No announcement yet.

Ranch Cabin Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I've been at it for two years this month and I keep an eye on your build and have using it to get ideas. it looks like you are finally able to stay in it and enjoy it. You have come up with some creative ideas for things and I think it is a cool build. All of the metal framing you did on it is what caught my eye. I think your cabin is sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
      Thanks. I've been at it for two years this month and I keep an eye on your build and have using it to get ideas. it looks like you are finally able to stay in it and enjoy it. You have come up with some creative ideas for things and I think it is a cool build. All of the metal framing you did on it is what caught my eye. I think your cabin is sweet.
      For others who want to follow along; here is Mark's Build: https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=807845

Comment

Freakin awesome man!!

Comment

Barn door

What kind of wood did you use on your barn door? I’m gonna be building one for my cabin and I like the way yours turned out. Where did you get the hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by macoop View Post
            What kind of wood did you use on your barn door? I’m gonna be building one for my cabin and I like the way yours turned out. Where did you get the hardware?
            I bought everything on Amazon.

The barn doors were 150.00 each (they cam with the door handles) Pic1 The doors were really easy to put together and you can choose to use the diagonal piece or leave it off. They are pretty nice heavy doors. I stained them dark walnut to match the other dark wood in the cabin.

The hardware was a kit that had the bar and hangers. I paid 76.00 for 2 sets of them back in 2019. Now that steel went up they are about 50.00 each. Pic 2
            Attached Files

Comment

Have you had any luck keeping those axis around?

I've been busy at my place setting up rain catchment systems by the feeders for water, alfalfa feeders, keeping the corn feeder going, and putting up a hog fence and still not seeing axis even semi consistently (saw them show up once in 4 months). Was there anything you did that you saw them start to show more often?

Comment

Originally posted by joel1618 View Post
                Have you had any luck keeping those axis around?

I've been busy at my place setting up rain catchment systems by the feeders for water, alfalfa feeders, keeping the corn feeder going, and putting up a hog fence and still not seeing axis even semi consistently (saw them show up once in 4 months). Was there anything you did that you saw them start to show more often?
                I have not seen any axis since the freeze. I have heard them around at night but they are not coming to feeders.

What I found worked best was Chaffhaye. Seemed like within a few hours from the time I put it out the axis would show up. They also liked cotton seed and wild berry flavored nuggets.

Comment

Originally posted by wlee15 View Post
                  I have not seen any axis since the freeze. I have heard them around at night but they are not coming to feeders.

What I found worked best was Chaffhaye. Seemed like within a few hours from the time I put it out the axis would show up. They also liked cotton seed and wild berry flavored nuggets.
                  Thanks! I'll have to try that.

Comment

Over the last month we have gotten a few things done:

1) Propane tank: I got the local propane company to bring out a 120 gallon tank and connect it to the house. This tank is only for the showers water heater and for the 30,000 BTU cabin heater. (pics 1&2)

2) Water Well: The well company got the water well completed with the solar Panels and 3000 gal water tank. (pics 3&4)

3) Water to the cabin: We ran a 1.5" poly line from the 3K tank to the house. We removed the old tote and connected the water line to the cabins water line. We also added in the sink connection. (pic 5,6,7) The water pressure to the sink is not that good because I choked it down to 1/2" pex so I will probably add a RV pump under the sink for it have more pressure. For now it works though.

I think the curb appeal is much better now that the tote is gone (pic 9)

We connected the water to the cabin on Friday. Friday night we had an awesome crawfish and shrimp boil. It was amazing.

Saturday afternoon I went to take a shower. I left the propane off to the heater because it was a hot day and I wanted a cool shower. I turned on the shower and the water was nice for about 40 seconds. All of a sudden it started to heat up. The water temp gauge on the shower jumped up to 47 degrees Celsius.... that is about 116 degrees F. AND of course I already had shampoo in the hair and all over my body. It was not fun getting washed off but I did. The girls were with me and wanted a shower too. I had to let the water run almost 8 minutes before the hot water in the poly pipe was gone and cool water ran. Lesson learned is take your summer showers in the evening or morning, or let the hot water run out first. I could install a large tank by the cabin to prevent this but I really don't want to. Eventually I will try to cover the poly line to help insulate it.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Over the last month we have gotten a few things done:

1) Propane tank: I got the local propane company to bring out a 120 gallon tank and connect it to the house. This tank is only for the showers water heater and for the 30,000 BTU cabin heater. (pics 1&2)

2) Water Well: The well company got the water well completed with the solar Panels and 3000 gal water tank. (pics 3&4)

3) Water to the cabin: We ran a 1.5" poly line from the 3K tank to the house. We removed the old tote and connected the water line to the cabins water line. We also added in the sink connection. (pic 5,6,7) The water pressure to the sink is not that good because I choked it down to 1/2" pex so I will probably add a RV pump under the sink for it have more pressure. For now it works though.

I think the curb appeal is much better now that the tote is gone (pic 9)

We connected the water to the cabin on Friday. Friday night we had an awesome crawfish and shrimp boil. It was amazing.

Saturday afternoon I went to take a shower. I left the propane off to the heater because it was a hot day and I wanted a cool shower. I turned on the shower and the water was nice for about 40 seconds. All of a sudden it started to heat up. The water temp gauge on the shower jumped up to 47 degrees Celsius.... that is about 116 degrees F. AND of course I already had shampoo in the hair and all over my body. It was not fun getting washed off but I did. The girls were with me and wanted a shower too. I had to let the water run almost 8 minutes before the hot water in the poly pipe was gone and cool water ran. Lesson learned is take your summer showers in the evening or morning, or let the hot water run out first. I could install a large tank by the cabin to prevent this but I really don't want to. Eventually I will try to cover the poly line to help insulate it.
                      Very nice! Do you still have the above ground black water tank? Do you think that will start to be more of an issue now that you have a lot more water?

Comment

Originally posted by joel1618 View Post
                        Very nice! Do you still have the above ground black water tank? Do you think that will start to be more of an issue now that you have a lot more water?
                        No the black tank is for the toilet only. ALL grey water runs to the ground for the trees and shrubs.

Comment

No the black tank is for the toilet only. ALL grey water runs to the ground for the trees and shrubs.
                          Now that tank makes sense. I was trying to figure out how you were storing up all your used water before. This seems like the best way to go.

Comment

Man that thing looks great in the middle of all of those cedars. You've got to be proud of that thing. You've come a long way from the first time I saw it when you were welding up the framing and structure. Great job. I know you are enjoying staying in it.

Comment

Still amazed at the way it’s turned out. Working on getting a place out in the area, if it pans out I’ll be sending a ton of PMs your way to pick your brain. Congrats completely awesome!

Comment

First post, I have read this from page 1. You have great skills. You have also done a great job raising your children.
                                I am retired water well driller and saw the post about the FREE hot water from the poly pipe LOL. Back in the day we would sometimes have to pump water to remote sites a mile away and in the summer I have had it burst from the heat and pressure. He had to cover it with leaves or what ever we could find and keep the water moving.
                                1 note to the guy building his system for every foot of positive elevation the water is above the outlet you get roughly 1/2 PSI of pressure. So if you need 40 PSI the top of the water in the tank would need to be 80' above the tap.
                                If you need to reduce the pressure put the pressure reduction valve as close to the source as possible. The longer the run of pipe the more pressure you will loose,Google friction loss chart. f you need more an on demand pump.
                                2 we used galvanized fittings and Bandit clamps that went on with a ratchet tool,no leaks.
                                Hopefully that might help someone. Cool thread I've enjoyed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X