If you were going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were going

to build an AR to hunt pigs and Texas Whitetail, what caliber would you build? As I get older, I’m thinking I don’t really need a lot of guns in a lot of different calibers anymore. Got this way with archery in the last couple of weeks, had thought about sell to recurves and getting another compound, but the simple things with the recurve are appealing.

Oops, but looking for something to stick my suppressor on, and really looking at getting a thermal optic as well. For some reason, ARs last couple of years have really appealed to me.

A little more. In my 50+ years of hunting, I’ve shot countless animals and I would say that 95% have been 125 yards or less, and most probably 75 yards or closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was going to build another, I’d be looking at either a 6.5 Grendel or a 6.8 SPC most likely. Just for something different if for no other reason.

I have 5.56, 300 Blk and 308 already in actual AR/SBR platforms, along with a CMMG 10 mm pistol and they’re all killers. It’s really more about shot placement than anything.

I don’t have either of the first two calibers I mentioned though, hell I might end up building one of each at some point. Both should work well at the ranges you mentioned and can be stretched a good bit further if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
      As I get older, I’m thinking I don’t really need a lot of guns in a lot of different calibers anymore.
      I hope I never get that old.

Comment

Love my grendel.

Comment

I’d probably go with a 6 arc with a ~20” barrel.

Comment

Grendel

Comment

My hog guns are 6.8 SPCs and I’ve killed hogs as big as 270 lb. with them. A night gun and a day gun. The day gun has killed a lot of coyotes too. It’s a great round IMO.

Comment

Grendel or 300 HAM'R

Comment

Highly recommended the 6.5 grendel, it has really surprised me how much I reach for it over other calibers.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Grendel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Another vote for Grendel.

Comment

350 legend you can find ammo for it anywhere

Comment

Grendel

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

I earhole every pig I tend to eat regardless of which AR I have in hand...so, the cal has become EARrelevant.

Comment

Supressor

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                              350 legend you can find ammo for it anywhere
                              Would have to buy a larger supressor then....

Comment

Working...
                              X