Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-24-2021, 01:52 AM   #51
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.

Go tankless and use propane, install them close to the bathrooms so you donít have to wait on hot water and put them in an exterior wall thatís part of the heated home and insulate the supply and hot line.
I mounted one of mine in a garage wall and the pex will freeze when itís really cold if I donít leave the water dripping or run a heat lamp on it. The other one i have on the other end of the house does fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 02:09 AM   #52
PlanoDano
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX, ID, CO

Interested in the responses, We had that choice over a decade ago and went with an oversized tank with re-circulation in the farthest reaches. It gives us hot water within 5 seconds anywhere in the house. Still don't know if it was the correct decision. Had to replace the tank after about 12 years.
PlanoDano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 08:14 AM   #53
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
More expensive initially at installation. Less longevity (never heard of one last 10 years). Encourages more water usage = waste.
I am going on 11 years with mine!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #54
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
Wrong on many levels. Im on year 15 on one and 12 on another. Where it so called waste water it saves on electricity/gas as its not heater water in a tank throughout the day. Tank units are a dying breed.
Builders don't choose to install electric water heaters. Dying breed? Natural gas tank heaters are the #1 product installed today in new construction. You can view every approved permit at City of Houston and City of Conroe if you have an account.

Tank units are barely burning gas May through September because of the Texas attic temps. Gas bills are less than $30/month for a family of 4 until the furnaces are in use during winter months.

Tankless hot water is a luxury feature, not a money saving feature. Consumer Reports even completed a study on this many years ago.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 08:22 AM   #55
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer in CO,WY, TX, AK. Bass, Trout, and Reds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
I am going on 11 years with mine!
That's good.

Parents single 50 gallon tank is on year 38. I'm on year 19 with my 2 40 gallon tanks.

Sister went tankless and had to replace it before year 5.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:32 AM   #56
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

No sense in installing a water heater if you have hot water already.

I looked into a tankless not long ago. Plumber told me with the hard water we have, I would also need to do some kind of water softening system with filtration pre water heater. Started to get expensive quick and just stuck with what has been working. Not sure how true this is.
Big Lee is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #57
wellingtontx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Collingsworth County, Texas

Tankless on Demand. Greatness. Never wait for hot water anywhere in the house. Plus IMO significant savings on utility bills. I would NOT go back to traditional hot water heater.
wellingtontx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 09:12 AM   #58
7sdad
Ten Point

My son has a plumbing company and he said he won't install an electric tankless unless the customer insist. And they make two different types of tankless, one were it circulates and you have hot water on demand and the other type doesn't heat it water until you turn it on and you have to wait for it to get to you.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #59
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellingtontx View Post
Tankless on Demand. Greatness. Never wait for hot water anywhere in the house. Plus IMO significant savings on utility bills. I would NOT go back to traditional hot water heater.

This.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 09:21 AM   #60
DNTRanch
Ten Point

Hunt In: Runnels County

Quote:
Originally Posted by tps7742 View Post
Does yours have a continuous recirculating line on the system? Ours does and it cuts down on the wait time. Downside in our case it does use more C3 than I expected with the recirculating line. We live a very rural area and have C3 but the only two things we have on gas is the stove top and water heater.

Need to know more about this recirculating pump??? And the timer??
That's my wife's biggest complaint is it takes a long time for the hot to get to the kitchen, had ours put above the main bath so fine there. Is this an easy install?
DNTRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 09:56 AM   #61
SharpEnd
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTRanch View Post
Need to know more about this recirculating pump??? And the timer??
That's my wife's biggest complaint is it takes a long time for the hot to get to the kitchen, had ours put above the main bath so fine there. Is this an easy install?
We have ours set up this way, I had it installed when we built, pretty simple setup though it requires a plumber. I added the timer myself, bought an industrial mechanical timer from eBay, although most any type would work. The only pain is that it is in the attic above the garage and if we have a power outage of 30+ minutes, or when we adjust the clocks for DST I have to adjust the timer accordingly to restore the schedule. Without a timer it would run 24/7, which I didn't want. The pump is about 13 yrs old, no issues. We just replaced the water heaters last year.
SharpEnd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 10:38 AM   #62
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I've had both and they both have advantages. I have tankless and really like it, and on year 9.

Gas Tank heater:

Pros:

Cheaper, works without electricity, works better with "on demand"

Cons:

I only could get about 7 years out of a 40-60 gallon water heater tank before they started leaking.

set volume of hot water, so running out while in the shower while someone doing dishes, clothes, happened several times if I was last to shower.

Tankless gas:

Pros: Less space and unlimited hot water!!!

Cons: they still require 110V to ignite, so it power is out you don't have hot water unless you hook up a generator. Takes a while to get hot water to the faucet. Significant increased gas use if you make it on demand.

Last edited by BrianL; 02-24-2021 at 10:41 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 10:40 AM   #63
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
That's good.

Parents single 50 gallon tank is on year 38. I'm on year 19 with my 2 40 gallon tanks.

Sister went tankless and had to replace it before year 5.
That has to be an electric, I have never got over about 8 years from a gas.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #64
parkchief100
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sunset, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY View Post
Anyone using tankless with electricity (over gas - I don't have gas access).
Propane- large tanks are your friend!
parkchief100 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #65
Arrowslinger1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rotan tx, Coleman ok

I have two tankless external wall vented Gas Water heaters. They are awesome. If I had it to over again I'd put them in the attic and vent through the roof. I had to put the shop heater on them during this artic storm we just had. It wasnt a problem otherwise. The lines slowed down and once I heated and wrapped them with insulation they were fine the whole time.
Also another good reason to put them in the attic is that the location can be more centralized to the house. I does take a minute for the hot water to reach the longer runs to the kitchen and Laundry room. Just an FYI...
Arrowslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #66
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Builders don't choose to install electric water heaters. Dying breed? Natural gas tank heaters are the #1 product installed today in new construction. You can view every approved permit at City of Houston and City of Conroe if you have an account.

Tank units are barely burning gas May through September because of the Texas attic temps. Gas bills are less than $30/month for a family of 4 until the furnaces are in use during winter months.

Tankless hot water is a luxury feature, not a money saving feature. Consumer Reports even completed a study on this many years ago.
Oh I don't doubt every tract home builder is throwing tank heaters in homes. My point is % wise everyday we move more towards tankless. I doubt think they are money savers. I do think they are space savers and unlimited hot water. They have been very reliable for me and I wouldn't own a home without one or two.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #67
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
It's about maintenance due to your water qualities. They have to be flushed. That's why the plumbing and valve is there. Don't hold onto excessive calcium.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #68
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
I've had both and they both have advantages. I have tankless and really like it, and on year 9.

Gas Tank heater:

Pros:

Cheaper, works without electricity, works better with "on demand"

Cons:

I only could get about 7 years out of a 40-60 gallon water heater tank before they started leaking.

set volume of hot water, so running out while in the shower while someone doing dishes, clothes, happened several times if I was last to shower.

Tankless gas:

Pros: Less space and unlimited hot water!!!

Cons: they still require 110V to ignite, so it power is out you don't have hot water unless you hook up a generator. Takes a while to get hot water to the faucet. Significant increased gas use if you make it on demand.
Doesn't take any longer than a tank heat in same spot.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2021, 03:10 PM   #69
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
Doesn't take any longer than a tank heat in same spot.
It does take a little longer even from the same spot. Once you turn on faucet the tankless senses the flow of water, then ignites the burner, then starts heating cold water flowing thru the pipe. Cold water has been flowing thru the heater for at least 5-10 seconds before it reaches temp going thru tankless heater. I have a shop sink 3 feet from my tankless. But what I was referring to was a tank works better with on demand or instant hot recirculation.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #70
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
It's about maintenance due to your water qualities. They have to be flushed. That's why the plumbing and valve is there. Don't hold onto excessive calcium.
Yep on this. Was told by a plumber to descale once per year!
Old 02-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #71
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've never lived where hard water was an issue. My issue has always been where the tank will rust out at the bottom due to the burner and heat.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:59 PM   #72
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've never lived where hard water was an issue. My issue has always been where the tank will rust out at the bottom due to the burner and heat.
Lubbock is horrific! Hot water heaters do not last long in that city!
Old 02-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #73
DBLHKUP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Burleson Co, Webb Co

Whether we’ve been lucky or what...our tankless Rennai natural gas system has worked flawlessly. The 2 hot water tanks we had prior gave me all kinds of calcium build up problems after a few years...and I got tired of dealing with it. The tankless is on its 8th year with no issues what so ever. I haven’t done one thing to it since installation. No water softener on this water. Been very impressed to say the least.
DBLHKUP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 06:58 AM   #74
Stolle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Gary! Forgot about the electric one we have at the fish camp. Itís been running strong since we built the place in 2009. Oh and Iíve never flushed any of ours and they still work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Stolle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 08:25 AM   #75
tigerscowboy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Yep on this. Was told by a plumber to descale once per year!
Absolutely good advice. I begin the flush on mine 2x a year when I go up to change the air filters. Everytime I go up in a customer or friends attic I start a flush on the tanks. Probably the only time it gets done.

Like a truck/car, when you don't maintain it you will experience more issues.

I got 17 yrs out of 2 bottom of the line 12 SEER York HVAC units by maintaining and cleaning them. Meanwhile, I have customers that now hate 3 to 5 yr old Trane units when they do ZERO upkeep or maintenance.

A Lexus will crap out on you when you don't take care of it.

Tankless requires little to nothing which is part of the luxury, not efficiency.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #76
Greenheadless
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty County

Quote:
Mine is going on 29 years old (I really shouldnít have posted that, Murphyís law and all)

Takagi brand from Japan.
Greenheadless is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #77
Smokeater
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tree

Nice to have all the options whatever we get. I just put a timer on my tank heater so it's only on about 6 or 7 hrs. a day. Dont even want to try and retrofit for tankless. Got a gas one on other side of house..nice if we loose power.
I did learn something yesterday tho. Friend had one of the ecosomething smaller electric ones in a small guest house. (has done well so far) Turned the water off and drained lines for the big freeze but didn't think to turn off the power. Air in the lines made it come on. Burnt the thermistor out on it. Company educated us on that and said the part is in the mail!
For the money, and if it was all electric, could you just put multiple of the small ones in?
Maintenance is key on all of em tho.
Smokeater is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #78
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY View Post
Anyone using tankless with electricity (over gas - I don't have gas access).
My son has electric tankless in the attic with pex lines. Only issue is scale, bad enough to bust fixtures. He circulates scale remover through it twice a year. Looking at add a Flow Tech system to knock the scale out.

I have a gas tankless mounted outside next to the kitchen and master bath, works great and easy to maintain. Added an aluminum cover over the hoses and valves and a drop light to prevent winter freeze. The guest bath 40 feet away takes a little longer to get hot.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #79
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Hearing the tankless didnít fare so well over the ice apocalypse. Anyone have theirs bust? Nearly tried one on a barn glad I havenít pulled trigger yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txwhitetail is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 07:47 PM   #80
DosToros
Six Point

Hunt In: Jim Wells County, Oklahoma, Kansas

Iím in the traditional crowd. Spent a lot money trying to make tankless work.
DosToros is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 08:03 PM   #81
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

When I was building the barndo in 2017, I researched both the gas and electric. At the time, electric tankless systems were having problems. I didn't want gas because of having the deal with the tank, fuel, etc.
I ended up putting the short 40 gal electric conventional water heater in the corner of the loft where it didn't really consume space. In addition, it is directly over the master bath and only 12 feet or less from the guest bath, so there is no wait time and very little wasted water.
That said, I have a gas tankless in my house. Other than the master shower being the farthest possible, and the time and wasted water it takes to get hot water there, I guess it works ok.

Last edited by El Paisano; 03-08-2021 at 08:06 PM.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-08-2021, 08:06 PM   #82
Horns1
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post
Hearing the tankless didnít fare so well over the ice apocalypse. Anyone have theirs bust? Nearly tried one on a barn glad I havenít pulled trigger yet.

Mine busted, but my own fault - when the power went out completely forgot to drain it, as I drained the pool pumps. They have built in freeze protection, just doesnít work very well when the power goes out for 3 days... love it compared to a traditional.

Horns1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #83
Backwoods101
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie, Kimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by txwhitetail View Post

Mine went out after the first round of power surges. It was 5 months old

Backwoods101 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-09-2021, 09:52 PM   #84
DKW II
Six Point

Hunt In: South Texas

My last two homes I built I put tankless in both and never had an issue.
DKW II is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top