X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if there are mosquito huggers in some corner of the internet

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I need some dang june bug snakes is what I need!
      Garter snake and common grass snake eat insects. Both are non-venomous. They're are several others that eat insects.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
        OK--to tell a good snake from a bad snake, look it in the eye--a good snake has a round pupil and a bad snake has an elliptical (slit) pupil, just like a cat's.

Check 'em out here and the copperhead's pic really shows it well.

http://www.wikihow.com/Identify-a-Venomous-Snake
        no thanks...

you look it in the eyes, and when it bits you if you start going into shock or having issues I will kill the snake and take you to the hospital for anti venom...

I need your number so I can call you to come over next time I see a snake!!!

k...

Comment

I am afraid that I am going to run into one while I am running.

I run through some tall grass areas, and spooked something that took off slithering through the weeds the other day. startled me out into the road into "traffic" (one truck 100 yards away going 30)... never did see it. just weeds moving.

then as I finish my run I am thinking that when your heart rate is elevated that is probably the WORST time to get snake bit (by a poisonous snake)... then on top of that I am 5-10 minute run from the house/phone/help...

that was a bit scary to think about. I probably wouldnt make it home.

Comment

Ya I will look at its eyes after the machete has found it's head

Comment

I had my 5 y/o son 4 feet from a cotton mouth 3weeks ago at the lease. We pones it so he would show us his fangs. I explained good snakes, dangerous snakes and told him until I tell him it is ok he must treat them all as dangerous. When we were done with the lesson we let it slither away in peace. I do not kill snakes unless they are on my turf( my yard) and only dangerous snakes get it then. All others get a pass.
              I rekin that qualifies me as a snake hugger.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                I had my 5 y/o son 4 feet from a cotton mouth 3weeks ago at the lease. We pones it so he would show us his fangs. I explained good snakes, dangerous snakes and told him until I tell him it is ok he must treat them all as dangerous. When we were done with the lesson we let it slither away in peace. I do not kill snakes unless they are on my turf( my yard) and only dangerous snakes get it then. All others get a pass.
                Yep!

Comment

That should have turned into a target practice lesson

Comment

I think that is a valuable lesson.

I've relocated more than I've killed, and I actually think Copperheads are a beautiful, but I can't align myself with either side, because if I'm out hunting and a target of opportunity slithers in front of me, I'm gonna to stake my claim atop the animal kingdom and kill it. If I'm chilling around the house and a rat snake wonders in the yard, I'll put on the garden glove capture it and let it go in teh field across the street from my house. The only problem there is last time I did that I was drinking a beer with neighbor who lives next to the field and he told me a story about how he found a rat snake in the field next to his house and chopped it's head off and judging from the time and the description it was likely the snake I let loose.

Comment

I think folks with the "kill em' all" attitude outnumber the "snakehuggers" by a large margin. A couple weeks ago there was a beautiful speckled kingsnake in the middle of a county road near my house. I stopped and got out of the truck with the intention of getting it off the road before it got squashed. As I was walking up to the snake, a lady in a Suburban swerved out of her lane to run over it! She probably went home and told everybody she saved the life of some idiot that was about to get bit by a dangerous snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggieivy06 View Post
                        That's exactly how I tell the difference...right after I cut off their head.
                        This

Comment

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                          No no. Ol JSF is an alright dude.
                          Lol likewise

Comment

Yall really crack me up!

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            I need some dang june bug snakes is what I need!
                            I've got a ton of June bugs I'll gladly lone ya Dale if you think that might bring-em in for ya . Hi Dale!

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                            ....The point is, snakes are evil and scary and should all be hacked to little bitty pieces with a machete then the pieces should be burned and the ashes buried!

Frank, you do realize that this is a TBHer that you just described. I'm sure many old timers will remember the postings of Trail Boss .

Comment

Originally posted by kfd82 View Post
                              There has been a lot of talk lately from the snake hugger crowd about Learning which snake is this or that, venomous or non, "good" or "bad", etc.

There is a thread on here right now about a snake climbing up someones door. On that thread folks have looked at the picture and identified the snake as a Chicken Snake with such follow up comments as - Oh yeah, chicken snake for sure, and That's a chicken snake alright...

Here is what comes up when you google Chicken Snake and click on images -

50 different snakes! Some look like copperheads, some look like water moccasins. It's just too dang close to call on a few of them.

It seems like every non-venomous snake posted here is either a chicken snake or a rat snake.

Then there was a guy the other day that suggested I could tell the difference by looking at the snakes pupils! Yeah, like I'm gonna get close enough to a rattleheaded copper moccasin to check his pupils!

The point is, snakes are evil and scary and should all be hacked to little bitty pieces with a machete then the pieces should be burned and the ashes buried!
                              preach it brother, can we have an amen!!!

if they are not close to the house, speckled and banded king snakes get to live, green grass snakes, and garter snakes....almsot wihtout fail the rest are idenified after execution, and given to the ants to keep them happy

Comment

Trailboss is the best with them snakes. I still remember the night he had to answer a call for a snake on the porch! It was a great story.

Here's a couple from the past:

Trailboss the snake catcher! (Honest, I ain't lyin.)
                                http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ighlight=snake

My deer lease surprise!
                                http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ighlight=snake
                                Last edited by Tmag; 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X