Perennial Forage Planting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perennial Forage Planting

This spring we are going to plant some native perennial forage on some areas that are exposed due to bulldozing, etc. or that we will disk ahead of time. Right now we will likely go with Texas Perennial Wildlife Mix from Turner seeds based on what I have gathered here and comparing price, seed mix, etc from Turner. I'm thinking we will plant 6 acres (6 bags) this year and then do a similar amount every year for a while or maybe if we have success increase the amount per year. This will be in addition to the 10 or so acres we plant in spring food plots (Turner Spring Deer). As an FYI, this is the first time we have planted in the spring on our new place. We planted a few acres in food plots last fall and they did pretty well. Those were a wildlife mix from the local feed store that my dad got.

So my question is what is the best way to plant it? Not how to plant it as we have that covered. More specifically, would this be more effective in blocks or strips? My 2 thoughts are blocks up to an acre or so or doing say an 8' wide strip for half a mile to a mile stretches next to new roads, etc. I can see advantages to both but I'm leaning towards the long strips with the reason being ultimately we would love to have this stuff take off and grow all over the ranch. So rather than have it concentrated in a couple of large areas and have it spread from there I'm thinking of having it spread from strips to maybe get more areas of the ranch exposed to seed quicker. What are your thoughts on this and/or what have y'all had success with in the past? We may end up doing both and see what works better but any direct experience we can apply to kick start our process would be appreciated.

6 bags for 6 acres seems pretty light to me

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
      6 bags for 6 acres seems pretty light to me
      Ill check w Turner when I order but it will be whatever they recommend per ac for 6 acres.

Comment

What is in the mix ?

Comment

Strips better than blocks to keep wildlife and livestock from camping out on it. We did a bunch of the native reseeding via Turner mix (a heck of a lot more than 6 acres).

Our method was broadcast by the truck load and then heavy short term cattle grazing to let hoof action take care of the seeding in a natural fashion. I was pleasantly surprised with the success rate and the degree of preference that deer showed for Illinois Bundleflower and Purple Prairie Clover in the following years.

Comment

Either strips or blocks will work. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I like the long strips myself as it provides more edge habitat.

We've used that mix in the past and the only thing is how you plant it. If you are using a broadcaster you will need to include the same amount of weight with a carrier (i.e. cat litter, fertilizer, etc.). For example, if you are going to plant 10lbs of this mix then you need to add 10lbs of the carrier. There are some fluffy native grass seeds in this mix and this carrier will help ensure that the seeds are thrown out properly. If you are using a native seed drill, then you don't need to worry about adding the carrier. I hope this helps!

Comment

No advice, but I will be following. I hope it works out great for you. i have tried several perennial plantings over the past few years without much success.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that it takes time before you start seeing any of these native perennials to start growing. We've used a lot of Turner Seed's native perennials and everything has grown but you won't start seeing a ton of growth until the 2nd and 3rd year. We typically broadcast over recently dozed areas and then either drag over it or cultipack over it and have had great success in the past. We'll be planting another 10 acres of natives next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  What is in the mix ?
                  This is the mix I'm looking at for perennial:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Forbs.png
Views:	2
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	24704945

This is in addition to 10 acres of actual food plots and 2-3 acres of dove plots which will be this:

Name:	Spring Deer.png
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	24704946

Name:	Spring Dove.png
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	24704947

Comment

Also following.

What county are you in, cehorn?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolver View Post
                      Strips better than blocks to keep wildlife and livestock from camping out on it. We did a bunch of the native reseeding via Turner mix (a heck of a lot more than 6 acres).
                      Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                      Either strips or blocks will work. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I like the long strips myself as it provides more edge habitat.

We've used that mix in the past and the only thing is how you plant it. If you are using a broadcaster you will need to include the same amount of weight with a carrier (i.e. cat litter, fertilizer, etc.). For example, if you are going to plant 10lbs of this mix then you need to add 10lbs of the carrier. There are some fluffy native grass seeds in this mix and this carrier will help ensure that the seeds are thrown out properly. If you are using a native seed drill, then you don't need to worry about adding the carrier. I hope this helps!
                      It will likely end up being both strips and blocks but I'm thinking more strips. Ultimately what I'm trying to accomplish is to maximize the areas that aren't covered in rocks, trees and hills with what is best for the deer vs grasses, etc. that may be best for the cows. It may be a couple of years but my hope is to be wildlife exempt and not have cows at all to deal with. At that point as far as I'm concerned every plant on the property can be for the benefit of the wildlife. So given that, with strips I feel like I'm touching more areas of the ranch with room for it to grow naturally and if we are patient and have success more of the ranch will have the forbs, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion on the carrier. We will be broadcast seeding. Our go to is disk with a heavy disk and broadcast with a light disk and a harrow drag behind that. It worked pretty well in the fall. I guess if we are going to use a carrier then it might as well be fertilizer. That is assuming pea gravel won't work, lol.
                      Last edited by cehorn; 01-26-2023, 09:29 AM.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind is that it takes time before you start seeing any of these native perennials to start growing. We've used a lot of Turner Seed's native perennials and everything has grown but you won't start seeing a ton of growth until the 2nd and 3rd year. We typically broadcast over recently dozed areas and then either drag over it or cultipack over it and have had great success in the past. We'll be planting another 10 acres of natives next month.
                        Thanks again. I am definitely looking at this long term. Ultimately I'm looking at benefiting my grandkids and my kids are still in high school so that BETTER be a long ways off. As I mentioned I'm looking at doing some every year from now on and I'm hoping it really takes off about the time we get the cows off. The majority of the area we will be doing will be recently dozed but we will also run a heavy disk over it prior to planting.

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                        Also following.

What county are you in, cehorn?
                        We are mostly in Brown County but have about 90 acres in Comanche. The county line runs thru our east portion of the ranch.

Comment

Just be careful if you are going to disk those seeds in vs cultipacking or dragging them in given the tiny seed size. Also, you may get a big flush of weeds following dozer work and discing, and you want to give those perennials the best shot at growing you can.

Comment

I see 3 clovers in that mix. I'd be wary of them. Clover is really a regional plant. Some grow in some areas, others not so much.

Comment

they keep telling me that on ours. I planted 15 acres of Native Grass seed with a brillion seeder last winter and I've seen about 1/3 it come up since then but not all. Of course we had the drought up here too, guess that hurt it. Hopefully this year will see better sprouting, if I can keep the Johnson grass at bay. I've got more seed to over-seed the bare spots but now its raining.

Comment

Working...
                              X