New Property and Need Food Plot Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Property and Need Food Plot Suggestions

We recently purchased a small property in Hamilton county. Just received my soil sample report back from A&M. Green screen experts have any suggestions as to what might do best in this alkaline environment? Thanks in advance!

pH - 7.4
    N - 1 ppm
    P - 41 ppm
    K - 473 ppm
    Ca, Mg & S were all well above the critical limit.

And what are options to try and reduce soil pH level?

Thanks!

It’s not all that bad, 7 being neutral. Gypsum will reduce the ph if you think it needs it.

That said, grow you a good crop of winter wheat, which will grow almost anywhere, and turn it under next year, then test again for ph.

Comment

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
      We recently purchased a small property in Hamilton county. Just received my soil sample report back from A&M. Green screen experts have any suggestions as to what might do best in this alkaline environment? Thanks in advance!

pH - 7.4
      N - 1 ppm
      P - 41 ppm
      K - 473 ppm
      Ca, Mg & S were all well above the critical limit.

And what are options to try and reduce soil pH level?

Thanks!
      Better check the:

- h20

for Hamilton county before you invest in a food plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Philip-TX View Post
        Better check the:

- h20

for Hamilton county before you invest in a food plot.
        I hear ya, it's been crazy dry. Just trying to prepare if it looks like there might be a chance. Got some decent rain up there today it appears. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
          It’s not all that bad, 7 being neutral. Gypsum will reduce the ph if you think it needs it.

That said, grow you a good crop of winter wheat, which will grow almost anywhere, and turn it under next year, then test again for ph.
          Thanks for the tip, will probably give it some time to see if it drifts down some before investing much to move it myself. Appreciate your input!

Comment

Pretty country and congratulations. That area is in extreme drought so you'll grow a mole on your behind before you grow anything in that soil right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCat View Post
              Pretty country and congratulations. That area is in extreme drought so you'll grow a mole on your behind before you grow anything in that soil right now.
              LOL, thanks BC, I know, it's rough up there right now. Watched the tank dry up to nothing last time we were up there.

Comment

To lower PH, I'd use sulphur.

Comment

Don't do anything in an attempt to alter ph. What's the soul texture, that is sandy, loam, clay?

Comment

Originally posted by Top Of Texas View Post
                    Don't do anything in an attempt to alter ph. What's the soul texture, that is sandy, loam, clay?

Soil is mostly a clay-loam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
                      Soil is mostly a clay-loam.

Wheat.

Comment

Out there I'd stick to wheat and possibly oats. Don't worry about current drought. It will break eventually and usually in September. But that area I wouldn't even try much more than those two.

Comment

Originally posted by sp-bow View Post
                          To lower PH, I'd use sulphur.
                          This.

Comment

I planted oats last Sept. to keep my dirt from washing off. Once it got a rain on it, it came right up and looked great. I wanted to leave it but had to disc it under in order to plant my permanent grass.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                              Out there I'd stick to wheat and possibly oats. Don't worry about current drought. It will break eventually and usually in September. But that area I wouldn't even try much more than those two.

Thanks for the recommendation and encouragement! Was up yesterday and actually had enough rain this past Wednesday to put a little water back in the tank!

Comment

Working...
                              X