Cottonseed-Buck Sterility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottonseed-Buck Sterility

First off, I have been feeding cottonseed year-round for 4 years because I do not buy in to the theory in the wild. That said, it can't be completely dismissed. At what point is supplemental feed, no longer the supplement. The deer have been absolutely hammering the cottonseed lately. Haven't had a drop of rain in a month of Sundays. Food is scarce. I'm going through 300# of cottonseed every 10 days. A group of 6-8 bucks there every morning and evening. Is there any reason to be concerned with that level of consumption?
    Last edited by SAC; 07-26-2022, 09:44 AM.

Just in your wallet.

Comment

I tend to recommend cutting it out after velvet sheds until post-rut. Its normally a safe guard recommendation for most properties, but with the range conditions this year I worry about potential sterilization from higher consumption.

Comment

Good point. I also don’t push into the notion that most deer in the wild should never get close to consumption past the the point of sterility. But in years like this with intake of cotton seed substantially higher I figure it would be safer to cut them off before Thanksgiving in our area down south.

Comment

Drought conditions have been a problem for us most of the last 4 years. We've never backed off the cottonseed and feed year round. When we have summer grass we have 100%+ fawn crops.

Comment

Keep feedin
            Nothin to worry about IMO

Comment

If your concerned with cottonseed why are you feeding it?

Comment

Working...
              X