Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #1
Katsaregood
Four Point

Default Is there a way to bypass getting a sleep study to obtain a good CPAP?

Seems like I only snore when Iím really tired. Would like to avoid buying anything off Craigslist. Never really intended to drive a tractor trailer full time but the money for doing heavy hauls across states is hard to pass up. Plus I get to work with a great guy Iím related to.
Katsaregood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
7sdad
Ten Point

I didn't think they were all the same, I think some put out more pressure than others. But I'm not sure.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #3
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

The pressure is adjustable on these machines and need to be "studied" so you can have the correct pressure for your needs. Its not a one pressure fits all deal. I wouldn't guess on something like that myself, because too much pressure can have some adverse affects or at least that is what I was told........and not enough won't fix anything. They make them with monitoring cards so the doctor can do it remotely but again that's technically a sleep study.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
Katsaregood
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
The pressure is adjustable on these machines and need to be "studied" so you can have the correct pressure for your needs. Its not a one pressure fits all deal. I wouldn't guess on something like that myself, because too much pressure can have some adverse affects or at least that is what I was told........and not enough won't fix anything. They make them with monitoring cards so the doctor can do it remotely but again that's technically a sleep study.
Ok thanks. Makes sense. Just have a lot to juggle at the moment.
Katsaregood is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #5
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsaregood View Post
Seems like I only snore when Iím really tired. Would like to avoid buying anything off Craigslist. Never really intended to drive a tractor trailer full time but the money for doing heavy hauls across states is hard to pass up. Plus I get to work with a great guy Iím related to.
You might want to talk with your dentist they have some devices
That helps with snoring
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #6
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

If its just snoring you dont need a CPAP. Ask folks around you. They will tell you if you stop breathing for long periods of time and are crazy loud when you start breathing again.

Snore guard from a dentist may do the trick.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #7
Maddox
Ten Point

Ebay, classifieds, Craigs List.

People buy them all the time and don’t use them.

Mask and cables can be purchased and put together with a prescription.
Maddox is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:17 PM   #8
one66stang
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Lake , Tx

Its not the smart thing to do, BUT as stated above EBAY, craigslist, local garage sales and such. Start low and work up. Just google how to adjust the pressure
one66stang is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #9
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by one66stang View Post
Its not the smart thing to do, BUT as stated above EBAY, craigslist, local garage sales and such. Start low and work up. Just google how to adjust the pressure
Sounds like buying drugs off the sleeziest guy on the street....I would agree with Smart on this situation, let the pros do their job
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:25 PM   #10
Brown County Man
Eight Point

Get an auto cpap and it will adjust what you need.
Brown County Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #11
jlp04c
Eight Point

I bought one on here.. been working great once I got it dialed in!
jlp04c is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #12
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
This^^^ Talk to you local Doc. They can do it all from your own bed VIA cell phone. Sleep apnea is nothing to ignore.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:46 PM   #13
Bucknaked
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghouse View Post
This^^^ Talk to you local Doc. They can do it all from your own bed VIA cell phone. Sleep apnea is nothing to ignore.
This is how my sleep study was done! Super easy, just put it on and go to sleep! Sleep apnea can cause heart disease so you may not want to chance that!

Personally, I wouldnít want to use someone elseís machine unless it has been serviced by a medical supply store.
Bucknaked is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 08:25 PM   #14
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown County Man View Post
Get an auto cpap and it will adjust what you need.
Even autos need setup with min and max pressures by a DR.

OP. If you think you have a problem go let the Dr figure it out. This isnít something you can just try to wing it.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 08:53 PM   #15
W E H
Six Point

Hunt In: Lavaca County USA

I gave one away on here a month or so ago. Iíve got another older one you can have if you want. Itís probably set on 15. Which is about the halfway to higher point. Itís a big bulky one. I can make sure it turns on before I ship it.

Youíd want to buy your own mask. Lots of places you can buy them online without a prescriptions you just buy mask and headgear ďseparatelyĒ. I like the ones that I can still wear glasses and read with it on. For falling asleep and not worrying about having it on.

Let me know if you want it.

Iíd sure advise you to take the sleep study or even the home sleep study test. Itís a life changer if itís setup right.

Walt.
W E H is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #16
CoolHandLuke
Ten Point

Hunt In: Del Rio

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
If its just snoring you dont need a CPAP. Ask folks around you. They will tell you if you stop breathing for long periods of time and are crazy loud when you start breathing again.

Snore guard from a dentist may do the trick.

Itís also about how you feel. Iím very fit and exercise daily. I was always tired and my wife said I snored like a champ and would stop breathing. When I told my physician he looked at me like I was crazy but set me up with a sleep study. I canít sleep without it and itís night and day how I feel.
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 10:42 PM   #17
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr Co, Brazoria Co, Colorado Co

Suck it up and make time for a sleep study. Will save your life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 10:49 PM   #18
No-Tox
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Check out one of the online CPAP stores and they will assist you with getting a sleep study, usually a home sleep study.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 06:07 AM   #19
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Get the study done. My best friend from HS died from sleep apnea. They found him in the sleeper of his rig at a truck stop. He was 42yrs old.
Goldeneagle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 08:33 AM   #20
BarBBar
Six Point

Hunt In: Burnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked View Post
This is how my sleep study was done! Super easy, just put it on and go to sleep! Sleep apnea can cause heart disease so you may not want to chance that!

Personally, I wouldnít want to use someone elseís machine unless it has been serviced by a medical supply store.
Some used machines were used by smokers. Maybe your health insurance will cover the cost.

I would also get a backup unit, and a battery for power outages. I can't function without my CPAP. Sleep apnea gave me atrial fibulation (heart failure), which gave me a stroke, and required a twelve hour surgery to improve the electrical function of the heart. My sleep study was in a sleep lab which I hated. Without my machine, I go back into AFIB due to the stress of a not breathing.
BarBBar is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #21
JFFB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Pointe Coupee
Thumbs up Insphire

I think this how its spelt. You might take a look at this. No mask.
JFFB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 09:56 AM   #22
KSU_Wildcat
Four Point

Hunt In: Eastland County

My doctor set me up to do an at-home sleep study. Wore a wi-fi wrist monitor connected to a finger cuff and monitor I stuck on my chest. Downloaded an app. The next morning the app uploaded my data to the company. Didnt have to spend the night in unfamiliar surroundings and only cost $250. Much cheaper than going to a sleep study center.
KSU_Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #23
El General
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke County

At home sleep study and an APAP is probably the quickest way.
El General is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 12:41 PM   #24
Lonewolf
Six Point

Hunt In: Young and Palo Pinto counties

I personally think the in home sleep studies are a waste of money. I have had 2 and all they tell me is you have sleep apnea and with insurance you can buy a CPAP machine for $800 or you can not use insurance and buy one off the internet for $500 to $600.
I bought my first one off of Craig’s List new from a lady for $150. Then did the sleep study and bought another one, I couldn’t tell a difference in the two.

It I do highly recommend using the CPAP it’s a game changer for sure.
Lonewolf is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #25
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia Nebraska

If you want to save a bunch of $$$$ Just buy a good used one.. I bought used and it was new(never used)... Masks are easy to get. Set the pressure to what you like. It won't kill you to wear it either way. If you don't have sleep apnea you'll be fine and if you do it will help and you will be even better... It's just extra air/oxygen!!! Done it for years.. People make to big of a deal out of the sleep study...
ttaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-17-2021, 01:03 PM   #26
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaxidermy View Post
If you want to save a bunch of $$$$ Just buy a good used one.. I bought used and it was new(never used)... Masks are easy to get. Set the pressure to what you like. It won't kill you to wear it either way. If you don't have sleep apnea you'll be fine and if you do it will help and you will be even better... It's just extra air/oxygen!!! Done it for years.. People make to big of a deal out of the sleep study...

Wow..... so if he has apnea and he doesnt get enough air to fix it because it feels good to him and he dies, do you have malpractice insurance?

Itís not just extra oxygen if you have apnea. The air pressure opens your airways so that you donít have apnea episodes... it not just about more oxygen.

Last edited by Smart; 04-17-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:04 PM   #27
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Wow
What?? I guess you payed big $$$.. Lol..
Old 04-17-2021, 01:06 PM   #28
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
What?? I guess you payed big $$$.. Lol..

My insurance paid for a sleep study and my units . I have bought a few backups out of pocket used but I let the doctors set my pressure because I like living.
Old 04-17-2021, 01:10 PM   #29
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
My insurance paid for a sleep study and my units. I have bought a few backups used but I let the doctors set my pressure because I like living.
If you don't have enough pressure you'll know it quick especially if you are wearing the full mask... No one has ever died from to much pressure but you will know that too..
Old 04-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #30
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
If you don't have enough pressure you'll know it quick especially if you are wearing the full mask... No one has ever died from to much pressure but you will know that too..

Yeah if they have severe apnea youíll know itís too low if you get to wake up that day. If....

Too high pressure..? See below. Iíll take my chances with a doctor and monitoring the machine while they are awake and Iím asleep... me guessing errr monitoring myself while Iím asleep sounds like a recipe for disaster.

At least OP get the monitoring CPAP system from home

Last edited by Smart; 04-17-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:41 PM   #31
Electrican
Pope & Young

Quote:
Donít follow this advice.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:05 PM   #32
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrican View Post
Don’t follow this advice.
Why not... I know several who do the same as me. We are all fine..
How many people do you personally know who have died from setting their air own pressure? I have never heard of any..
Old 04-17-2021, 06:02 PM   #33
Electrican
Pope & Young

Quote:
Why not... I know several who do the same as me. We are all fine..
How many people do you personally know who have died from setting their air own pressure? I have never heard of any..
Yeah your right, just go buy a CPAP and self diagnose yourself and self adjust pressures for apnea. Nobody got time for Dr. (or money in your case probably) How do you know you even have apnea or a problem? Why are you and several others you speak of using them and spending $$$$? Hell why even use the uncomfortable thing if you donít know thereís a problem?
Old 04-30-2021, 08:46 AM   #34
YarikN
Nubbin' Buck

I'm sorry you have such a problem. My brother also suffers from sleep apnea. The problem with CPAP is that while you're using it, your sleep apnea symptoms stop. Your breathing and your sleep are healthy. If you stop using CPAP, your sleep apnea symptoms will come back. Also, my brother noticed that his ears started popping when using CPAP. Having addressed the ear doctor staten island clinic. he found out that CPAP use has been linked to increases in air pressure in the ear that can cause problems. According to the latest study, sleep apnea was associated with a 31 percent increase in high-frequency hearing impairment and a 90 percent increase in low-frequency hearing impairment. But still, CPAP is the most effective way to avoid sleep apnea. And the audiologist recommended my brother avoid consuming meats that are high in saturated fats (burgers, steak, pork, bacon, lamb, and sausage) as they can cause inflammation throughout your body, which can lead to cardiovascular problems. This is a big risk factor if you have sleep apnea.
YarikN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 09:17 AM   #35
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Check with your doc and get it done. I've done 2 in lab and 1 in home study, insurance paid for all. If it turns out you don't need a CPAP then get the device to use while you sleep.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 09:29 AM   #36
dipstick105
Six Point

I did a sleep study at the house, Doc said I needed a CPAP and I bought the machine he suggested with a "SMART CHIP" in it, the machine will self adjust to the amount of air you need. I tried it for about a week and it didn't. finally went to a Low T specialist and after blood work found out I needed TRT treatment. All better now!

I still have the CPAP machine and all the accessories if you or someone is interested PM
dipstick105 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #37
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrican View Post
Yeah your right, just go buy a CPAP and self diagnose yourself and self adjust pressures for apnea. Nobody got time for Dr. (or money in your case probably) How do you know you even have apnea or a problem? Why are you and several others you speak of using them and spending $$$$? Hell why even use the uncomfortable thing if you don’t know there’s a problem?
Yea I know I'm right..
My heart Dr diagnosed me after wearing a monitor for a few days.
But anyway I quit using mine because they are addictive and a PITA.. I know guys now who cannot sleep without their machine running and panic at the thought of not having it.. I do need that ball and chain..
They require a power supply no matter where you go and I go a lot of places with no 110v power.. And I don't want to spend money on more junk just so I can do something that should come natural.. SLEEP!!!
I found that diet and exercise are healthier.. Stop drinking alcohol hours before bedtime or all together can greatly help too..

Last edited by ttaxidermy; 04-30-2021 at 10:10 AM.