Deer in a cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer in a cooler

Whats the longest you've left a deer iced down in a cooler? How long will it be good for?

I've gone two weeks. I normally go about a week.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
      Whats the longest you've left a deer iced down in a cooler? How long will it be good for?
      We leave ours iced with the drain plug open for 5 to 7 days. We just add ice as needed. Helps age the meat and get all the blood out.

Comment

Three days for me

Comment

one week for me, makes a difference for sure

Comment

I try to ice my deer down for a minimum of 5 days, up to 10 days. In my opinion, keep it cold, and drain the water and you're fine!

Comment

8 days is the most have gone .....needs to be water free so keep tilted with drain free of blockage and the plug loosened to allow it to drip.

Comment

5-7 days for mine.

Comment

week to 10 days here.

Comment

Usually a week, most I've gone was 12 days. Leave it in my Yeti with a metal greatest the bottom with a 2x4 on one end to tilt it towards the train plug. Have the garden hose drain plug on my cooler and run a 8ft piece of old garden hose out the garage and into the grass on the side of the house. Add ice if necessary. My deer never sits in water.

Comment

I cycle ice over it for at least 7 days and up to 14 if it has been cold and the ice was not melting.

Makes a huge difference.

Comment

Couple weeks give or take for me. I normally keep the plugs screwed in and drain and add new ice once a day. The meat always turns out great.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                          10 days, keep replenishing ice and draining water out. I place the meat inside trash bags to keep them dry (relatively)

Comment

I’ve done 14 days when I was too busy with work. I refuse to bring meat to the processor. 7 days is what I target- on ice, angled with the drain plug open. Never let it sit in water.

Comment

Originally posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
                              We leave ours iced with the drain plug open for 5 to 7 days. We just add ice as needed. Helps age the meat and get all the blood out.
                              This ^^^

Comment

Working...
                              X