No announcement yet.

LRGVNWR Teniente live Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the bull and not to give up on looking for it.

Comment

Originally posted by acepipeman View Post
      Finally got a Nilgai on the last drawn hunt for Teniente. A few more were taken from my group. Seemed like they were mostly moving in the mornings and afternoons. This guy came out in the evening in an area I almost decided not to hunt. I shot this stud at 100 yards quartering to me in the front shoulder with a 200 grain from a .300 win mag. Not a single drop of blood was found. I zigzagged with some help from a friend of mine that was hunting with us. We looked for over an hour. I had to replace my flashlight batteries. My friend asked me from about 20 yards from me, " well, what do you want to do"?
      I looked around with my flashlight once more, saw a trail and was about to go forward a little bit before calling it a loss. I looked down the barely noticeable trial a few yards....and there he was! He ran 155 yards from where I shot him. Great shot, through the shoulder, and through the vitals. What a tough animal. It's not to be taken lightly when you read on here and other forums about how many times they are lost. 8.5" horns for anyone wondering. Tips from my observations: the Nilgai seem like they are EVERYWHERE on this place. Sign is everywhere, but they are not that easy to find when hunting them. I would not come here without sun protection, snake boots or gaiters. I got complacent and stepped on a 6ft snake that almost bit me and **** near sent me straight to heaven from scaring the life out of me. I thought for sure it was a rattlesnake...but it was a bull snake. Still.... snake boots are a great item to have here. Also, I must have picked off 10+ ticks over the last couple of days. And it's hot down there. Definitely a great trip with some of my best friends and I'm certainly thankful to TPWD/USFWS for the public hunting opportunities and to God for making this Earth we live on.
      Great bull and awesome perseverance on the track job

Comment

Working...
      X