Any Exotic Vets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Exotic Vets?

Looking to see if there are any exotic vets on the GreenScreen.

Had a question about a fallow doe that is having some issues. She gave birth (first timer) but is having some hip issues. Still eating and feeding the baby just having some troubles in the rear end.

Wanted to see what if anything I could dart her with while still nursing the little one to help give her some pain management.

I’m not an exotic vet but a mixed animal practitioner and I wouldn’t hesitate to dart her with banamine or dexamethasone at 1-2ml/100lbs

Comment

Originally posted by AggieDVM15 View Post
      I’m not an exotic vet but a mixed animal practitioner and I wouldn’t hesitate to dart her with banamine or dexamethasone at 1-2ml/100lbs
      Thank you for the info, I am assuming this won't harm the fawn?

Comment

Originally posted by AggieDVM15 View Post
        I accidently posted twice, not sure how to delete..
        Last edited by npe001; 07-29-2022, 11:50 AM.

Comment

We never use dex on our fallow no reason just don’t. Banamine at 1cc/100lb. IM. Don’t use a 3/4” dart. Longer if you have them. I am not a vet but we raise fallow in the pasture and the pen and go off what our current vet recommended.
          Last edited by cantexduck; 07-29-2022, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Follow the above advice!

Comment

Originally posted by npe001 View Post
              Thank you for the info, I am assuming this won't harm the fawn?
              No sir I use them both in cattle, pigs, horses, sheep, and goats with babies on their side and occasionally while pregnant (not dex bc it can induce labor) and have never had any issues whatsoever.

Again I haven’t worked on any fallow but couldn’t see any reason not to use dex. It’s one of the most potent anti-inflammatories we have available. Sounds like the doe may be having some neurological issues (possible obturator paralysis/paresis) from the delivery. I’d start with the banamine but wouldn’t hesitate to break out the dex if she doesn’t show any response. I often use both together.

Comment

Working...
              X