Deer feeder batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer feeder batteries

I’m tired of dead 12v batteries. Is there a better option, lithium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you tired of the batteries dying too quickly? or wearing out and not holding a charge?

If it's the former, may try wiring two in parallel? That's what I'm doing in my stand and fill feeder (plenty of room). If space is an issue, maybe try one of these?

Dakota Lithium 12-volt 10Ah battery designed LiFePO4 technology. battery is for fishing, outdoor use warranty 11 years. lightweight & lasts 4 times longer.

You would need a lifePo4 charger though as well

Comment

Do you have a solar charger going to the battery? With good sun I've had batteries hold a charge for over a year.

Comment

most of my batteries last 2 years when used with the right size solar charger.

Comment

I guess i'm just lucky. I have solar panels on my feeders and get 4-5 years out of batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
            I guess i'm just lucky. I have solar panels on my feeders and get 4-5 years out of batteries.
            Same here, multiple years.

Comment

The best thing to do for a feeder in general is leave it going, even if you don't feed year round. The daily cycling will keep the motor from freezing up and allows the battery to discharge and charge.

You can always upgrade the solar panel and incorporate a charge controller that will keep it from over charging.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
                The best thing to do for a feeder in general is leave it going, even if you don't feed year round. The daily cycling will keep the motor from freezing up and allows the battery to discharge and charge.

You can always upgrade the solar panel and incorporate a charge controller that will keep it from over charging.
                I have found that if you turn off your feeder but keep the battery connected to the solar panel it will cause the connections on the battery to corrode. At least in my experience.

At our place, in August/September I turn off the feeders that I don't archery hunt. Even in that amount of time, 2-3 months, is enough to cause a corrosion problem and ruin the battery.

Comment

We have solar panels on every feeder. In the last 3 years I’ve replaced (1) 12 volt battery out of the 5 feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                    I have found that if you turn off your feeder but keep the battery connected to the solar panel it will cause the connections on the battery to corrode. At least in my experience.

At our place, in August/September I turn off the feeders that I don't archery hunt. Even in that amount of time, 2-3 months, is enough to cause a corrosion problem and ruin the battery.
                    Di-electric grease is our friend....

Comment

Originally posted by BiggieSmalls View Post
                      Di-electric grease is our friend....
                      I have started using it since. But good point.

Comment

Working...
                      X