Nursing home help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
    From personal experience, no matter where it is, you have to be very involved to make sure they get even the most basic of care. I truly hope you find what you are looking for. Also, you may want to contact an elder care attorney to help with the process. The "system" is set up to take everything and anything of value and even has a "look back" period to reclaim gifts. It is mind-boggling.....

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
    What we found when my mom was going into a home was they expected you to self pay until you run out of money and then your other benefits would start paying. It's very stressful deciding what to do.
    There is no "system" to take anything from a nursing home patient. The fact is that if people have assets that allow them to pay for their long term care, they are expected to pay until their assets are reduced to a pre determined level needing welfare before they apply for Medicaid, which is the state welfare program, not the federal government. Many folks think that they should not have to pay for their long term care, that the government (taxpayers) should pay for it. Not so. People are expected to be responsible and provide for their own long term care with their income, assets, or LTC insurance.

When they apply for Medicaid assistance, the application asks if they have transferred any assets within the last 5 years (I believe). If so, they will not pay until that amount of assets has been spent down first. I may be a little off on the details, as it has been a minute since I have dealt with the issue.
    JBJTX81 can probably expound on any inaccuracies that I have posted.

Comment

When you pick a place pick several so you will know where the next one is if they get kicked out of the first! Also for the LTC if you have been paying a caregiver for a while they might use that towards the days until coverage kicks in. Ours was 180 days I think but we had been paying an aid for a year so they waived it. Between the homes, the medication, and extra aids we had to hire just so they would keep him it was $10-15k a month. Pray your situation will be easier than ours was. I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
        There is no "system" to take anything from a nursing home patient. The fact is that if people have assets that allow them to pay for their long term care, they are expected to pay until their assets are reduced to a pre determined level needing welfare before they apply for Medicaid, which is the state welfare program, not the federal government. Many folks think that they should not have to pay for their long term care, that the government (taxpayers) should pay for it. Not so. People are expected to be responsible and provide for their own long term care with their income, assets, or LTC insurance.

When they apply for Medicaid assistance, the application asks if they have transferred any assets within the last 5 years (I believe). If so, they will not pay until that amount of assets has been spent down first. I may be a little off on the details, as it has been a minute since I have dealt with the issue.

You are correct.

Even though there is a 5 yr look back period there are some interesting things that can be done to help preserve "gifted" assets and obtain Medicaid eligibility sooner than the point of becoming financially destitute. But nursing homes aren't trying to steal from folks. We have a set of rules set by the state and feds we have to follow related to how a residents stay is subsidized. Believe it or not Medicaid actually reimburses us as well or better than "private pay" and there is an incentive for us to help get our residents on Medicaid.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just went through this with my 93 yo mom.
          I tried to take care of her after a broken hip and dementia.
          I sacrificed a great deal of a year!
          I hired a Medicaid Consultants to get her state qualified.
          Self pay was not an option and I really don't see the difference in care she gets.
          Good luck and prayers for you!

Comment

I had to research this recently to assuage my sisters’ concerns relating to The Government “seizing” my parents’ assets in lieu of providing long term care, and can confirm this is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I really appreciate everyone’s help.

JBJTX81 called me around lunch and started breaking everything down for me. He has 2 facilities in the Dallas area but because of their location to us he wasn’t sure if his places were our best option. He stated that he had a friend that own a facility that may be better.
              He started to say the name and I finished it as I was in the parking lot waiting to finish our conversation before going in. This place was our first choice and to have Justin personally know the owner and recommend it helped a ton.

Justin reached out to the owner and he and the executive director were at the front desk waiting on me. The owner of the facility and my parents actually use the same father/daughter doctor team.

I toured the facility and was incredibly impressed, I didn’t have an appointment so no way to prepare for my visit. This place is 8 miles from my house which is another huge bonus.

Because of some incredible planning from my dad his insurance policy should cover 60-70% of the cost, with his SS-teachers retirement-military retirement the cost should be completely covered.

Thanks again everyone and Justin I owe you a steak dinner and a good bottle of bourbon

Comment

Have you checked into Senior Source? I know the guys on the ticket rave about and do fundraising for them. Praying for you and family Spencer!

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                  I had to research this recently to assuage my sisters’ concerns relating to The Government “seizing” my parents’ assets in lieu of providing long term care, and can confirm this is true.

As my grandson says, "Grandee (his grandmother), Papaw is always right!"

Comment

I bet he is your favorite. Gotta love those grandkids for sure.

Comment

That’s Pawpaw for you—never in doubt—and, sometimes, he’s even right!

(You know I’m just teasing, Pawpaw. You ARE always right!)

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post

This one made me laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post

Actually, he is...and he is my only grandson!

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                          That’s Pawpaw for you—never in doubt—and, sometimes, he’s even right!

(You know I’m just teasing, Pawpaw. You ARE always right!)

Papaw, not Pawpaw!

Comment

Actually, he is...and he is my only grandson!

Papaw, not Pawpaw!

Duly corrected!

Comment

Originally posted by perow View Post
                              I really appreciate everyone’s help.

JBJTX81 called me around lunch and started breaking everything down for me. He has 2 facilities in the Dallas area but because of their location to us he wasn’t sure if his places were our best option. He stated that he had a friend that own a facility that may be better.
                              He started to say the name and I finished it as I was in the parking lot waiting to finish our conversation before going in. This place was our first choice and to have Justin personally know the owner and recommend it helped a ton.

Justin reached out to the owner and he and the executive director were at the front desk waiting on me. The owner of the facility and my parents actually use the same father/daughter doctor team.

I toured the facility and was incredibly impressed, I didn’t have an appointment so no way to prepare for my visit. This place is 8 miles from my house which is another huge bonus.

Because of some incredible planning from my dad his insurance policy should cover 60-70% of the cost, with his SS-teachers retirement-military retirement the cost should be completely covered.

Thanks again everyone and Justin I owe you a steak dinner and a good bottle of bourbon
                              With the bunch of goobers posting all the time it's easy to forget how many really fine folks are on this forum. You are one of the good guys and I'm thrilled another Tbh good guy helped you along.. prayers for your dad and entire family.

Comment

Thank you for confirming how the "System" works.

Comment

Working...
                                X