Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 Summer Food Plot

What is everyone planting?

I have not done a summer plot in a long time. I did do a dove plot 3 summers ago. I disked the soil, free of weeds, and the seed came up great. It then all died with no rain in the summer.

Frost seeded some crimson clover to see what we could get to grow.

Also put in some switchgrass - not a food plot - for long term habitat improvement.

Probably going to put out some Egyptian Wheat mid-May once it warms up for screening along the fence to block view of outfitter who leased neighbor's property who decided to put blind 12 inches off the fence - literally.

Comment

Going to try my hand at the throw and mow method for the spring. Going out this weekend to e-fence 2 acres (mostly to keep the cows out and deer off it while it is growing) and spray. Then in 2-3 weeks (weather dependent) going to put in a mix of (in order of provalence) Buckwheat, alyce clover, deer vetch, along with smaller amounts of lablab and sunn hemp.

Then this fall will put in cereal rye and clover. Goal of the plot is not to be a hunting plot (outside of the rut possibly), but to hold deer between our two most productive stands

Comment

Originally posted by txbowman12 View Post
        Going to try my hand at the throw and mow method for the spring. Going out this weekend to e-fence 2 acres (mostly to keep the cows out and deer off it while it is growing) and spray. Then in 2-3 weeks (weather dependent) going to put in a mix of (in order of provalence) Buckwheat, alyce clover, deer vetch, along with smaller amounts of lablab and sunn hemp.

Then this fall will put in cereal rye and clover. Goal of the plot is not to be a hunting plot (outside of the rut possibly), but to hold deer between our two most productive stands
        Curious how this works! Keep us posted.

I plan on doing a mixture of IC Peas, Lablab and one more thing. Just not sure yet.

I have a thick standing winter plot now. I will likely grain drill and then shred my winter plot over it for thatch

Comment

I think Im gonna look into getting some seed from "Green Cover" and see what they have to offer. They have some stuff specifically for bees/pollinators, warm and cold season. Plot mixes, screening, legumes, you name it.

If yall have any experience with them, post them.

Comment

Brown top millet and sunflowers in Jack County are my go too. Tried a few other things over the last couple years but the hogs mow them down before it gets going. Planting first two weeks of May before a rain.

Comment

Still struggling with what method I want to do.

I have a nice, tall winter plot now and cant decide if I want to spray, grain drill then shred or grain drill then shred the plot real low and keep what I have growing until natural die off?

Is easter weekend too early to plant?

Comment

Natural die off will put you way to far behind. Whatever is in plots now (minus clover if you have it) is way too mature for any use. Now till planting you are just growing thatch.

Plant mid-late April-2nd week of May. Don’t over think it. Put down seed and cover it with something. Reduce all competition

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Natural die off will put you way to far behind. Whatever is in plots now (minus clover if you have it) is way too mature for any use. Now till planting you are just growing thatch.

Plant mid-late April-2nd week of May. Don’t over think it. Put down seed and cover it with something. Reduce all competition
                  Yeah I tend to overthink it, in an attempt to make it perfect haha.

If i shred it down, won't it encourage fresh/tender growth for the next 3-4 weeks? I still have action in my plots based on game cameras

Comment

If you shredded now yes, it’s still growing season on what your shredding. In a month the new seeds should out grow the cereal grains. I prefer to spray personally

Comment

If you shredded now yes, it’s still growing season on what your shredding. In a month the new seeds should out grow the cereal grains. I prefer to spray personally
                      Yeah spraying isnt bad. But my thoughts were to shred, let the current winter plot keep growing, and then the summer plot will grow and be hidden some by the winter plot.

Comment

Big negative with that is-water. Water will be your weak link in central Tx. Every minute the 2 are competing is future available water for new plants. I want em dead and decomposing at planting

Comment

Big negative with that is-water. Water will be your weak link in central Tx. Every minute the 2 are competing is future available water for new plants. I want em dead and decomposing at planting
                          Very valid point. Never thought of that.

Corn has been planted around me in the last 2-3 weeks, so I am thinking of planting Easter weekend if I can get it all done in time

Comment

For 2 acres is this too much seed, if I drill:

50 lbs I/C peas
                            20 lb Lablab
                            10 lb Sorghum
                            30 lbs buckwheat

I am struggling with how much to plant if I plant these 4 seeds.

Comment

Picked up 100lbs of sun hemp today and have ordered 300lb of eagle beans. I have a lot of work to get done in next few weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X