Cleaning cast iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
    No idea but would recommend you do some research before eating off of anything soaked in that stuff

OK
    Got off early enought to finish cleaning the lid and start on the pot

Here is the lid after pulling out of the tank, washing with soapy water and rinsing
    [ATTACH]1116374[/ATTACH]

Here are some pictures of the tank I am using
    Plastic trash can
    Ancient battery charger
    The white bubbles around the mower blade indicate things are working

[ATTACH]1116375[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1116376[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1116377[/ATTACH]

wiped the lid dry and set oven to 350 and put lid in. When temp reached 350 I let it sit for about 20min to make sure lid was HOT
    Then gve it a light coat of grape seed oil and put it back in oven to cool
    Tomorrow night I will warm lid up to 425 and apply a 2nd coat of grape seed oil.
    The inside of the pot may get a few more layers of seasoning to help reduce sticking when cooking

[ATTACH]1116378[/ATTACH]

Pictures of the pot befor I put it in the tank, should be ready to start seasoning by Wednesday night

[ATTACH]1116379[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1116380[/ATTACH]

That works better than I would have guessed. I think I have heard of someone cleaning stuff that way, years ago. But the other time I heard of someone trying it, I am not sure they did it correctly. I don't think their results came out anywhere near as good as your results. The other time I saw a post about trying this method, I remember everybody's opinion, was it was not worth the trouble, for some very minor improvements. I am guessing that guy did not do something correctly.

Comment

RBP if you get polarity reversed it will defintely create a big mess

Also, adding the washing powder does something to the ability of the water to conduct the electrical charge. Maybe they used plain tap water?

Comment

Nice job, Brian! And nice job on the thread!

Comment

Good thread to tag for future reference.

Comment

I use PH- you get at the pool supply or pool section of the big box stores. Never heard of not using stainless steel as that is what I use. I buy the stainless steel baffles that go in a propane grill over the burners. They are cheap and have worked great for me. Best way to clean anything rusty that's for sure.

Comment

I’ve got one I’ve got to try this on.!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                I use PH- you get at the pool supply or pool section of the big box stores. Never heard of not using stainless steel as that is what I use. I buy the stainless steel baffles that go in a propane grill over the burners. They are cheap and have worked great for me. Best way to clean anything rusty that's for sure.
                I am going by what I have read in several places on the internet.

Creates toxic waste and can affect your health

Here is one from a quick google search

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Following

Comment

Working...
                    X