No announcement yet.

Elk trip took a turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, this trespasser is trying to bargain with you?

Comment

Ok
      CO’s laws allow ranchers to graze others properties so long as there is no fence, which is the case here. Days before the man approached my family he called the sheriff because a man had his sheep grazing the land, which is legal except they they had an RV parked there, making it illegal. So he did is a favor on his own will.
      I know nothing about mules and he said something about “laying them up” along with grazing. He stated that a couple properties recently sold where he was grazing/laying up hence reason looking for additional land. His outfit is very reputable and he has 40 years experience guiding and excited about passing the business on to his son.
      No agreement has been made yet, I’m just doing my due diligence to protect the property for the future.
      Also it sounded like his guide license was for a particular unit and our land is on the dividing line.

Comment

This whole deal sounds shady AF. Good luck but it sounds like you're going to get worked on this one if not careful. Never know though, whatever you choose to do I would do it on a 1 yr deal to feel each other out and put it in writing.
        Last edited by Mossback; 07-15-2021, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
          Ok
          CO’s laws allow ranchers to graze others properties so long as there is no fence, which is the case here. Days before the man approached my family he called the sheriff because a man had his sheep grazing the land, which is legal except they they had an RV parked there, making it illegal. So he did is a favor on his own will.
          I know nothing about mules and he said something about “laying them up” along with grazing. He stated that a couple properties recently sold where he was grazing/laying up hence reason looking for additional land. His outfit is very reputable and he has 40 years experience guiding and excited about passing the business on to his son.
          No agreement has been made yet, I’m just doing my due diligence to protect the property for the future.
          Also it sounded like his guide license was for a particular unit and our land is on the dividing line.
          Sounds like you and he are being reasonable and can probably work out something that works for both of you. I have owned property in Colorado and things are different than in Texas.

Comment

I also have an elk/muley guide who lives next door to my ranch here in Tx helping through this so I feel like I can work through this whatever the decision ends up.

Comment

I think you lucked out and should get some great advice/help for virtually free. Sounds good to me.

Comment

I think this guide is probably going to have a big hassle getting to where he needs to be without being able to use your FIL's PRIVATE property. You need to dig into this more and find out more details. There may be a mutual beneficial relationship that can come from this, but if he's using the property all season I'd ask for a % of his guide profits, and mention getting the game warden involved. You need to download onX and contact surrounding landowners and see if they know this dude, and find out how he's accessing the public land in other places.

Comment

He wouldn't have been so eager to offer to pack you guys in if the property didn't have real value to him. Just think about that for a second.

Comment

How many acres does you FIL own?

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                      He wouldn't have been so eager to offer to pack you guys in if the property didn't have real value to him. Just think about that for a second.
                      Bingo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lone_Wolf View Post
                        I think this guide is probably going to have a big hassle getting to where he needs to be without being able to use your FIL's PRIVATE property. You need to dig into this more and find out more details. There may be a mutual beneficial relationship that can come from this, but if he's using the property all season I'd ask for a % of his guide profits, and mention getting the game warden involved. You need to download onX and contact surrounding landowners and see if they know this dude, and find out how he's accessing the public land in other places.
                        The man gave me contacts of three neighbors who all have known him for decades. Calls into these folks will happen this afternoon. I have OnX and he has already sent me they area which he primarily operates.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                          The man gave me contacts of three neighbors who all have known him for decades. Calls into these folks will happen this afternoon. I have OnX and he has already sent me they area which he primarily operates.
                          It's sounding better. I hope it works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            It's sounding better. I hope it works out for you.
                            X2

Comment

Free grazers! Get a rope!

Comment

Jeez fellas there are still good people in the world today! Be cautious but have a little faith.

Hope it turns out to be a good relationship!

49 seconds · Clipped by Martin Moses · Original video "Open Range bar scene" by Akillheals
                                Last edited by mmoses; 07-15-2021, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X