Home Made Flats Skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Made Flats Skiff

Hey Y'all, Last July I had this great idea to build me a flats skiff. We just returned from a trip to the coast where I used a kayak for fishing. Had a great time but with a shoulder injury there were times that I just couldn't paddle hard enough to keep up with the current! I decided to start researching the idea of putting a pedal drive on my kayak but dang those are expensive so I then toyed with the idea of using an electric motor. Then it occurred to me that I was going to spend a lot of money and still have a wet arse sitting in a kayak.
    I thought about buying a boat or remodeling an old boat. I settled on remodeling! I found a small sail boat with just the right size and shape deck for what I had in mind.
    Now I needed to learn how to fiberglass! I turned to Youtube! I watched many videos on stitch and glue boat builds, I found websites that sell plans for any kind of boat you could want and even found a video about re-purposing a small sail boat!
    Then on August 6 2019 I had surgery on my shoulder to repair a torn rotor cuff.
    A week Later I found a second hand 8 HP 4 stroke Evinrude in East Texas. I needed this motor for when my skiff is completed. With my right arm in a sling my wife accompanied me to pick up the motor. We arrived at the right address for the outboard and when the guy answered the door, he was also wearing a sling on his right arm and told me that he had just had surgery to repair a torn rotor cuff! Had to be fate. Y'all should have seen our wives picking up this 100 lb motor and 2 one armed guys trying to help load it in the back of the pickup!
    Back to the boat. Here is a picture of the small sail boat that I was going to turn into my flats skiff.
    Attached Files

Alright I'm going to let Y'all in on a secret. Today I finished this boat and put it in the water for sea trials. I still need to get a title and register the boat.
    Anyway, this thread is going to go fairly quickly!

Comment

Here I have removed the sail boat hull. I'm going to build a new hull and modify the existing deck to suit my needs.
      As you can see I have built a temporary shelter for this project. My wonderful wife has been helping but honestly I am doing most of the work with just my left hand.
      Attached Files

Comment

Here I am scarfing together 1/4" marine plywood for the sides of the hull and the next picture they are installed with the transom which is 4 pieces of 1/4" laminated together for a combined thickness of 1 1/4".
        Attached Files

Comment

Here I am scarfing the bottom panels together and installing. You can see some temporary braces in the hull.
          I didn't realize until later that I used way too many zip ties!
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm using an epoxy paste to glue between the zip ties then after removing the ties filling in the rest and filling the holes. Then adding a strip of glass on the seams.
            Attached Files

Comment

After flipping it over and studying the deck I realize that modifying the sail boat deck is going to be more difficult than just building a new deck the way I want it. So I ditch the deck and start fiber glassing the interior.
              Adding stringers, bulk heads and rub rails.

Comment

Oops!
                Attached Files

Comment

!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Completing exterior fiberglass, adding strakes and fairing and primer.
                    Attached Files

Comment

You have some good skills. Looking great!!

Comment

Looking good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks great. I had looked into this as I had seen some of the solo skiffs and others. Looked at the force 5 and a Laser. I just decided I don't have the time to make it happen. Too many other projects.

Comment

Painting the hull

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Glassing stringers and bulk heads.
                              Adding support for deck and installing conduit.
                              Adding foam under main deck and around the fuel tank. Main deck.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X