Vanguard .257 Roy....FRUSTRATED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought myself a new .257 Weatherby and put a 3-18 Meopta on it. New lease will have some longer range shots, so I thought this would be the perfect gun. Been to the range 3x now and cannot get it group to save my life (using Weatherby 100gr Interlock & a few rounds of 100gr Barnes).

First time I wasn't as concerned, breaking in the gun, etc. Mid way into the 2nd trip I suspected something wasn't right. Shot would be 6 clicks left, make the adjustment and it would hit 1/2" above the last shot. Stopped shooting and came home to double check rings and lugs. Lugs were a full turn loose before they snugged up, rings were good.

Figured I had the problem solved and went back this afternoon. Cold bore 1st shot was 1" high dead on. The gun then started bouncing all around. I'd shoot 3 shots and let it cool. Thought it was on with 2 shots near each other only to have the next shot fly way off. Let the gun cool again, next 2 shots were dead middle but 2" right with the 3rd being 5" high, dead on.

I get the gun may not like 100gr bullets, but it should still group somewhat and not sling rounds all over. At this point I guess I'll throw another scope on it to see if it's the scope. If you have any other suggestions, bring 'em.
    Attached Files

Check action screw as well?

Comment

scope. broken recticles.

Comment

I'd try a different ammo before you go changing everything else up. Maybe check to see all the screws are tight on the rings and base.

I've seen rifles shoot shotgun patterns then shoot nice groups with a different grain or name brand.

Comment

I would assume it has a floating barrel. Check for it touching or put a pad under the front end and try her again.

Comment

Float the barrel and check for copper fouling, then try different ammo. My Ruger 243 would only shoot WW 100 grain Power Points, all other ammo looked like your groups.

Comment

Gun was fired and tested before it was boxed for 1/4" or better at 100yds.

Change scope before anything else. Mine shoots like a laser with factory ammo and did out of the box.

All I did was clean the barrel. Did you do that? Sometimes it's heavily coated.

Comment

Change Ammo, check all the stuff listed above...
                Then, if you’re still not grouping, and you’re not gonna like this answer, have someone else that is a known good shooter, shoot it. I taught marksmanship for years, I heard every excuse ever, 98/100, it was the shooter.
                Hell, I’ve done it, swore my gun was off, blamed something, told my compadre to shoot it, amd it shot fine.
                Anyways, just a thought, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sure sounds like a scope issue. I know my Remington 700 was pretty picky too. But it still grouped, somewhat. Probably 2” with Weatherby factory ammo. I finally started reloading and found the 115 grain Berger’s and the 110 gr Nosler Accubonds to be really accurate with groups being in the 1/2” range. My bet is a scope issue.

Comment

Try different grains

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                      Gun was fired and tested before it was boxed for 1/4" or better at 100yds.

Change scope before anything else. Mine shoots like a laser with factory ammo and did out of the box.

All I did was clean the barrel. Did you do that? Sometimes it's heavily coated.
                      I've never heard of a Vanguard factory tested at 1/4". I have seen 3/4"..

Never the less it should shoot much better than it is out of the box. Go to 120gr..
                      I have a MarkV .257 that loves 100gr but not 120gr. And both are Weatherby ammo... It can be frustrating.
                      It could be a bad scope.. Who knows.

Comment

Bought my daughter a Vanguard 223 several years back. Had same issue you’ve described. Took a while to figure it out but it was an ammo issue. That gun is very particular about which ammo it likes. Tried different brands and different grains as well. Finally figured it out and it’s probably the most accurate gun in the safe now.

Be patient and methodical and you will figure it out…

Good luck!

Comment

Based on your first statement I’d say it sounds scope related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

My '12 257 Wby likes factory 115gr so much I've never tried any others.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Based on your first statement I’d say it sounds scope related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Yes sir - I probably spent more money & time in ammo chasing the same issue than the malfunctioning scope cost. My buddy said from day one that it was probably the scope; can’t season crow enough to make it eatable.

Comment

Working...
                              X