Stain/Sealer for new deck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stain/Sealer for new deck?

What are your best and worst experiences with products and applications for staining and water sealing a new deck?
    Attached Files

Use readiseal a lot believe its made in texas and seems to hold up well. With the texas sun any stain will need reapplied every so often.

Comment

I like the ready seal also. It’s oil based and soaks in and you only need to wash the deck before reapplying in the future. If you get a water based acrylic stain you have to use a stripper chemical to remove the old before reapplying. Many of the acrylics may last a few years longer but I wanted no part in having to strip the deck. That was from my limited research when staining my deck.

Comment

I don't know if this applies to more than the scenario that I had, but when I wanted to stain a light wood and make it darker, I HIGHLY recommend using a conditioner first, then a stain, then a sealer... I did this on a wood accent wall and it turned out really well. If you don't use a conditioner, it will be spotty and uneven...

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...highlight=wall pic of the finished wall posted near the bottom.

Comment

following

Comment

Fixing to stain another deck I built with Flood in cedar color. We have used it quite a bit, and like it.

Comment

Flood is good
              Behr and Super Deck are decent
              Step 1 wait 6 months
              2 spray with Dawn dish soap water solution one tablespoon per gallon
              3 pressure wash and allowed to dry
              4 spray stain quickly and evenly ,watch your overlap, or stain one board at a time by brush

Comment

In this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I've had good luck with Olympic stains/sealers on decks. Don't use Thompson's...pure garbage.

Comment

Ready seal
                    Dummy proof it has held up great on my house...
                    Best part is no drip or overlap lines

Comment

I looked up this “ready seal” spuds awesome. Is it expensive? What about treated lumber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Following

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                          Flood is good
                          Behr and Super Deck are decent
                          Step 1 wait 6 months
                          2 spray with Dawn dish soap water solution one tablespoon per gallon
                          3 pressure wash and allowed to dry
                          4 spray stain quickly and evenly ,watch your overlap, or stain one board at a time by brush
                          Like the wait 6 months part. Might be below 95 at that time!

Good info, keep it coming.

Comment

tagged

Comment

Definitely let it dry out before sealing it. If you stain it before it’s had a chance to dry out, you’re trapping the existing moisture in and it will rot prematurely from the inside out. Can take up to six months. You can pick up an inexpensive moisture meter at Northern Tool. It’ll tell you when its ready.

Comment

Working...
                              X