I found this interesting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this interesting!!

Now I don't feel so good about my "fire proof" safes AT ALL!!!!

Fire proof is a joke in a full on house fire

They heat up during fire and hold heat a long time which effectively bakes whatever is inside.

Comment

It's just sheetrock in most fireproof safes and they are not air-tight so it's getting covered in smoke/water.

Unless you are spending TONS of money, safes only slow down thieves and fire.

Comment

I think mine is 90 minutes at 1800 deg. Hard to believe anything could last that long at that temp. Pretty sure that temperature rating is on the outside and not the inside. 1800 deg is beyond the transition from magnetic to non magnetic and above the quench temp. for most metals except stainless steels. Carbon steel starts to glow red then orange at a little above 1450 deg. It will be light yellow orange at 1800 and white hot at 2200.
        I have a pretty good rider on my homeowner insurance to cover what my or may not be in my safe.

FWIW if you have important papers that need extra protection you can sandwich them between two calcium silicate fire boards 1" thick and they will be protected up to 3000 deg for short periods.

The safe in that video did a pretty good job protecting the guns however I would be leery about shooting any of the more burnt ones as the steel properties may have degraded.

Comment

It's possible to design a safe that would protect, guns from a fire, but by the time some company builds one, then puts it on the market, it would probably be a $12,000 safe. It would probably cost $4000 to build,but it could be done. I put some thought into this a while back, seriously considered getting started buying the materials.

Comment

There is no fire proof safe. They all have different ratings, that video has a cheap safe that Academy & Cabelas have. 1/4” fire board and sheet metal. A thief’s wet dream

Comment

All it does is give some much needed time for the FD to get there...it's going to reach the ambient temp depending on protection. This is why mfg's recommend trying to position your safe in the corner of the house that has the exterior brick on two sides.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                It's possible to design a safe that would protect, guns from a fire, but by the time some company builds one, then puts it on the market, it would probably be a $12,000 safe. It would probably cost $4000 to build,but it could be done. I put some thought into this a while back, seriously considered getting started buying the materials.
                True. A single 1 in x 24 in x 48 in Calcium Silicate High Temperature Insulation board can cost upwards of $400. A good sized safe might use as much as 6 sheets to get er done. That would be $2400 not including the cement to seal it all up with. I've built a couple of forges so I know how expensive it is to make a forge that is 2500 deg inside and still be able to touch the outside without burning your hand. My forges all have 2" thick insulation. I still have about 5 lbs of satanite cement left for repairs to the insulation lining.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  All it does is give some much needed time for the FD to get there...it's going to reach the ambient temp depending on protection. This is why mfg's recommend trying to position your safe in the corner of the house that has the exterior brick on two sides.

Mine is located in a specific spot on an outside wall where the studs are removable for extraction if I ever have to get the safe out. My whole life is in my safe.

Comment

I was pretty thankful I had my browning safe. Definitely not smoke proof tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve seen several safes in house fires at this point in my career and I’d say for the most part they hold up well as long as the whole house isn’t rocking. You get a room and contents fire or something that we can knock down relatively quick they do well from fire and do a great job of keeping water and debris out while ceiling is being pulled. All that being said, I’ve seen one that didn’t get reported for a while and the whole thing was ripping when we arrived. That safe was in worse condition than the one in the video and several of the guns on the inside were pretty messed up. The safe had split along the edges. That safe had been in a big and hot fire for a long time though.

Comment

That was a cheap safe. Most of the higher end ones have serious fire board. Thick metal. And a door seal that swells and seals it up when it gets hot. Not to mention pouches with further protection inside for documents.

Comment

Working...
                        X