Unforgettable Opening Week 2020 Deer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unforgettable Opening Week 2020 Deer Season

Fair warning this one is going to be long. I used to write a story after every hunt I went on. It’s been a very long time since I wrote one but this one is too good not to put into writing so I can relive it forever.

Wow, what an opening week of hunting season, this has been one for the ages and will be hard to top. My nephews Dillan and Camden have been hunting with me since they were kids and it’s a tradition for them to travel from Alabama to Texas usually a few times a year to hunt with me. It’s the only way I can get them to come visit me. LOL

I got into a great lease near San Angelo last year and I’ve taken both of them up there as guest to hunt with me. I let Dillan take my management buck last year, a nice old 8pt. Camden came and hunted with me last spring during turkey season and was lucky to get a big Tom gobbler.

Fast forward to this summer and scouting for this year’s deer season. I bought some Browning cellular cameras and put them out around my property and at my lease. I gave my nephews the password and app to download so we could all look at trail cams together as summer was coming to an end and the antlers were starting to finish out. There were some great deer at the lease and a few at my property near Leander. We were texting and calling each other every day anxiously awaiting season to open and talking about all the different deer. They both talked about which deer they liked and hoped one of them would give them a shot.

They both know it’s much better hunting at my lease than it is around my house. There is a better chance at a bigger deer, the deer density is better, and the deer pattern better. I only get one management buck up there and I offered it to one of them this summer. I talked to them and told them that one of them could hunt at the lease but they had to make the hard decision of who was going to get to hunt at the lease and who was going to hunt at the house. They worked it out and decided that Dillan would hunt the lease and Camden would hunt my property.

The trail camera pictures were pouring in and the deer were in their late summer feeding pattern. They were at the feeders religiously morning and evening as they usually are in August and September. There were four good mature 8’s at the lease that were possible for Dillan to shoot. Camden had picked out a big 11 pt at the house that he was set on getting but there were some respectable 10pt’s and 8pt’s in the mix. It was looking like things were rolling into place for the opener. We put a plan together and all took a weeks’ vacation for opening week of archery season.

As usual, just like every year, the acorns started falling around the first of September. It sounded like hail with acorns hitting the roof of my house, acorns piling up everywhere. The deer were backing off the feeders and becoming unpredictable. It’s no surprise as this happens out here every single year. For some reason or another I always think I have it figured out and have these deer patterned to a T, but it all falls apart just before season starts.

Dillan and Camden packed up and drove 670 miles to my house Friday before the opener. I got off work and we hung out on the front porch of my house watching my front pasture. I have a big pasture out front with a feeder about two hundred yards away. We watched the feeder through binoculars and had three nice bucks come in a little before dark. One of the deer was the 11pt that Camden had his heart on. I have two stands on my property and obviously Camden decided we would be hunting the front pasture for the opener. The weird thing is that the big 11 had been using the feeder behind my house, this was thee first time he’d ever been seen in the front. He threw us a curve ball the day before the opener.

Opening morning came and it was gorgeous. I can’t remember a Texas archery opener ever being this chilly. It was actually cold, and the winds were perfect for that stand. We were settled in the blind by 6:00 AM, about an hour before shooting light. Soon the sun started to break, and we were seeing deer creeping around. I saw a nice buck in the distance and put my binoculars up and recognized it to be a 10pt that we had seen the previous evening. When I saw the deer I immediate told Camden “Don’t pass this buck”. The buck didn’t waste any time and a few minutes later he was 20 yards away perfectly broadside. I was filming and ready to get the shot on video. I turned to Camden and asked him if he was going to shoot the deer and he just shook his head no. “I’m waiting for that 11 pt.”. At this point I thought he’d lost his mind. He had driven 670 miles, bought a $325 out of state license, and had a 120”+ 10 broadside with the camera running and was passing on it! I was thinking to myself he didn’t realize how well the cards had fallen into place for this opener. Anyway, he watched the 10pt with a few does for about 45 minutes until they filtered out. The big 11 never showed.

The evening hunt was pretty much the same but with fewer deer, still no sign of the 11 pt.

After talking with Camden and the deer being so unpredictable with the acorns and full moon, I think he was starting to regret passing the big 10 when he had a chance.

We were back in the stand Sunday morning and the 10 came back in. This time Camden decided that he better capitalize on his luck and decided he would take the deer. It milled around for a bit and finally turned broadside. I had the video camera running and he drew back and sent the lumiknock lit arrow at the buck. To my surprise I watched the arrow sail right under the deer’s chest! The buck jumped up and ran up a hill about 40 yards and just looked back at us. I actually thought he may drift back down to us for another shot, but he casually walked over the hill and out of sight. Total defeat! When Camden missed the deer, he was extremely upset with himself. I was surprised at him missing because he’s a natural talent. In our group of bowhunters with him and some others I hunt with he’s probably the best archer in the group. That being said there is a huge difference in shooting targets and shooting a live animal and the adrenalin that goes with it. Ole buck fever got him!

We decided that we would go ahead and make the trip to the deer lease and see if we could get Dillan on a deer. The 10pt that Camden missed wasn’t spooked and I thought he would be back, and I was hoping the 11pt would make an appearance again.

We packed up the camper and drove 200 miles West and got to the deer lease Sunday Evening.

My buddy Jason was there smoking some ribs and watching some football. We all looked over trail camera pictures and enjoyed some good food and deer lease comradery.

The other lease members had headed home after the Sunday morning hunt. Everyone was reporting slow hunting and not much moving.

Dillan and I decided we would hunt a stand in a bottom that I put a Krivoman blind in this year. There were three different mature 8pts in that area that would be shooters if they showed up.

We were in the stand early and got settled. Dillan did several practice draws with his bow and made sure he had good shooting lanes. When the sun started lighting the day up, I could see a big 10pt that I call “Flames”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bowhunterhelm; 10-11-2020, 05:09 PM. Reason: L

He’s off limits this year; I believe he’s a three-year-old deer and will be a super buck in two more years. We had a few more deer filter in and it was looking like it was going to be an eventful morning. The deer were all looking further into the bottom and had locked their attention down there. I was thinking possibly a big mature buck may be coming in and had them on edge a little. While scanning with binoculars I saw it was the cows coming in! LOL About 5 minutes after shooting light we had a herd of about 20 cows all around us.

The deer didn’t stand for it and moved off and that was the end of the hunt. The ranch I’m hunting is a working cattle ranch and as we all know cattle ranches are cattle ranches first and deer leases second.
    We sat for a while with nothing showing up. In the boredom of not seeing anything I decided to play a cruel joke on Dillan. I looked out one of the windows of the blind that was difficult for him to see out of and told him “Get your bow up, it’s High and Tight!” Hight and Tight is one of the big shooter bucks in the area.

He didn’t believe me, and I insisted that it was and that it was about to go down! He got his bow up getting ready to shoot and I busted out laughing. He didn’t think it was funny at all and claimed he knew I was lying. Maybe so but he sure has that bow up ready to shoot. We packed up and headed back to camp.

Comment

The trail camera at the other stand at the lease showed that a big 8pt was at the feeder that morning at first light, a deer I call the perfect 8.

I tried to talk Dillan into hunting that stand in hopes that the perfect 8 would return but he was dead set on hunting the bottom again. He knew that there were three shooters in that area and only one at the other stand. Dillan said he liked his odds in the bottom better and felt good about the hunt so long as the cows didn’t come in.

We passed the time waiting for the morning hunt with a little fishing. Camden caught a few nice ones.

We showered up and headed into the bottom about 4:30. Things were slow until about 6 when we had about 30 gobblers show up. While it is turkey season, we were focused on the deer, and Dillan passed them. A little later we had two 8pts come in and talked about aging deer. They were both very young deer and not what we were looking for.

After a while I looked out the window of the blind, the same window that I had claimed to see “High and Tight” out of on the morning hunt. I saw a big body deer and told Dillan there was a big body deer out here, but I couldn’t tell what it was. Its antlers were behind an oak tree, but I could tell it was a solid big body mature looking deer. I moved out of the way so Dillan could quickly look out with binoculars and see the deer. I was sitting in front of the window blocking Dillan’s view so he couldn’t’ see the deer any longer. It stayed there not moving for several minutes until it put it’s head down to eat some acorns and I immediately recognized that it really was “Hight and Tight”. I told Dillan excitedly it’s “High and Tight”. He replied, “Shut up, you’re stupid”. He quickly knew I was serious when I repeated myself and he could hear my breathing change. He later told me that’s how he knew I wasn’t kidding with him. We watched him eat acorns under the oak trees about 60 yards behind us for 20 minutes. It was gut wrenching, there were no other deer around us, and he was just milling around doing circles under the oaks filling his belly with acorns. After a long 20-minute wait and watching him through binoculars he started moving our way. I told Dillan he was coming in and to get ready. When he finally made a move towards us, he came in like he was on a string. He walked out 20 yards away and was slightly quartering away. Dillan didn’t waste any time. He drew his bow and sent the arrow on its way. Thwack! Absolutely perfect shot! The deer ran about 50 yards and fell down dead. He was dead in seconds. It was one of the fastest archery kills I’ve ever witnessed.

We celebrated in the blind fist pumping, hugging, and hollering. It was a priceless bonding moment.

I have a tracking dog, Trigger, that I put on all of my shots regardless of weather or not I see the deer fall. I tried to talk Dillan into letting me go get Trigger and run the easy track, but it was no use. Dillan said he absolutely couldn’t stand it and that he had to go put his hands on his deer.

We slowly made our way out of the blind and made our way to his buck. No ground shrinkage on this one. Dark chocolate antlers, great mass, and super high tines. This was Dillan’s biggest deer ever and by far his biggest bow kill. He was ecstatic and seemed almost in disbelief as to what had just happened.

Comment

We walked to the top of the hill where we started getting cell service. We texted out the good news and headed to camp to get Trigger and the rest of the crew.

Jason texted us that he had shot a doe and his bow hit the side of his ladder stand when he released thee arrow. He said he may have some work for Trigger to do.

We all went down to the blind and put Trigger on the trail, if you can even call it that. We took pics and loaded him up and headed to Jason’s stand to help recover his doe.

When we got to the stand Jason said he didn’t really know where he hit the deer, but it looked far back.

The deer took the arrow with it and no one was seeing blood. Trigger started picking up scent and the track was on. We followed Trigger for several hundred yards and then several hundred more yards. I heard Dillan doubting Trigger “He can’t be on blood, there aint no way he’s still tracking that deer, He’s lost!”. LOL! Not long after that I heard Trigger start barking on a dead run. I yelled out to everybody that Trigger was on her and she was still alive.

We all ran to try and keep up with Trigger until we couldn’t hear him barking or his tracking bell anymore. We just walked towards where we last heard him. After about a half mile track, we could hear his tracking bell occasionally, but he wasn’t moving. I told everyone that the deer may have died on the run and he was probably on it. I called out for him and we saw him about 100 yards away. He walked towards us and then turned and walked away heading back the direction he had come from. He wouldn’t come to us and I knew he had the deer. We walked to him and sure enough he was on Jason’s doe.

Camden said it was like a movie, it was like Trigger was telling us to come on, I have something over her to show you. Actually, that’s exactly what he was doing.

We pulled Jason’s deer to a fence line and walked back to my truck so we could drive down and load her up.

Everyone was excited and our adrenalin was up, we were talking and telling stories and we were interrupted by that West Texas Buzz! Everyone all stopped and once and shut up. Rattle snake! Jason and I had walked right over the top of it and it was between us and Dillan and Camden. We were all scrambling for rocks to throw and it and excited and yelling again. Trigger picked up on our adrenalin and excitement and came over to investigate. I panicked when trigger saw the snake, it was coiled up and he put his nose on its nose till I kicked him out of the way. It was an absolute miracle that the snake didn’t strike him. I was scared to death and a million thoughts went through my head as to what I was going to do with him if he got bit.

Trigger has been to snake avoidance class and I have seen positive results even just a week prior but it’s time for a refresher course.

We made it back to camp and got the deer skinned and quartered, we all had a nice fat ribeye steak and hit the sack pretty early.

Dillan’s hunt was a success and was in the books. It was time to get Camden focused on his hunt again. We packed up the camper early the next morning and headed back to Leander in time so Camden could make the evening hunt. We pulled camera card immediate when we pulled in the driveway. The cards showed the big 11 that Camden was hunting was using the feeder in the front pasture in the mornings and the feeder in the back in the evenings. Camden was dead set on getting the 11 point, so he sat in the back pasture hoping to catch him that evening.

We have been having a bad pig problem at the house this year and of course the pigs came in before the deer did, in broad daylight. If the pigs are there the deer won’t be so Camden decided to go ahead and shoot a pig. He shot a big boar at 28 yards. The shot looked a little far back, so we decided to wait till after the morning hunt to track it. We didn’t really want to disturb the area and spook the deer. Camden wasn’t shooting the pig to eat; he was helping with the eradication. Any and all pigs seen out here are shot on sight. Some are eaten and some are dragged off into the brush.

Camden decided to follow the 11pt’s pattern and hunting the front pasture in hopes that he would show himself. That morning Camden had a 10pt and an 8pt come out. At this point we were getting late into their hunting time and he was probably going to shoot the first good buck that gave him a shot. The deer just mingled in the pasture never coming to the feeder and never came close enough for a shot.

After the morning hunt we put Trigger on the blood trail of the pig Camden shot the previous evening. Trigger quickly picked the trail up and found the pig a few hundred yards away. The shot was actually better than we thought, and Camden killed the pig pretty quick. The coyotes had already found the pig and eaten a good bit of it. We flipped the pig over and made a quick picture and left him for the coyotes to finish off.

The next several hunts were much of the same. Camden hunted the front pasture and was seeing good bucks on every hunt. There was no sign of the big 11 but there were several respectable deer coming into the pasture and milling around. The bucks were showing interest in the does and would come into the pasture at first and last light and chase the does, push them around and out of the field. The bucks would follow the does or just disappear without ever going to the feeder. At this point it was getting frustrating. Several good deer had been just out of range or just a few steps from a shooting lane just to turn the wrong direction and disappear.

We collectively decided that this wasn’t working. The bucks weren’t coming to the pasture to eat, but we were seeing them everyday morning and evening without getting a shot. No deer were coming to the feeder at all at this point and the corn was piling up. We decided we would go get a tripod and set it up in a cedar tree where the bucks have been entering the field. We did this Thursday after being taunted by the bucks on that mornings hunt. There were shooter bucks staying just out of bow range. Camden and I got the tripod setup, shooting lanes cut, ranged all the trails, and put a plan in place. We did everything we could to make it perfect. All we needed was for the bucks to follow the same pattern they had for the last several days. There was still no sign of the 11 pt but at this point, the first good deer that came down that trail was going to get an arrow.

Comment

Comment

Camden headed to the stand by himself at about 4:30 PM. Dillan and I had both been hunting with him and filming the hunts trying to get the shot on camera but there was only room for one person in this new set up.

Dillan and I watched the front pasture from the front porch of my house.

Camden was perched 10ft up in a cedar tree on the edge of the field with several heavy trails all around him.

At about 6:00 PM Dillan and I could hear bucks sparking and we could hear their horns banging together behind Camden. We were hoping that he would get a shot on a buck in the pasture and we were planning on filming it from our point of view.

About 6:15 we heard Camden’s bow release and heard something crashing through the cedar trees. I was confused at first and really unsure if I heard his bow go off or just heard the crashing. I thought for a second that it may be deer fighting up there by Camden’s stand. Dillan assured me that he heard Camden shoot. We were both watching through binoculars and saw Camden running down from the Tripod pumping his fists into the air. We ran out into my front yard and met Camden in the driveway. He said he drilled him; it was the 11 point! We literally tackled one another to the ground and were rolling around in the yard like 5-year-old kids celebrating the best Christmas present they ever got. Camden said it was perfect and the big 11 was the first deer on the trail and stopped in front of him at 22 yards. Our changeup had worked!!

We gathered our composure and came up with a plan to track. Camden was positive that he shot the deer good and assured me he was down. I still made them wait 30 minutes before we started tracking. Camden and Dillan were so excited they wanted to start tracking immediately. Camden enjoys blood trailing and wanted to try and track his deer without the help of Trigger. We sat out to the sight of the shot and quickly found the broken shaft of Camden’s arrow. The arrow didn’t passthrough, but he got plenty of penetration. Camden set out on the track and his 11pt was piled up about 60 yards away! We started celebrating again as this was it, Camden was finally able to put his hands on the deer he had set out to get. He put the work in, hunted his tail off, and made it happen. It was an unbelievable week of hunting.

We gathered around and said a prayer, I actually got a little emotional, and gave thanks to God for all of his blessings that he had poured on us throughout this week. We know how truly blessed we are to have experienced all of this together.

Hurricane Delta was churning in the Gulf and they would have to head out in the morning. Camden took it down to the wire and came through in a clutch. I called my taxidermist and asked him to meet me in the morning and cape Camden’s skull and give him the antlers so they would both have their antlers to take back to Alabama with them.

We met at the taxidermist and handled business, got them both their antlers, and said our goodbyes

Until next time boys, it has been on heck of a start to the 2020 deer season.

They just beat driving through Hurricane Delta and got on the East side of it before it made landfall.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sounds like y’all had a great time

Comment

Great write up and awesome deer. Congrats to both of them and good luck to you as well this season

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome week for you 3!

Comment

I'm not sure if this story and adventure will be topped this hunting season. I really appreciate you taking the time to type this out with great pictures along the way because I throughly enjoyed it. That was a great read from my deer stand. Congrats to your nephews on two awesome trophies and for having one hell of an uncle! Good stuff right there my friend...don't get much better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang that is a Great Hunt and write-up
                            Best part is it was with family.
                            Thanks for sharing!!!
                            Last edited by awry; 10-11-2020, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Awesome wrote up.

Good job Trigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X