Fred Bear knife project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fred Bear knife project

I've been into archery much longer than knifemaking, but have never yet tried to combine the two. For a year now I've been gathering materials to do a Fred Bear knife project. This thread will document things as they go. I'm doing most of the documentation on social media reels and shorts which this board doesn't embed well, so there will be more links than I like. I'll try to put some pictures in as well, but the video links will tell the story better.

Here’s the first glimpse of a canister damascus project for Blade Show in Atlanta first week of June. It all starts with an arrow in a can. What else will go...

First video is a teaser. I'm going to put a 15n20 "arrow" in a canister, then fill the outside of the can with vintage Razorheads and 1095 powder.

Here's a glimpse of the arrow in the canister at the top of the pic, and of the type of broadheads I'm using. I burned off the paint and then scotchbrited the heads prior to putting them in the canister. I almost made a critical error at the very beginning, or two. First, I used every single last bit of 1095 powder. I almost didn't have enough to fill the can. Second, the can BARELY fits in my forge opening, scraping the sides. The can is 2x2x6. I'll work it mostly in the direction where things compress onto the sides of the arrow, so it'll fit plenty better after the first pass.

Last edited by Jason Fry; 04-04-2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

This will be cool.

Comment

A little more about the arrowheads and what all goes into the canister
        Likely weld it all on Friday.
        In my previous video, I showed making an arrow shape inside of a canister for damascus. This video shows what else goes in the can, vintage Fred Bear broad h...

Comment

In for this one

Comment

Going to be interesting seeing the final product.

Comment

I'll tag along.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Comment

This should be a cool looking knife! Following along

Comment

Stuck the billets before lunch. Was working on the meteorite billet and a couple of other random pattern component billets. Also had to disassemble and rebuild the spring pack on the power hammer. Doing that gave the canisters a good long soak.

Meteorite billet is at 25 layers ready for a restack. Probably do 100 layer on the restack, then do one more time to get it to 400.

I have a billet of random at 90 layers that I'll probably restack to 360.

AAAAAND then I f'ed up the Fred Bear. Lost track of my billet orientation and sliced the loaf the wrong direction.

All is not lost, however. The inside of the loaf we'll be able to clearly see the broadheads. Cleaned up the cut joint and I'll weld it back together and slice it the other way. I wonder if I'll ever get to a point where ****e just goes together right. In the mean time, I'm learning how to fix stuff.

Comment

Hammer on!

Comment

Nailed it. Video tomorrow.

Next I’ll shape this billet into kind of a knife shape, and put edges of twist damascus in kind of a “picture window” format.

It’ll be two more weekends, at least before I get another chance to dive in hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Arrow in a knife blade? Custom damascus!
                        This block of solid steel has vintage Fred Bear Razorheads in the background and a 15n20 arrow running down the middle. The billet will be part of two blades...

The arrow came out good, and the little black squiggle to the left of the arrowhead is with a broadhead steel will look like.

Comment

Nice work Jason. Looking forward to the final product!

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Got an unexpected work day today after yesterday’s fence building went faster than expected. I formed and got the twist bars into what will be the final billet. Next forge welding day, this one will get welded.

Comment

Billet is all welded up. Video has the pattern reveal!

Damascus from arrow heads part 6

Lots of grinding to do next.

Comment

Working...
                              X