrels are more tender than fox squirrels, especially the young ones. The meat does have a distinct gamey flavor that some people don't like, but soaking in a vinegar/water mix will make it as mild as chicken.

Happy hunting!!

Comment

For starters I dont see any reason why he needs to practice on animals, if you want to practice just shoot cans, sticks, cactus, steel targets etc etc my son is 6 and just harvested his first two animals this year we spent a lot of time practicing but we also practiced picking targets and pretending to shoot everytime we are in the stand this will help them with target aquisition and confidence without ever pulling the trigger. Good luck to you and your son, it is incredibly rewarding watching your young one harvest an animal but its even more rewarding sharing the harvest with them around a table with your family.
                      Last edited by KLAPPER; 12-20-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                        That's pretty funny in that my dad had about the same rules. No Mockingbirds and no Cardinals or Jays. I learned to clean a squirrel before I learned how to do long division. If my mom or grandma didn't want them, you could bet that Mrs. Singletary that lived across the road would take them. Of course, Mrs. Singletary cooked the crawdads for us to eat, that we pulled out of the ditch after a rain....not big good crawfish, but small, thin-shelled mudbugs that tasted like the ditch they came out of. Man, I miss being a kid.

Bacon and a string brother[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My passion for hunting was set in motions with a single shot 22 and many of rabbits and squirrels. Turn him loose!

Comment

Practicing on a live animal in the backyard (like squirrels or grackles) is a great way to reign in the buck fever that'll come when it's time to shoot a deer. Tin cans and paper targets just aren't the same.

Comment

Let them kids run after you feel comfortable with their gun safety skills. My son in law when teaching his sons gun safety even made them unload their B.B. gun when completed shooting cans. When I witnessed this and I thought omg but after thinking about it I was impressed.
                              Last edited by tps7742; 12-20-2018, 08:49 AM.

Comment

The whole "kill it grill it" is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. When I was a kid we tried all kinds of birds just to try it. I love eating squirrels and rabbits. But lets think about it, what if the kid just doesn't like the meat, do you want him to not hunt? The push today is "trophy deer" what the heck does that have to do with food. As Smart said "Let him shoot"!!!! I read on here all the time about shooting Boars and letting them lay, now it's "only shoot what you eat" what a crock of B.S.!!! In a lot of this state if you let a deer lay over night one of two things will most likely happen...1. Meat will spoil or 2. Coyotes will eat it. I understand a few hours because it needs time, but honestly deer are real darn easy to find in the dark. I have never seen a deer dye with its eyes closed, white bellies and dead eyes light up at night. Ok my rant is over about that... you teach your children morals and ethics in a thousand different ways. Don't turn them off hunting, don't holdback their ability to create excellent stalking skill,and don't rain on his thrill of success parade. Humanitarian and hunting morals, come with time, that time will never have its opportunity of you don't let him be a predator now!

Comment

Working...
                                X