6.5 Grendel Build Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just completed this build in hopes my 7 year old son will take his first deer with it this fall.

It’s a Larue Ultimate Upper Kit in 6.5 Grendel, PSA Lower, Vortex 12x Sonora scope with Cantilever Mount. Installed a red trigger guard so I could tell it apart from the others.

Now I need to sight it in so my boy can start practicing before deer season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My step son took down an axis doe with mine last year. Great caliber for kids!!

Comment

Nice. Got plenty of hunting ammo? Hasn't been much on the market in a while.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work,

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
          Nice. Got plenty of hunting ammo? Hasn't been much on the market in a while.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
          It might be more available, if all the holders didn’t buy it and resell it on gun broker.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoytbowhunter View Post
            It might be more available, if all the holders didn’t buy it and resell it on gun broker.
            6.5 Grendel is crazy right now. Between the four or five gun stores that I frequent and stuff I find online, Grendel is about the only caliber that I have trouble finding anymore for a fairly decent price including a lot of the calibers that a lot of people on here seem to have trouble finding. I see it every once in a while, but they usually want way more for it than I'm willing to spend for slinging them at pigs.

Luckily I had about 8 cases of 123 SSTs that I paid around $18 a box for when all of this started, but I'm starting to get pretty low now.

Comment

Bass pro in Pearland as of now has about 20 boxes of Hornady at $35 a box.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                Bass pro in Pearland as of now has about 20 boxes of Hornady at $35 a box.

Yeah, that’s about the price I generally see it at. Saw some today for $35.99. Just haven’t gotten to the point where I’m willing to spend that quite yet. I’m a lot less willing to spend $1.75+ a round on AR ammo than I am on bolt guns. Hoping my supply will last me a little while longer [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Could dang sure use more, but not at the point to spend that much. Got the Grendel for the wife. She doesn’t shoot nearly as much as I do, so what ammo I do have should last a little while.

Comment

I have 4 boxes of “black” AMMO. Ordered two boxes of 123 sst. I paid more than I should have for the AMMO but what are you going to do at this point.

My plan is to sight in with the black ammo and also use it for hog hunts. Then save the 123 sst for my sons deer hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by RJK70 View Post
                      I have 4 boxes of “black” AMMO. Ordered two boxes of 123 sst. I paid more than I should have for the AMMO but what are you going to do at this point.

My plan is to sight in with the black ammo and also use it for hog hunts. Then save the 123 sst for my sons deer hunting.

Don't burn through all of the black before trying the sst. Many people (including myself) have trouble getting the sst's to group well but the blacks group just fine.

Comment

I use mine for everything now. Axis, WT, red stag, hogs, and varmits.
                        Mine groups SST and ELD the same. Saturn barrel 24". The A max groups open up some.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                            Mine groups SST and ELD the same.
                            Same experience for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice. I put together a LaRue upper with a Colt lower. Finally got a chance to sight it in yesterday. Even with a red dot sight at 100 yds she was shooting moa with 123 Black ELD’s.
                              With crosshairs she should really drive tacks.

Comment

Working...
                              X