Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 03-25-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Retired Bowhunter
Default Carrying firearm I vehicle?

Wondering if I can carry my Glock in the console of my truck. I don't have a concealed carry license.
I'm thinking about doing the concealed classes.
I don't have any underlying issues to prevent me from me from passing background checks to purchase firearms.
If I were to get pulled over for traffic issues I feel compelled to tell the officer that I have a firearm in the vehicle.
BTW I'm 72 and have handgun experience going back to the 1960's. I just don't need any hassles these days.
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #2
kingranch
Ten Point

yes
as long as you are "traveling" you can carry it in the truck legally so that means all the time to me... And I would always let them know bc I have the CC on my driver license when they run it

This is how I understand the rule and thats y i did not renew my carry lic.

Last edited by kingranch; 03-25-2021 at 09:28 AM.
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 09:26 AM   #3
cj_sandman
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

I have been told the vehicle is an extension of your domicile and you are allowed to have a gun in there with you. Another rule of thumb I have been told is that IF you have an LTC you better disclose that you have a firearm to the officer. If you don’t have an LTC and your firearm is concealed, you aren’t violating any laws unless the firearm is on your person AND you step out of the vehicle.

What have the rest of y’all heard?
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 09:28 AM   #4
MONSTERKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apparently where the deer ARE NOT

Yes you can. It is the same as keeping a firearm in your house. It must remain in your truck, throughout your travels and you may carry it concealed from your place of residence to your vehicle, and then from your vehicle back to your place of residence. That is my understanding anyways.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk
MONSTERKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
txhunter-1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas

From what I understand, Texas law extends the right to self-defense up to and including deadly force in a victim's dwelling (now including any attached porch, deck or patio), occupied vehicle, or any other dwelling or vehicle that the victim legally occupies. A place of work is included in the "castle" provision under certain circumstances.
txhunter-1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Perfectly legal and if asked would answer honestly, but if not wouldn't worry about bringing it up, would just make sure it is hidden and you keep what you need away from the pistol in a separate area so you aren't opening your console for insurance and he spots a gun and freaks thinking you are going for it. Kept one in my console or door for 10 yrs at this point and been pulled over 10-12 times in that time frame and never had an issue but I keep gun in console and insurance in visor or glove box. Only half ish if that have asked if I had a weapon in the truck and none of them went further than that question. Told them yes I do it is located in X spot, they said thanks please leave it there and we were all good.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

In Texas you may carry it concealed inside the vehicle but not on your person or in plain view. If you have an LTC then you may carry it on your person or in plain view. Either way if you intend to carry you should also have Texas Law Shield insurance. $135-140 per year.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #8
Bluesman
Pope & Young

I'll probably go for the LTC.
I'm in no shape to physically protect myself!
Thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #9
Clay C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
I'll probably go for the LTC.
I'm in no shape to physically protect myself!
Thanks guys.

Just so you know
Constitutional Carry is in committee today. Hopefully we get it this go round and join the multitude of other states that don't require permission to exercise your God given rights.
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Yes you can sir. Get your concealed ASAP!
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #11
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX
Default Carrying firearm I vehicle?

OP this is not directed at you but rather a few people that responded.

Know the laws before you respond and give potentially old or bad info.

Currently you can carry a CONCEALED handgun in your vehicle without an LTC as long as not of the following conditions apply:

Quote:
Section 46.02(a-1): This section provides additional information regarding carrying a handgun in a motor vehicle. As stated in §46.02(a-1), a person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person’s control at any time in which:
The handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster or…
The person is:
Engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating, or…
Prohibited by law from possessing a firearm or…
A member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Penal Code §71.01.
In other words, Texas Penal Code §46.02 allows anyone with or without a valid LTC to legally carry a handgun on or about your person if:
You are on your own premises or premises that are under your control or…
You are inside or directly en route to your motor vehicle or watercraft and the handgun is not in plain view, and you are not engaged in a criminal activity, are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm, and are not a member of a criminal street gang.
There is no “traveling” mention in the law.

Without an LTC you are under no obligation to disclose that you have a concealed handgun in the vehicle. That being said the decision is up to you to decide if you want to or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Mike D; 03-25-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 12:35 PM   #12
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
Yes you can sir. Get your concealed ASAP!
Signed up for the class starting Saturday!
Old 03-25-2021, 12:48 PM   #13
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

The old “traveling” law was instituted in the horse and buggy days and was scrapped with the first license to carry laws that passed.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #14
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
OP this is not directed at you but rather a few people that responded.

Know the laws before you respond and give potentially old or bad info.

Currently you can carry a CONCEALED handgun in your vehicle without an LTC as long as not of the following conditions apply:

There is no “traveling” mention in the law.

Without an LTC you are under no obligation to disclose that you have a concealed handgun in the vehicle. That being said the decision is up to you to decide if you want to or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
The old “traveling” law was instituted in the horse and buggy days and was scrapped with the first license to carry laws that passed.
Traveling is still in the law as non-applicable for UCW.

There was a hodgepodge of court rulings throughout the state and no clear answer to what was traveling. They left it up to courts and appeals districts. Some court cases said things like it had to out of your county and/or overnight, more than 24 hours, were you actually going between destinations or merely hanging out and so on. The law itself did not specify a definition of traveling and courts had different rulings according to where you were. The Court of Criminal Appeals (supreme court for criminal cases) who could have set precedent apparently ever did

To remedy this the legislature added a “presumed” to be traveling in you were in a moveable vehicle under your control.

When the LTC (not CHL) became law, the legislature took the presumption of traveling out since they then added the handgun had to be concealed unless in a shoulder or belt holster with an LTC.

They did not remove traveling though and it is still an exemption (non-applicability) to UCW. They only removed the presumption of traveling.

Here is the current law. Notice 2 Traveling and 3 any sporting activity if a firearm is normally used in that activity.

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY

(b) Section 46.02 (UCW) does not apply to a person who:
(1) is in the actual discharge of official duties as a member of the armed forces or state military forces as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code, or as a guard employed by a penal institution;
(2) is traveling;
(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

So.....

UCW does not apply to traveling or certain sporting activities. The best bet would be under an LTC or concealed under UCW however traveling has not been removed from the law as a means to carry a handgun.
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #15
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Vehicle is an extension of your house!

perfectly legal. And on school campuses in designated parking lots
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 03:07 PM   #16
tvc184
Pope & Young

Oh yeah, a vehicle is not an extension of your home. It is an enacted law allowing the carry of handguns under certain circumstances.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:19 PM   #17
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:

(1) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun; and

(2) is not:

(A) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(B) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 04:25 PM   #18
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
In Texas you may carry it concealed inside the vehicle but not on your person or in plain view. If you have an LTC then you may carry it on your person or in plain view. Either way if you intend to carry you should also have Texas Law Shield insurance. $135-140 per year.

Only way a handgun can be carried in plain view is by a LTC holder that has it holstered on his person.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2021, 08:12 PM   #19
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
Only way a handgun can be carried in plain view is by a LTC holder that has it holstered on his person.
Thanks for clarification and correction.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:06 AM   #20
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvc184 View Post
Oh yeah, a vehicle is not an extension of your home. It is an enacted law allowing the carry of handguns under certain circumstances.
The 3-4 cops I know in my town must be wrong then, including the police chief

I got pulled over going 25 MPH with a loaded AR with suppressor in my front seat in arms reach. I told the cop when he came to my window. He didn't care and I got a warning for speeding

I know plenty of people who carry rifles in their truck at school, unloaded, and out of view as it is a designated parking lot
Old 03-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #21
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post

I got pulled over going 25 MPH with a loaded AR with suppressor in my front seat in arms reach. I told the cop when he came to my window. He didn't care and I got a warning for speeding

I know plenty of people who carry rifles in their truck at school, unloaded, and out of view as it is a designated parking lot
boy! you do that in dfw or a big city and they will throw the book at you. big difference about good ol boy country cop ... that is an excuse for liberals to take all our guns away ... now don't get me wrong , you might end up being the good guy that stops the bad guy , but i guarantee you that's not the way they would look at it ...

ps . you're lucky if you get a warning for speeding too ... been pulled over a few times over the years , always showed my chl, and put my hands out the window and was courteous ... never got off easy, even for 7 over. $$$$$!
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 08:26 AM   #22
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
boy! you do that in dfw or a big city and they will throw the book at you. big difference about good ol boy country cop ... that is an excuse for liberals to take all our guns away ... now don't get me wrong , you might end up being the good guy that stops the bad guy , but i guarantee you that's not the way they would look at it ...

ps . you're lucky if you get a warning for speeding too ... been pulled over a few times over the years , always showed my chl, and put my hands out the window and was courteous ... never got off easy, even for 7 over. $$$$$!
Perks of living in a small town. I have a CDL, so that usually helps as I am very polite and rarely get pulled over.

A small town cop knows a ticket hurts a CDL driver bad.

I was rushing on my way to kill pigs with the gun loaded in the front seat in plain view
Old 03-26-2021, 08:36 AM   #23
Clay C
Pope & Young

Quote:

He's not saying it's illegal, he's saying it's legal under a different premise. A lot of people think it's legal to carry in your vehicle because the law states it's an extension of your home, which isn't true. Also, the law is different for handguns and long guns.

All of these laws are stupid.

Last edited by Clay C; 03-26-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:39 AM   #24
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

I’m glad they clarified the law I got arrested 20 years ago one week before I got married.I was on my way for a hog hunt kinda last time as a free man evening.Got pulled over by a small town cop for supposed bad tail light.I had 3 guns in truck he ran numbers for theft and the came back clean he then decided to arrest me of unlawfully carrying a weapon.I had a clean record up to this point.Thankfully I had a few friends in LE they made a few calls and things were dismissed. I still have that 357 SW I’ve been pulled over many times since Ive told officers I have a pistol under my back seat and not a one have batted an eye.The officer that arrested me from what I was told lost his peace officer abilities in Texas since then.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2021, 08:45 AM   #25
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post
He's not saying it's illegal, he's saying it's legal under a different premise. A lot of people think it's legal to carry in your vehicle because the law states it's an extension of your home, which isn't true. Also, the law is different for handguns and long guns.

Ahhh ok. Well what is the law on having a gun in your truck with the idea your vehicle is an extension of your home?
Old 03-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #26
Clay C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBear78 View Post
I’m glad they clarified the law I got arrested 20 years ago one week before I got married.I was on my way for a hog hunt kinda last time as a free man evening.Got pulled over by a small town cop for supposed bad tail light.I had 3 guns in truck he ran numbers for theft and the came back clean he then decided to arrest me of unlawfully carrying a weapon.I had a clean record up to this point.Thankfully I had a few friends in LE they made a few calls and things were dismissed. I still have that 357 SW I’ve been pulled over many times since Ive told officers I have a pistol under my back seat and not a one have batted an eye.The officer that arrested me from what I was told lost his peace officer abilities in Texas since then.
Wow. What a scumbag. The 2nd Amendment has been dying here for decades.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #27
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay C View Post

Correct. There is nothing in the Penal Code that makes your vehicle an extension of anything. If your vehicle is an extension of your home, why do you have to conceal a handgun unless you have an LTC? You do not have to do that in your home

The police cannot enter your home even for a felony without a warrant yet the police can search your car even for a misdemeanor without a warrant. If your vehicle is an extension of your home, why is it warrant not required for a vehicle?

UCW laws also apply to a watercraft and a handgun is legal to carry if it is concealed just as you could conceal one in your vehicle if concealed. Are they thinking that a boat is an extension of your home?
Old 03-26-2021, 04:14 PM   #28
wsteffen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jewitt, TX or any where else I can find to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzlebrake View Post
Agreed with all of this, especially Texas Law Shield, but if you get you LTC you avoid any hassles.
wsteffen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-28-2021, 09:22 PM   #29
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Traveling is still in the law as non-applicable for UCW.

There was a hodgepodge of court rulings throughout the state and no clear answer to what was traveling. They left it up to courts and appeals districts. Some court cases said things like it had to out of your county and/or overnight, more than 24 hours, were you actually going between destinations or merely hanging out and so on. The law itself did not specify a definition of traveling and courts had different rulings according to where you were. The Court of Criminal Appeals (supreme court for criminal cases) who could have set precedent apparently ever did

To remedy this the legislature added a “presumed” to be traveling in you were in a moveable vehicle under your control.

When the LTC (not CHL) became law, the legislature took the presumption of traveling out since they then added the handgun had to be concealed unless in a shoulder or belt holster with an LTC.

They did not remove traveling though and it is still an exemption (non-applicability) to UCW. They only removed the presumption of traveling.

Here is the current law. Notice 2 Traveling and 3 any sporting activity if a firearm is normally used in that activity.

Sec. 46.15. NONAPPLICABILITY

(b) Section 46.02 (UCW) does not apply to a person who:

(1) is in the actual discharge of official duties as a member of the armed forces or state military forces as defined by Section 437.001, Government Code, or as a guard employed by a penal institution;

(2) is traveling;

(3) is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, motor vehicle, or watercraft, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;

So.....

UCW does not apply to traveling or certain sporting activities. The best bet would be under an LTC or concealed under UCW however traveling has not been removed from the law as a means to carry a handgun.

Thanks for the clarification TVC. I stand corrected.

I’ll go sit in the corner now, lol.

Old 03-28-2021, 09:53 PM   #30
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

The scenario being discussed is about handguns. Your examples is a long gun. Completely different set of laws for each regarding how they can be transported in a vehicle.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:51 AM   #31
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
The scenario being discussed is about handguns. Your examples is a long gun. Completely different set of laws for each regarding how they can be transported in a vehicle.

Absolutely....

Apples to Boeing 747s.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:23 AM   #32
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:

Makes sense..

So what is the difference/law regarding a handgun and also a long gun in your own personal truck in your name?
Old 03-29-2021, 10:27 AM   #33
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Makes sense..

So what is the difference/law regarding a handgun and also a long gun in your own personal truck in your name?
In a vehicle or watercraft that you own or a vehicle or watercraft that you are in control of (like if you borrowed one), you can possess a handgun without an LTC if the handgun is:
Concealed
You are not committing a crime other than a class C traffic citation
You can legally possess a firearm (not a felon or convicted of misdemeanor family violence)
You are not a member of a criminal street gang

So let’s say you have a concealed handgun but you are a DWI. You can be charged with UCW also.

Another example would be that you have a concealed handgun but you were committing class C disorderly conduct (disturbing the peace). Even though it is only the equivalent of a traffic citation, you can still be charged with UCW. So if you’re in the middle of the Walmart parking lot and screaming a bunch of profanities at someone and causing a disturbance, you can be arrested for a fine only disorderly conduct. If they found a handgun in your car then you can be arrested for UCW also.

For a long gun, they are generally legal whether loaded or unloaded and whether seen or concealed. For example if you are a DWI and have a shotgun with you, there is no additional charge. UCW just not apply to long guns. Therein lies the difference. UCW only applies to handuns.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:31 AM   #34
ClayW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Karnes County

Quote:
In a vehicle or watercraft that you own or a vehicle or watercraft that you are in control of (like if you borrowed one), you can possess a handgun without an LTC if the handgun is:
Concealed
You can legally possess a firearm (not a felon or convicted of misdemeanor family violence)

So let’s say you have a concealed handgun but you are a DWI. You can be charged with UCW also.

Another example would be that you have a concealed handgun but you were committing class C disorderly conduct (disturbing the peace). Even though it is only the equivalent of a traffic citation, you can still be charged with UCW. So if you’re in the middle of the Walmart parking lot and screaming a bunch of profanities at someone and causing a disturbance, you can be arrested for a fine only disorderly conduct. If they found a handgun in your car then you can be arrested for UCW also.

For a long gun, they are generally legal whether loaded or unloaded and whether seen or concealed. For example if you are a DWI and have a shotgun with you, there is no additional charge. UCW just not apply to long guns. Therein lies the difference. UCW only applies to handuns.
Thanks for confirming my thoughts

Some of these posts had me second guessing the way I transport a rifle
ClayW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 10:44 AM   #35
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayW View Post
Thanks for confirming my thoughts

Some of these posts had me second guessing the way I transport a rifle
The only lol I know of for a long guns other than discharging them in public, would be under the disorderly conduct laws. It is disorderly conduct to carry it in a manner calculated to alarm.

The law does not define calculated and I’m not sure why they did not use a culpable middle state such as intentionally or knowingly.

I think it means if you’re waving it around, it is likely a crime. If you have it in a vehicle or just walking down the street with a sling over your shoulder, you’re probably OK. What the district attorney will accept comes down to the facts and the county you are in. The law is the same in each county but what the district attorney will go after might absolutely depend on where.
Old 03-29-2021, 12:19 PM   #36
SRK14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cass, miller

I’ve always carried some sort of firearm in my vehicle. Wether or not it was visible, I have always made a point to let the officer know as quickly as I can without interrupting him/her. Never had a problem regardless of handgun or long gun. Circumstances may be different in the big towns, but no trouble around my area that I live.
SRK14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 12:37 PM   #37
Keg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone county

Motorists Protection Act Edit

Gov. Perry also signed H.B. 1815 after passage by the 2007 Legislature, a bill that allows any person to carry a handgun in the person's motor vehicle without a CHL or other permit.[32] The bill revised Chapter 46, Section 2 of the Penal Code to state that it is in fact not "Unlawful Carry of a Weapon", as defined by the statute, for a person to carry a handgun while in a motor vehicle they own or control, or to carry while heading directly from the person's home to that car. However, lawful carry while in a vehicle requires these four critical qualifiers: (1) the weapon must not be in plain sight (in Texas law, "plain sight" and "concealed" are mutually exclusive opposing terms);[33] (2) the carrier cannot be involved in criminal activities, other than Class C traffic misdemeanors; (3) the carrier cannot be prohibited by state or federal law from possessing a firearm; and (4) the carrier cannot be a member of a criminal gang.[34][35]

Previous legislation (H.B. 823) enacted in the 2005 session of the Legislature had modified TPC 46.15 ("Non-Applicability") to include the "traveller assumption"; a law enforcement officer who encounters a firearm in a vehicle was required to presume that the driver of that vehicle was "travelling" under a pre-existing provision of 46.15, and thus the Unlawful Carry statute did not apply, absent evidence that the person was engaged in criminal activity, a member of a gang, or prohibited from possessing a firearm. However, attorneys and law enforcement officials in several municipalities including DA Chuck Rosenthal of Houston stated that they would continue to prosecute individuals found transporting firearms in their vehicles despite this presumption,[36] leading to the more forceful statement of non-applicability in the 2007 H.B. 1815.
Keg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-29-2021, 12:41 PM   #38
Keg
Ten Point

Hunt In: Freestone county

Carry your Glock in your console... It’s no problem whatsoever... Since Perry signed 1815 into law.. many of the previous laws are of no consequence...
Keg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 11:03 AM   #39
SETX_Insanity
Four Point

Hunt In: Newton, Orange, Sabine Co

Quote:

Long guns and handguns are not in the same category. It's apples to oranges when talking laws
SETX_Insanity is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 11:16 AM   #40
megger89
Six Point

Hunt In: All of Over

Quote:
Signed up for the class starting Saturday!
How did you class go?
megger89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #41
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

I would think rights are different in a vehicle on a public road as opposed to your home because driving is a privilege and can be given and taken by the state and not a Right given like the Constitution gives to all.
So while you are allowed to have a concealed gun in your home/castle/domicile the give back I summarize was that it had to be concealed because the vehicle travels a public road and could be seen by the public and fears generated.
The LTC/CCW covers that.

I'm just thinking out loud here.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 11:36 AM   #42
Roger_Roger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wood Co.

Quote:
BTW I'm 72 and have handgun experience going back to the 1960's. I just don't need any hassles these days.
If you are a Vet you can get it for $25 app fee, don't forget to send DD214 of you go that way. The rest ($$) depends on how you handle it.
It's an easy process and reasonably fast. On line info easy to access. If you don't have them after 30 days go on line and check status. My prints did not go through first time and I did not receive in the mail notice. Had them rolled again, no charge, and had CHL in 2 weeks.
Roger_Roger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #43
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post

From what I read above on the clarification, what law did I break?

Looks to be perfectly legal in plain view, loaded or unloaded
Old 03-30-2021, 09:45 PM   #44
Bluesman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by megger89 View Post
How did you class go?
It went well, thank you!
Will get finger printed in the morning.
I actually shot way better than normal.
5 to 6 week wait for the license. Bought in to the Law Shield plan.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:35 AM   #45
tvc184
Pope & Young

Quote:
From what I read above on the clarification, what law did I break?

Looks to be perfectly legal in plain view, loaded or unloaded
As long as it is a rifle or a shotgun, no law is violated as long as you are not flashing it around.

Just because I see it brought up and not directed at you, the only law I can think of that mentions loaded or unloaded firearms is making a loaded firearm accessible to a child. Recklessly allowing a child access to a loaded firearm is a crime even if no one is injured or threatened. This does not apply went under the direct supervision of an adult.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #46
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

A thread like this is good and sometimes necessary for us to re-familiarize with Texas gun law and the do's and don'ts. Gun laws are very confusing to lots of folks and many times are contradictory or at least seem so. Even LEO's don't always know what is right or wrong. If you happen to live or be subject to a rogue DA or Judge then the water gets even muddier. Do the best you can to understand the law as it's written and hope for the best.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:23 PM   #47
Bluesman
Pope & Young

The only other States I go to visit relatives or hunt are Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas.
I see all of these States are "Permitless Carry" and Texas resident with a CHL may have some restrictions. From what I can see or think I see is only an age restriction. Some States appear to be 18 or 21.
Wonder what comes into play in these States?
Old 03-31-2021, 07:33 PM   #48
Injun
Ten Point

When you get your class done and the Ts crossed take a minute and check the other states before you go.
Injun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 09:24 PM   #49
BowTech2010
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Concealed

I have a question pertaining to a concealed handgun in a boat. Say your fishing sabine lake and are on the Louisiana side. All laws for Texas go out the window and now you are illegal?
BowTech2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-31-2021, 09:53 PM   #50
txhunt7
Eight Point

Here's one I'm wondering and off subject a bit.

Can I pack a pistol for protection while bow hunting on public land?
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top