Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-19-2020, 08:29 AM   #1
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska
Default Wyoming elk applications

That time of the year already.
Wyoming elk applications are due by Jan 31.
The WG&F Hunt Planner has info up for 2021.
Check your PP totals and the draw odds.

As before I am happy to answer questions if I can. Plenty of folks on here to also give advice that have hunted in Wyoming.
It will be interesting to see what the draw odds are this coming year, last year was a crap shoot so to speak.
General elk tags are not bad hunting in Wyoming, don't be afraid to try on a general license.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 08:53 AM   #2
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NW of Dallas

I am still in the points buying stage. Think I will buy point #7 in 2021. Getting closer.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
TWarren
Six Point

Hunt In: Panhandle and New Mexico

Thanks for the heads up. Think this will be the year I finally cash in points. Just a question of which species.
TWarren is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 09:08 AM   #4
Redraider
Ten Point

Hunt In: Panhandle, Out of State

Holding off on the elk this year but will probably do deer or/and antelope

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Redraider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 09:13 AM   #5
scubasteven25
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas and New Mexico

Thanks for the reminder. Going to continue to build PP's for elk and deer but it's darn near time to cash in on the antelope PP's with 8 currently.

Good luck to all who do put into the draw.
scubasteven25 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
wytex
Ten Point

You all putting in for deer and pronghorn, wait until they have the seasons and quotas set in late Spring, April , to apply.
We could have winterkill that affects license quotas. That would greatly affect your drawing odds.

Sounds like 3 PP at least is needed for a general tag, LQ will take a bunch .
Old 12-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
JTCowpoke
Eight Point

I think I will have 4 points this year. How many will it take before I will be able to draw a decent unit? I haven't done any research for Wyoming yet.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #8
bdubb
Four Point

Building points to head back to Q Creek for a pronghorn hunt one day.

Are the mountains in the West still the prime elk draw locations? I’ll build points for a few more years before trying for anything in Wyoming though.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 11:54 AM   #9
wytex
Ten Point

NW is known for the big bulls on public land, migration type hunts in big country.
Good elk hunting south in Wyoming Range but lots of deer hunters to contend with.
Bighorns are also known for archery hunting success.
Laramie Peak is a big bull area but really needs to be outfitted in there and it's expensive, some public land but most private and one outfitter has over 250,000 acres of private owned land.

I think you need about 9-10 PP to get a good LQ area, some take more.
General license should be drawn with 3 PP, and you have the option to put in for the Special draw, higher price for better odds in both general and LQ areas.

4-5 PP can get you a good public land pronghorn hunt and our public land hunting is great in most areas, ones with plenty of access to public land.
Hoping this winter treats the pronghorn ok, some of their winter range is not in great shape due to dry summer.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
Sackett
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Lord, I hate the "Points" system/lottery. I understand it, but think it negates a younger hunter from ever being able to draw a prime unit.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
wytex
Ten Point

I agree.
I wish everything was random but it does help with drawing hard to get tags and keeps some folks from drawing many of them over their lifetime. We have very few once in a lifetime tags in Wyoming.
Residents have resisted the call for PP for us on elk and deer, thankfully.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
bigchiefj
Eight Point

I still apply, but the fees make Wyoming elk an expensive proposition when applying for LQ with low points. I burned maximum points in 2016.

Pay to play baby!
bigchiefj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-08-2021, 10:06 PM   #13
popeandyoung151
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wilbarger county, Lake Whitney, MT, CO

I’m still building for deer, elk and pronghorn. Thinking about going the guided route for elk in 2 years.
popeandyoung151 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #14
sleepymedic1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazos/Robertson County/ Mexico

I have 16 points built up. I may try to draw next year. Is there an area and outfitter yall would recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sleepymedic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 03:33 PM   #15
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

I only have 2 points in everything but can’t decide about continuing to build. Their price increases are making other states a lot more attractive so may just cut my losses on WY
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #16
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Lord, I hate the "Points" system/lottery. I understand it, but think it negates a younger hunter from ever being able to draw a prime unit.
I personally have no problem with it and prefer it over every state being complete random. The problem is everyone wants to hunt the prime unit. Not every hunter is okay with second choice and leftover tags. Me, I choose to hunt and build at the same time so when the opportunity for that great tag, it isnít squandered because of lack of experience. Thereís plenty of great animals killed in less than prime units every year, you just have to put the work, time, and with a little luck great trophies and memories can be had.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 08:44 PM   #17
32drawlength
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County, Mexia

Just dropped $1300 on the non-resident special elk tag

Is the draw really out in May?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
32drawlength is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 10:22 PM   #18
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Iíve drawn premium, what would be considered 1-2 in a lifetime tags with zero points several times in my life. Bonus points is where it is at and fair, preference leads to point creep and sucks!

Also gotta play to win!
Bowhuntamistad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 11:07 PM   #19
Vermin93
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public Land

I've got 9 for elk, deer and pronghorn and will be looking to cash in on something this year. I'd like to put a pronghorn in the freezer.
Vermin93 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-09-2021, 11:22 PM   #20
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public land

Iíll be applying for antelope for the first time. The draw odds from last year are confusing. Why do some units say 0 points get 33% drawn, and 1 line up state <1 point gets 80 something % drawn? Isnít that the same thing? Lol. This is an example of the area I plan to apply for.

Jeremy7306 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #21
wytex
Ten Point

[QUOTE=Jeremy7306;15390228]Iíll be applying for antelope for the first time. The draw odds from last year are confusing. Why do some units say 0 points get 33% drawn, and 1 line up state <1 point gets 80 something % drawn? Isnít that the same thing? Lol. This is an example of the area I plan to apply for.

In Wyoming you average your PP if you apply in a party application, and they go out to 4 decimal points I believe, so some can have fractional PP. Less than 1 PP could be .5 PP due to averaging on a party app, that is more than 0 PP.

Best, primo deer areas will take max PP or close. Good ones to be had with way less than max PP or even 0-1. We have decent deer hunting on general Region tags that can be drawn with 0-1 PP.

Great pronghorn to be had with say 7 PP or so, very good hunting areas that take 5-6 PP to draw also. But good hunts can be had in any are with access. More PP gets you areas with more public land and usually more bucks to choose from. Mid tier areas are not bad at all and good bucks can be found on areas with little access.

For elk remember now 25% go into a random draw, everyone that doesn't draw in the PP draw gets thrown into a random draw.
General elk areas have good hunting and you'll need probably 3-4 PP to draw unless last year was a farce.
Better areas take 9 or so and we have archery only tags available in certain areas, Type 9, that can have better draw odds.
Most licenses are valid for archery season and rifle season, just buy an archery license OTC to hunt that season. Type 9 are archery only and no extra archery license in needed.

Reduced price cow tags are all random draw. Some are better late season and some are fine early. There are some full price cow tags too that will take your PP if you draw them, Type 4 tags. Draw odds are usually good on those.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:32 PM   #22
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

@wytex could you explain what the quota number means? Iím confused on that and how it plays into draw odds. This is the unit I planned to apply for with no points. Thank you for the help, the is completely new to me.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:55 PM   #23
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post
@wytex could you explain what the quota number means? Iím confused on that and how it plays into draw odds. This is the unit I planned to apply for with no points. Thank you for the help, the is completely new to me.

The quota listed is a countdown of what's left of the quota. So someone in that list with 5 points burned them on that tag, leaving the next drop down with 1 less tag, and so on.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2021, 11:11 PM   #24
wytex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy7306 View Post

The quota is the number of tags available for that area. They started with 175 tags in the drawing and counted down by PP that were used to draw.
Looks like with your 0 PP odds are about 37% you would draw. If you had a little more than 0 PP odds were 100% to draw.
You could party app with someone that had just 1 PP and both of you would get put into the draw with .5 PP.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:32 AM   #25
Jeremy7306
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
The quota is the number of tags available for that area. They started with 175 tags in the drawing and counted down by PP that were used to draw.
Looks like with your 0 PP odds are about 37% you would draw. If you had a little more than 0 PP odds were 100% to draw.
You could party app with someone that had just 1 PP and both of you would get put into the draw with .5 PP.

I didnít see anything about a party app, but I also didnít look for it. Iíll be hunting with a buddy who is resident there, but Iím not sure if he has any points. This unit was one we could tell had a better first draw rate for no points, will be hunting public.

Old 01-11-2021, 03:55 AM   #26
oliviamia852
Nubbin' Buck

I was looking forward to buy it. Let see what happens.
oliviamia852 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 07:33 AM   #27
IDFWU
Eight Point

Hunt In: Pearsall, Uvalde

Is application for points open as well, or does that come later?
IDFWU is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 08:07 AM   #28
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

I would be stoked to draw a cow elk tag! I keep saying THIS Year is the year I will start applying...time to get off the pot
.270 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #29
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I was born and raised here in Wyoming and I am on the fence with regards to preference points for residents. Why? Because I have drawn one elk tag in the last 11 years and it was for a late season cow tag. Yes, I have heard all of the arguments about how I could easily go hunt a general area tag but in reality, that is not so easy. Access is much more difficult with a lot of it requiring mules or horses to access it, or at the very least to pack one out if you are successful. Most of the general tag areas are in the west and northwestern part of the state where the Grizzly Bears are very numerous and I just don't want to hunt in an area where I have to keep looking over my shoulder for a predator I am not allowed to take unless my life is threatened, and should you pull the trigger, you are treated as guilty until proven innocent.

I think that realistically, as a resident, one should expect to be able to draw a good elk tag every 3-4 years. We have more elk in our state than we have ever had and yet I can't tell you how many friends I hunt with have the same experience I have had.

We have more antelope in our state that people and my feeling is the every resident of this state should be able to draw an antelope tag if they desire one. I did draw a tag last year, the first one in a number of years but I never pulled the trigger because I never saw anything that scored above a 72-73.

We had a lot of late winter/early spring kill last year, especially on deer and antelope. The are I did hunt for antelope had 2400 permits given out last year. I spent a total of 6 full days in the area and all days combined I did not see 2400 antelope in total. I will be very interested to see how the permit numbers are affected this year.

My personal opinion, and I have no scientific evidence to prove it, is that the odds of drawing as a non-resident are better solely because the price of a non-resident tag is so much higher than a resident tag. Our G&F is always wanting more budget money and one way to get it is through non-resident tag revenue.

So, get your tags filled out guys and gals and your money sent in as we do have some wonderful places to hunt up here.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #30
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBull View Post
I was born and raised here in Wyoming and I am on the fence with regards to preference points for residents. Why? Because I have drawn one elk tag in the last 11 years and it was for a late season cow tag. Yes, I have heard all of the arguments about how I could easily go hunt a general area tag but in reality, that is not so easy. Access is much more difficult with a lot of it requiring mules or horses to access it, or at the very least to pack one out if you are successful. Most of the general tag areas are in the west and northwestern part of the state where the Grizzly Bears are very numerous and I just don't want to hunt in an area where I have to keep looking over my shoulder for a predator I am not allowed to take unless my life is threatened, and should you pull the trigger, you are treated as guilty until proven innocent.

I think that realistically, as a resident, one should expect to be able to draw a good elk tag every 3-4 years. We have more elk in our state than we have ever had and yet I can't tell you how many friends I hunt with have the same experience I have had.

We have more antelope in our state that people and my feeling is the every resident of this state should be able to draw an antelope tag if they desire one. I did draw a tag last year, the first one in a number of years but I never pulled the trigger because I never saw anything that scored above a 72-73.

We had a lot of late winter/early spring kill last year, especially on deer and antelope. The are I did hunt for antelope had 2400 permits given out last year. I spent a total of 6 full days in the area and all days combined I did not see 2400 antelope in total. I will be very interested to see how the permit numbers are affected this year.

My personal opinion, and I have no scientific evidence to prove it, is that the odds of drawing as a non-resident are better solely because the price of a non-resident tag is so much higher than a resident tag. Our G&F is always wanting more budget money and one way to get it is through non-resident tag revenue.

So, get your tags filled out guys and gals and your money sent in as we do have some wonderful places to hunt up here.
I'd agree with you on the non resident thing, until you find out people drop 100s of thousands on sheep hunts and all kinds of crazy money to go hunt. Does sound weird to hear that a resident doesnt have much access to the hunting, hunting, and I think that's also why you have higher quality hunts than say colorado.
Hooverfb is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #31
wytex
Ten Point

WyoBull you really should try the Snowies some time, hunting is not bad for a general tag.
We play the odds for our LQ tags and do ok drawing the area we prefer.
Residents have plenty of access for hunting in Wyoming, we can just go purchase general tags for deer an elk and go hunt public land. LQ areas are a random draw for us though.

Residents and NR can not apply as a party together in Wyoming.

The PP application is July - Nov 2.

WyoBull I would like to hear form you later on the winter up there. We have little snow on plains around here but mountains are looking ok for snowpack.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #32
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepymedic1 View Post
I have 16 points built up. I may try to draw next year. Is there an area and outfitter yall would recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sent you a pm on this.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #33
sleepymedic1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazos/Robertson County/ Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by El General View Post
Sent you a pm on this.

Got it. Thank you for the info!

sleepymedic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 10:08 AM   #34
wytex
Ten Point

sleepymedic several folks have come up and gone outfitted, they should have good recc. for you.
A DIY hunt with your PP would be awesome as well.

Only outfit for sure I would not recc. is SnS.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:23 AM   #35
LWC
Ten Point

Wyoming is too far. Don't apply lol. Just kidding. I try to go as much as possible. Best bang for your buck....for now. Good luck to all that apply. I only have one elk point so will be getting another this summer.
LWC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #36
jeff-fro
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lake Ivie & Colorado

I have only ever hunted elk in Colorado but would love to make a little longer road trip to Wyoming. Now just to convince my father-in-law that he should make the switch with me!
Thanks for the info so far in this thread, it is helpful for sure.
jeff-fro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top