Turkey Roost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Roost

We no longer have any large trees at our ranch in Stonewall County. So to try to attract turkeys I have decided to build some artificial roosts. I am attaching a cheap
    decoy on top to hopefully entice them to come and have a sit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested to see if this works

Comment

I've seen corn buzzards roosting on top of telephone pole cross members many times. The will adapt but turkeys do like to roost over water or creek beds where they can for some reason. I know when they fly down in the mornings they almost always fly down to the other side be it stock tank or creek bed.

Comment

If this doesn't work, I would try telephone poles.

I used to lease a place that turkey would only roost on the telephone/power poles on the place. There would usually be 2-3 per pole in several areas of the property.

Comment

Also interested to see if this works, good luck OP.

Comment

It looks like, from the photo, that you have a habitat issue too. Turkeys like a mix of dense and open areas. Places that I've been where the majority of the brush had been cleared were devoid of turkeys.

Comment

A hundred years from now someone is going to come across that and start a “What is this” thread on TBH

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                It looks like, from the photo, that you have a habitat issue too. Turkeys like a mix of dense and open areas. Places that I've been where the majority of the brush had been cleared were devoid of turkeys.

This is a small open area close to some mesquite brush that you can’t see. There were turkeys on a telephone pole less than 50 yards from this location so that’s why I put it there most of the ranches, heavily drawn and low brush but like I said, we have no tall trees because there was a huge fire years ago so we’ll see if it works or not.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                  If this doesn't work, I would try telephone poles.

I used to lease a place that turkey would only roost on the telephone/power poles on the place. There would usually be 2-3 per pole in several areas of the property.

Yeah, that was my first plan but I have an abundance of pipe so if this will work, it will make it easier to set them up and I don’t have to go get telephone poles.

Comment

Maybe put a funnel or cone on it to prevent varmits from climbing?

Comment

It works on San Jose Island. Made of wood with cross bars like a telephone pole

Comment

Good idea, why not? Good luck and report back.

Comment

We’ve had two producers put up artificial turkey roosts east of Aspermont with pretty good success. They have used telephone poles and 2x4’s.

Comment

...and after a lightning storm you can stop by and pick up your fully-cooked turkey dinner.

Comment

Keep us posted on whether or not it works. I have talked to our local biologist and he has shown me many different pics of homemade turkey roosts from pipe like yours to pipe and cedar posts, 2x4s off windmills etc.. They have all had success. I have put some up with 4x4s and 2x4s and put 2x4s as high up in our taller stouter trees as I could get them. They hadn't been used yet but they are new.

Comment

Working...
                              X