Atv crimper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atv crimper

Think this type of crimper would work for small food plots about 1-2ac? I don’t want to spend a couple thousand dollars on a crimper that I would use twice a year. I’m thinking something bigger in diameter than an oxygen tank and adding some weight, but you get the idea. Been talking to local guy to get it made. I don’t have a welder or the time to make it.

Wildlife Management / Food Plots - An ATV Roller/Crimper - I posted this one a few years back using Photobucket as the 3rd. party picture host. Those pictures no longer show because I refuse tp pay Photobucket's newly implemented ridiculous fee for hosting. After recently receiving a request for the photos from a forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk if it’ll be heavy enough as is. I’d suggest using round steel pipe with a threaded cap on one end so you can add/remove water or sand to vary the weight. Otherwise it looks good to me. Let us know if it works well cause I may need to build me one

Comment

I think someone here on TBH may have built that. I'd have to do a little digging, but I know I have seen this on here somewhere.

I'd like to know how well it works because I could use one as well.

Comment

I like the idea, but weight is what makes a crimper work. Not sure an ATV can handle that.

Comment

I'll update when it's finished. Planning to add extra weight and a plug or cap on one side to add sand or water. I can pull it with the tractor if it's too heavy for the atv but it shouldn't be too bad as long as it rolls ok.

Comment

^

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
              I'll update when it's finished. Planning to add extra weight and a plug or cap on one side to add sand or water. I can pull it with the tractor if it's too heavy for the atv but it shouldn't be too bad as long as it rolls ok.
              300lbs should be good

Comment

Went with a thicker pipe and heavier angle iron to increase weight. It’s heavy, but not sure how much. The dry weeds are pretty tough to knock down. I think it will work much better on winter wheat and oats in the spring when still green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome stuff! Maybe add a bracket of some sort to add more weight to it if needed?

Comment

So I know what you are doing, just don't know why, could you fill me in?

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                      Awesome stuff! Maybe add a bracket of some sort to add more weight to it if needed?
                      Yep, might add on some steel or put a post for adding weights on top of the triangle frame if needed.

Originally posted by Welding Teach View Post
                      So I know what you are doing, just don't know why, could you fill me in?

The idea is it's a way to improve soil quality w/o fertilizer, herbicides, and discing up the soil each time you plant. Crimping is designed to terminate the standing veg and provide a thatch/mulch for the seeds to grow and limit moisture loss. This is just a trial for me to see if it's going to work for not.

See El Gato's thread and look it up on Growing Deer tv. They both use crimpers on a much larger scale with real equipment. Works best with a no-till drill but also can be done by broadcasting seed before knocking it down. Using one with an atv allows me to get to plots that my tractor couldn't reach when its too muddy.

Comment

The idea is it's a way to improve soil quality w/o fertilizer, herbicides, and discing up the soil each time you plant. Crimping is designed to terminate the standing veg and provide a thatch/mulch for the seeds to grow and limit moisture loss. This is just a trial for me to see if it's going to work for not.

See El Gato's thread and look it up on Growing Deer tv. They both use crimpers on a much larger scale with real equipment. Works best with a no-till drill but also can be done by broadcasting seed before knocking it down. Using one with an atv allows me to get to plots that my tractor couldn't reach when its too muddy.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. I can see how having the ATV size would be a lot more "agile" than a bigger one for the tractor.

You might even think about a "tandem" set. It might be like a pre crimp then the second one knock it down all the way. Either way really cool build!

Comment

An old water heater core may be a good idea too, allows you to fill with water. Curious how well this works

Comment

That's pretty snazzy

Comment

I like it

Comment

Working...
                              X