Burnt Ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burnt Ends

I tried something new - I cut up a ham for some burnt ends...

So, I was wanting to try this using my smoker. I am not usually a fan of the spicy but I wanted something that burned just a bit when I ate them. After looking through the HEB seasoning section, I found some 2Gringos Chupacabra seasoning that had red chili and some cayenne pepper in it. I smothered the ham bits in mustard and seasoned the heck outta them with the chupa. I smoked them for about 1 hour at 200 - at this point there was a little bit of heat but not overwhelming. I picked them up and put them in the pan with some HEB "Texas Style" BBQ sauce, some honey and some brown sugar. I bumped up the heat to 250 and let them cook in that for another hour and a halfish. After that I took them out and put them back on the grates and basted them with what sauce was left in the pan for about 1- 1.5 hours at 275.

I will say they were absolutley delicious, however, the heat was gone. I am guessing letting them sit in the sugar/honey/bbq sauce diluted it a bit.

Here lies my question... What would you add if you wanted some heat? Not a lot of heat, just something to burn the lips a bit.

Looks good. I wish I could just get the burnt ends of briskets. It’s my favorite off the entire brisket

Comment

That Chupacabra rub is insanely good. You wont be disappointed in flavor. Pork and beef in my smoker with that rub has everybody wanting more. Any long cook will destroy the heat of a chile including habernero. You want to add heat to the finishing sauce. I added mango habanero jelly to some sweet baby rays and a shot of makers on some pork belly burnt ends and it was amazing.
      Last edited by Ætheling; 06-09-2023, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I saw on the YouTube someone doing salmon burnt ends that looked worthy of my attempting. Guess you want some super fatty red tuna for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
          That Chupacabra rub is insanely good. You wont be disappointed in flavor. Pork and beef in my smoker with that rub has everybody wanting more. Any long cook will destroy the heat of a chile including habernero. You want to add heat to the finishing sauce. I added mango habanero jelly to some sweet baby rays and a shot of makers on some pork belly burnt ends and it was amazing.
          Excellent tip!

Thanks

Comment

Wow that looks amazing!

Comment

To answer your question….a fresh jalapeño. Slice them thin if you’re scared to just take a bite. If that don’t get your lips a burning…Serrano is the answer. Habanero when all else fails.

Comment

Working...
              X