No announcement yet.

Any Gout Sufferers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three main things raise uric acid levels;Fructose, Not whole fruits but fructose commonly found in fruit juices, salad dressing sauces, condiments, packaged foods,...and an endless list. Sugar is in almost all processed foods.

Alcohol especially beer

And purines, commonly found in some sea foods, meat even some legumes.

Excess uric acid manifests in numerous ways from gout obviously to everything from itchy scalp, psoriasis high blood pressure, belly fat, liver issues, gall bladder issues.....a list too long to write.

One doesn't have to completely eliminate all fructose, alcohol, or purines but its not that hard to greatly reduce them with many beneficial health results. And its just me but there is no way I'm going on any pharmaceutical for the rest of my life when I can make changes that improve my health and eliminate the root cause of gout along with improving many other health markers at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
      Three main things raise uric acid levels;Fructose, Not whole fruits but fructose commonly found in fruit juices, salad dressing sauces, condiments, packaged foods,...and an endless list. Sugar is in almost all processed foods.

Alcohol especially beer

And purines, commonly found in some sea foods, meat even some legumes.

Excess uric acid manifests in numerous ways from gout obviously to everything from itchy scalp, psoriasis high blood pressure, belly fat, liver issues, gall bladder issues.....a list too long to write.

One doesn't have to completely eliminate all fructose, alcohol, or purines but its not that hard to greatly reduce them with many beneficial health results. And its just me but there is no way I'm going on any pharmaceutical for the rest of my life when I can make changes that improve my health and eliminate the root cause of gout along with improving many other health markers at the same time.

This is exactly what I did to help control mine. I changed my diet. I've also started a cardio excersise program, in moderation.

Poor kindey function can also contribute to it. As your kidneys are supposed to filter out the uric acid. Kidney function declines as we get older. Good blood flow to the kidney will help reduce that. And a good way to increase blood flow is through cardio excersise. This will also improve blood flow where gout attacks happen, like the feet where circulation is usually slowest in the body. And help reduce the attacks. However, doing to much cardio, or excersise can contribute to the problem as well. Because your muscell cells use up ATP. And uric acid, along with latic acid, is a by product of such. Uric acid is the final waist product of various products your body dosn't need. Your body will always produce it, to some points higher than others. It's controlling the production and excreation (kidneys filtering out) of uric acid is what helps keep the gout atacks down.

For anyone who sees a doctor regualry, or does labs quarterly like I do, I'd suggest you learn to read them. And keep track of them.

Comment

My grandmother had it. Quit meat and ate a ton of pecans.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
          My grandmother had it. Quit meat and ate a ton of pecans.

Only meats I eat out of the store any more are turkey and chicken. I quit beef and pork again, June 2019. Was off it most all the '90s up till about 8-9 years ago. Fatted meats will help produce uric acids. I do eat deer meat and other wild meats if I can get it. But it's been pretty limited.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            I am probably an outlier in this conversation because even though I have had gout I always look to lifestyle for causes and what I can do naturally for cures. Dr. David Perlmutter has a great book out on how uric acid effects the body and what can be done about it. Book is called " Drop Acid". Irrespective of ones approach to gout its worth understanding the problems excess uric acid causes , how lifestyle and diet contribute, and what can be done.
            elgato, thanks for the tip on the book. Just ordered it.

Comment

I get it a few times per year. Lots of water and a massager on the site works for me. It hurts like hell but it always make me feel better afterwards. My theory is that the massager helps to break up the crystals and the water flushes everything out.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

I concur.

Originally posted by HUNTIN HARD View Post
                I take allopurinol every day and I still get flares. Doc said stop eating red meat, seafood, and stop drinking alcohol!!!!! Told him well I guess I’m going to keep getting gout lol
                I resemble those remarks !

Comment

I concur.

I keep a prednisone pack handy. Usually over it by 1/2 a pk.
                  Last edited by 12ring; 08-17-2022, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andre3k View Post
                    I get it a few times per year. Lots of water and a massager on the site works for me. It hurts like hell but it always make me feel better afterwards. My theory is that the massager helps to break up the crystals and the water flushes everything out.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk
                    One day I stood on some shredder blades to hold them down as my friend sharpened them with a grinder when I had recently had bad gout pain in my ankle. The pain was gone, but the joint was tight. The next day my ankle was moving smooth as silk with no tightness.

Now I get the same effect whenever I need it by vibrating my gout joint (after ending the swelling and pain with Indomethecin) with a palm sander that is wrapped in a shop rag. Try it.

Comment

It seems that people that have gout, also have a higher risk for heart disease.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                        This flare up has lasted over 2 weeks now. I just went to the doctor this afternoon and she put me on Indomethacin 3 times a day for the next week. I sure hope this help, I can barely manage to walk. Even the sheet touching my foot makes it hurt. She said my blood pressure medicine can cause flare ups, so we may need to change it.
                        Keith, my flare ups always last three to four weeks. I get them in my right ankle. It makes it very hard to walk.

Comment

The majority of the gout flareups that I see we place a steroid injection in and around the joint. That really speeds up the resolve of the flareup. I do not recommend people starting on allopurinol unless they have had more than two flareups a year. Majority of the time someone that suffers with gout will have around .5 to 1 flareup over year and you just treat it with medication. Indomethacin works great taking 50 mg twice a day with food. But it is also hard on your kidneys. Anyone with kidney disease or familial kidney disease I do not recommend indomethacin. Allopurinol for chronic gout patients works great. Almost all patients need to take 300 mg daily to control it. There are no more side effects with 300 mg versus 100 mg of allopurinol. If someone has kidney disease I recommend placing a steroid on Jackson into the area to resolve a flareup versus taking medication. we do prescribe colchicine 0.6 mg twice a day until the pain goes away. This can cause diarrhea. The original way to prescribe colchicine was take one tablet every hour until the flareup resolves or do you have diarrhea. Interesting way to dispense that as well as would be a comical trial to discover that that works.

Comment

Working...
                          X