Cost of a Tracking Dog ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    $400 plus $100 tip is what my hunters pay. But we use the best in the business.
    There are many good ones out there, but only one name comes to mind when this is said, Roy Hindes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
      I would lose a deer long before I’d pay 500 for a dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must shoot crappy deer and have crappy ethics.

Comment

In my exact those that come for free and accept a tip are trying to het experience on a young dog.

Experienced successful dogs are around $100 to show and $100 at recovery.

Renowned south texas dogs are around $500 to show due to reputation and cost of deer being tracked.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Same here and probably the same guy. It sucks when you hear the amount and you are loaded with doubts, but when the dog barks and you get the call that he was found dead, I was like "take my money!".....great feeling and well worth it.
          Worth it when the dog finds the buck alive and bays it. You know at that point you had no chance on your own.

Comment

If y'all stopped shooting those Creedmoors you wouldn't have to track um so often. Jk, I shoot one.

But I've seen 250 to 300 on average.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Worth it when the dog finds the buck alive and bays it. You know at that point you had no chance on your own.

I'm sure it's both.......Although I've never experienced the bayed alive.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                There are many good ones out there, but only one name comes to mind when this is said, Roy Hindes.
                Depending on where I was hunting in south Texas, my first call would be to Roy, Robbie Hurt or Kevin DuBose.

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
                  If y'all stopped shooting those Creedmoors you wouldn't have to track um so often. Jk, I shoot one.

But I've seen 250 to 300 on average.
                  I've heard this and don't get it. Myself and my petite daughter drop almost everything, its about placement. Longest one I tracked was a 270 which is very close to the 6.5

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                    Same here and probably the same guy. It sucks when you hear the amount and you are loaded with doubts, but when the dog barks and you get the call that he was found dead, I was like "take my money!".....great feeling and well worth it.
                    So, not to be nit-picky but if the deer is dead...the dog doesn't bark.

Comment

My buddy charges 300 and I think 100 more if he finds it. But hes got the best dog in north texas that is 4 and who in the hell even knows what the dogs worth... 20K? I think I gave him 500 last year and hell we hunt together. The risk these guys are putting in and time away from family and BS storys from hunters and time wasted etc etc. Worth every single penny. A lot of guys have dogs but not many good ones that will bay and find that sucker after another crappy dog ran all over the woods. Id rather pay a premium for the best chance then try to scrap out on 200 bucks for a shot in the dark.
                      Last edited by ClearcreekDC; 10-21-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

$500 is a lot of money for most guys. Granted we do spend a lot on a lease and all the additional stuff. More if you actually own property.
                        But there are risks and rewards for having a good dog.
                        Look what happened to Troupe Bishop not long ago.
                        Honestly most deer I get a shot at aren't worth $500 more. But two or three hundred for a 140 or 150 wouldn't hurt my feelings.
                        But to have a dog come out and not even show interest and later find the deer on your own within a few hundred yards would **** ya off paying big money.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Cost of a Tracking Dog ???

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          So, not to be nit-picky but if the deer is dead...the dog doesn't bark.

Well Matt’s Jock did. Just a bark or two.

So you can nitpick that for what it’s worth. That’s my only experience with one thankfully.
                          Last edited by Smart; 10-21-2021, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Anywhere from 250-500 down in South Texas. I charge 350.00. Been chasing wounded deer for 20 years and it does not get old. Something about a dog working a track and baying up a big old bucks at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X