Unique Hispanic Dish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unique Hispanic Dish

I would like to see if anyone is familiar with a meal I had at a small, out-of-the-way Mexican restaurant in Baton Rouge once. Had never had this before (or since) and it was delicious. The chef told us he specializes in sauces. Anyway, the plate was first layered with sautéed nopales strips and onions. Then covered with browned seasoned ground meat, and topped with an unusual sauce/gravy. Then on top of the gravy around the edges where homemade tortilla chips (from baking small strips of tortilla seasoned with a salt mix). This was the whole meal and covered a large plate. The gravy/sauce was really unique and seemed to me to be a mixture of brown gravy with bits of tomato and some tomato based sauce. More or less a mix of brown and red gravy. It was not exceptionally spicy but was seasoned just right. This meal was excellent -- very delicious. When I returned to this restaurant a couple of months later, it was closed with a sign saying it had moved. I never located it, and not sure he ever re-opened.

Anyway, has anyone ever had this or something similar? I would love to find a recipe for this or even find a restaurant that serves something similar with napoles, ground beef, and an appropriate gravy.

No clue but would def eat some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Coon-arse Carne Guisada Nachos?

Sounds good!

Comment

Interested in the recipe as well… this is a screen shot of a recipe that googled up from “nopales con carne molida”… this is still in the pan but does it look similar?
        Attached Files

Comment

Well in this recipe the nopales and onions were cooked separately as was the ground meat, then the gravy was added onto the plate right before serving, and the gravy was basically brown with bits of tomato and chilies and had almost a tart/acidic taste as well as a smooth rough taste. Very complex, but addicting taste which married well when mixed with the nopales and meat and the crisp tortillas on the plate.

Comment

I attempted to make this dish once using a medium rough gravy with canned rotel tomatoes added. Was not bad, actually was pretty good, but not the dish I had.

Comment

It’s sounds very good as you described it. Never heard/seen the word rough to describe gravy. Was it just a bit of a tick sauce as in coat a spoon consistency?

Comment

As a Hispanic that’s eating nopales with just about everything you can cook it with, I’ve never heard of that exact dish. I’m guessing the chef added his own special touches/gravy to the dish. Nopales con carne molida is super common, the gravy part not so much. A la Mexicana is basically tomato, onion, and chile. The “gravy” could’ve been a salsa verde or roja.

Comment

I might start posting some of the food my wife makes, she’s originally from Mexico and gets down in the kitchen.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                    I might start posting some of the food my wife makes, she’s originally from Mexico and gets down in the kitchen.
                    Please do Sir.

Comment

As a Hispanic that’s eating nopales with just about everything you can cook it with, I’ve never heard of that exact dish. I’m guessing the chef added his own special touches/gravy to the dish. Nopales con carne molida is super common, the gravy part not so much. A la Mexicana is basically tomato, onion, and chile. The “gravy” could’ve been a salsa verde or roja.
                      You may be right, the chef may have come up with this on his own. I’m sure he did with the gravy as he indicated sauces was his specialty.

That would be great!

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      It’s sounds very good as you described it. Never heard/seen the word rough to describe gravy. Was it just a bit of a tick sauce as in coat a spoon consistency?
                      A roux gravy is where the flour/oil is browned to some degree before used as the thickening agent in whatever other ingredients in your gravy. I usually cheat and use a spoon or two of prepared jar rough. Usually a light or medium brown rough unless used in gumbo - which is always dark.

Comment

It might have been like a carne guisada sauce.
                        Attached Files

Comment

mole`sauce? mixed with ground beef?

Comment

It might have been like a carne guisada sauce.
                            That does look good! I am familiar with carne guisada, and it was very different than that. The sauce might have been some variation of mole sauce. Is it common to add tomatoes/tomato sauce to mole?
                            Last edited by McClain; 04-02-2023, 06:01 AM.

Comment

He was just cleaning out the fridge before their move.

Comment

Working...
                              X