Carrying firearm I vehicle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering if I can carry my Glock in the console of my truck. I don't have a concealed carry license.
    I'm thinking about doing the concealed classes.
    I don't have any underlying issues to prevent me from me from passing background checks to purchase firearms.
    If I were to get pulled over for traffic issues I feel compelled to tell the officer that I have a firearm in the vehicle.
    BTW I'm 72 and have handgun experience going back to the 1960's. I just don't need any hassles these days.

yes
    as long as you are "traveling" you can carry it in the truck legally so that means all the time to me... And I would always let them know bc I have the CC on my driver license when they run it

This is how I understand the rule and thats y i did not renew my carry lic.
    Last edited by kingranch; 03-25-2021, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I have been told the vehicle is an extension of your domicile and you are allowed to have a gun in there with you. Another rule of thumb I have been told is that IF you have an LTC you better disclose that you have a firearm to the officer. If you don’t have an LTC and your firearm is concealed, you aren’t violating any laws unless the firearm is on your person AND you step out of the vehicle.

What have the rest of y’all heard?

Comment

Yes you can. It is the same as keeping a firearm in your house. It must remain in your truck, throughout your travels and you may carry it concealed from your place of residence to your vehicle, and then from your vehicle back to your place of residence. That is my understanding anyways.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

From what I understand, Texas law extends the right to self-defense up to and including deadly force in a victim's dwelling (now including any attached porch, deck or patio), occupied vehicle, or any other dwelling or vehicle that the victim legally occupies. A place of work is included in the "castle" provision under certain circumstances.

Comment

Perfectly legal and if asked would answer honestly, but if not wouldn't worry about bringing it up, would just make sure it is hidden and you keep what you need away from the pistol in a separate area so you aren't opening your console for insurance and he spots a gun and freaks thinking you are going for it. Kept one in my console or door for 10 yrs at this point and been pulled over 10-12 times in that time frame and never had an issue but I keep gun in console and insurance in visor or glove box. Only half ish if that have asked if I had a weapon in the truck and none of them went further than that question. Told them yes I do it is located in X spot, they said thanks please leave it there and we were all good.

Comment

In Texas you may carry it concealed inside the vehicle but not on your person or in plain view. If you have an LTC then you may carry it on your person or in plain view. Either way if you intend to carry you should also have Texas Law Shield insurance. $135-140 per year.

Comment

I'll probably go for the LTC.
                I'm in no shape to physically protect myself!
                Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                  I'll probably go for the LTC.
                  I'm in no shape to physically protect myself!
                  Thanks guys.

Just so you know
                  Constitutional Carry is in committee today. Hopefully we get it this go round and join the multitude of other states that don't require permission to exercise your God given rights.

Comment

Yes you can sir. Get your concealed ASAP!

Comment

OP this is not directed at you but rather a few people that responded.

Know the laws before you respond and give potentially old or bad info.

Currently you can carry a CONCEALED handgun in your vehicle without an LTC as long as not of the following conditions apply:

Section 46.02(a-1): This section provides additional information regarding carrying a handgun in a motor vehicle. As stated in §46.02(a-1), a person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person’s control at any time in which:
                      The handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster or…
                      The person is:
                      Engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating, or…
                      Prohibited by law from possessing a firearm or…
                      A member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Penal Code §71.01.
                      In other words, Texas Penal Code §46.02 allows anyone with or without a valid LTC to legally carry a handgun on or about your person if:
                      You are on your own premises or premises that are under your control or…
                      You are inside or directly en route to your motor vehicle or watercraft and the handgun is not in plain view, and you are not engaged in a criminal activity, are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, and are not a member of a criminal street gang.
                      There is no “traveling” mention in the law.

Without an LTC you are under no obligation to disclose that you have a concealed handgun in the vehicle. That being said the decision is up to you to decide if you want to or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Mike D; 03-25-2021, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                        Yes you can sir. Get your concealed ASAP!
                        Signed up for the class starting Saturday!

Comment

The old “traveling” law was instituted in the horse and buggy days and was scrapped with the first license to carry laws that passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            OP this is not directed at you but rather a few people that responded.

Know the laws before you respond and give potentially old or bad info.

Currently you can carry a CONCEALED handgun in your vehicle without an LTC as long as not of the following conditions apply:

There is no “traveling” mention in the law.

Without an LTC you are under no obligation to disclose that you have a concealed handgun in the vehicle. That being said the decision is up to you to decide if you want to or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                            The old “traveling” law was instituted in the horse and buggy days and was scrapped with the first license to carry laws that passed.
                            Traveling is still in the law as non-applicable for UCW.

There was a hodgepodge of court rulings throughout the state and no clear answer to what was traveling. They left it up to courts and appeals districts. Some court cases said things like it had to out of your county and/or overnight, more than 24 hours, were you actually going between destinations or merely hanging out and so on. The law itself did not specify a definition of traveling and courts had different rulings according to where you were. The Court of Criminal Appeals (supreme court for criminal cases) who could have set precedent apparently ever did

To remedy this the legislature added a “presumed” to be traveling in you were in a moveable vehicle under your control.

When the LTC (not CHL) became law, the legislature took the presumption of traveling out since they then added the handgun had to be concealed unless in a shoulder or belt holster with an LTC.

They did not remove traveling though and it is still an exemption (non-applicability) to UCW. They only removed the presumption of traveling.

Here is the current law. Notice 2 Traveling and 3 any sporting activity if a firearm is normally used in that activity.

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY

(b) Section 46.02 (UCW) does not apply to a person who:
                            (1) is in the actual discharge of official duties as a member of the armed forces or state military forces as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code, or as a guard employed by a penal institution;
                            (2) is traveling;
                            (3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

So.....

UCW does not apply to traveling or certain sporting activities. The best bet would be under an LTC or concealed under UCW however traveling has not been removed from the law as a means to carry a handgun.

Comment

Vehicle is an extension of your house!

perfectly legal. And on school campuses in designated parking lots

Comment

Working...
                              X