Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-25-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
slayr
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country
Default What if....

This recent power outage was 20 years in the future and the greenies have had their way with a much larger percentage of electric vehicles on the road. What would all of those folks done? Generators to charge their car? If fire trucks, ambulances, police vehicles, etc were all electric, seems like it’d be a lot more chaotic.

Just thoughts from my tiny brain....
slayr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #2
dustin_mud
Four Point

I would hope 20 years from now the tech would be much more advanced, but that being said I don't believe we will ever be 100% electric.
dustin_mud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:40 PM   #3
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

What about that amazing electric train they want us to donate our land to and help pay for ?
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:42 PM   #4
slayr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_mud View Post
I would hope 20 years from now the tech would be much more advanced, but that being said I don't believe we will ever be 100% electric.
No matter how advanced the EV technology gets, they’ll still have to be charged.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:45 PM   #5
MadHatter
Ten Point

In 20yrs, I'm gonna guess our battery tech, will be night and day difference from what we now have.
Storing energy, is the only thing currently holding us back.
Big Frigging Problem though
Lots of resources being dumped into that research currently.
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #6
Twist
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon County

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_mud View Post
I’m pretty sure we were supposed to have flying cars by now, yet the masses began hoarding TP about 11 months ago due to an upper respiratory infection.
Twist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:47 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I hear what your saying but the electricity problem could have been an issue for us fossil fuel burners eventually.....

If the pumps can't pump, we have no fuel in the short term.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
dustin_mud
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
No matter how advanced the EV technology gets, they’ll still have to be charged.
Yes, but the range might be a lot longer and maybe charging with solar. Who knows what might be in 20 years, it's a long time in the tech world. All that being said I'll always own fuel burners but I don't mind seeing EV tech growing
dustin_mud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 07:51 PM   #9
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

It would have been bad
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Ah, we only have 9 years left
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 08:55 PM   #11
JBJTX81
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where the wife gives me permission to go.

We would have used our car batteries to help power our electric appliance and would have had an easy source of energy to help maintain. Who was driving in that crap anyway?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
JBJTX81 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 09:44 PM   #12
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

It’s weird...central heat wasn’t common until 1950. In the words of Johnny Lawrence we are a buncha pu$$ies!

They couldn’t charge the electric cars, iPhones, watch TV, play Xbox or get Frappuccino’s.
I on the other hand might have split logs a wee bit smaller, and fired up a generator or worst case scenario I’d made my family put on extra layers of clothes (like they did before the 50’s), fired up a lantern and played card games with my kids and made memories! Know what I wouldn’t have done? Beeched about it!

Last edited by Playa; 02-25-2021 at 09:49 PM.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #13
MadHatter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
It’s weird...central heat wasn’t common until 1950. In the words of Johnny Lawrence we are a buncha pu$$ies!

They couldn’t charge the electric cars, iPhones, watch TV, play Xbox or get Frappuccino’s.
I on the other hand might have split logs a wee bit smaller, and fired up a generator or worst case scenario I’d made my family put on extra layers of clothes (like they did before the 50’s), fired up a lantern and played card games with my kids and made memories! Know what I wouldn’t have done? Beeched about it!
Amen
MadHatter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-25-2021, 10:04 PM   #14
Txtourist
Six Point

Hunt In: MN, SD,TX

Amish didn’t skip a beat.
Txtourist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 05:56 AM   #15
kenner27
Ten Point

This still doesn’t make sense to me. Vehicle batteries 10 years ago (or longer) would have a life much longer than they currently do. Batteries on lawn mowers, four wheelers sxs’s etc are all junk!!
kenner27 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #16
HUNTIN HARD
Ten Point

Hunt In: Refugio, Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post

X10000
HUNTIN HARD is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:32 AM   #17
Charles
Pope & Young

My crystal ball is telling me Horse and Buggies are going to be popular again.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 07:58 AM   #18
huntandfishguy6
Eight Point

I think twenty years from now the transportation industry will look like it did yesterday.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #19
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

20 years from now...that will not be a realistic problem.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 08:47 AM   #20
boy wonder
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My dreams!

We can only speculate, but the less fossil fuels we use, the less it will be available. So, we will need a way to fuel the gennys. And, fossil fuels will be way more expensive.
boy wonder is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 08:52 AM   #21
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayr View Post
This recent power outage was 20 years in the future and the greenies have had their way with a much larger percentage of electric vehicles on the road. What would all of those folks done? Generators to charge their car? If fire trucks, ambulances, police vehicles, etc were all electric, seems like it’d be a lot more chaotic.

Just thoughts from my tiny brain....
They really don't care about you. Most hate humanity altogether, and that includes guys like Bill Gates and Tom Steyer.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #22
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
I hear what your saying but the electricity problem could have been an issue for us fossil fuel burners eventually.....

Lol, no one seems to understand this concept...If it had lasted another two or three days in Houston, no one was going anywhere, except by horse or foot.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 09:14 AM   #23
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
20 years from now...that will not be a realistic problem.
Because somewhere out there today on Texasgranolabareaters.com there is a thread by a future millionaire libtard that says..."I foresee a problem 20 years from now with car battery power recharging during outages. I'm going to start working on a solution now"
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #24
DedDuk
Six Point

Hunt In: East and West TX

I think in 20 years, the Right will have had enough with the left. A repeat of cowboys and indians will take place before then and the greenies will realize that they are not as powerful as they would like to be.
I do think itll get worse before it gets better.
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 AM   #25
Texas452
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenner27 View Post
This still doesn’t make sense to me. Vehicle batteries 10 years ago (or longer) would have a life much longer than they currently do. Batteries on lawn mowers, four wheelers sxs’s etc are all junk!!
This!
Even the double A batteries for my ontime feeders don’t last as long anymore.
We use to get nearly 2 years out of them. Now I have to change them twice a year!
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #26
mikeyb_23
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pleasanton, Public land

With global warming you want have to worry about cold spells like that in the future
mikeyb_23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #27
hpdrifter
Ten Point

Hunt In: anywhere I can

They'll just declare a "National Grid" week. Keeping people from work is no big deal.
hpdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #28
JonBoy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post

This is what I came to say. Sorry to burst the OPs bubble but gas pumps work off electricity too.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 03:55 PM   #29
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

They are getting 600 mile range now. 20 years from now probably 1500 miles i guessing. Cities will still be able to generate or pull electricity. There will be more electric charging stations than gas pumps and gas stations will be fewer. If you open your eyes almost all new fast food, malls, strip centers, etc have charging stations. City buildings even in small town Georgetown had multiple charging stations- the City rec center- youth sports field there has them also. Dont know why folks dont like them- i dont have one but know i will- it will have more torque and HP than my deleted and chipped F250.

Heck it looked to me like the City of Granite Shoals is about to put a couple at their city building.

Last edited by glen; 02-26-2021 at 03:58 PM.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #30
slayr
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
This is what I came to say. Sorry to burst the OPs bubble but gas pumps work off electricity too.
Pls don’t burst my bubble. . There will still be a need for fossil fuels, prob to power the generators to charge their cars or run the power plant or....
Old 02-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #31
RedRocker
Eight Point

20 years from now maybe hydrogen power.
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #32
dustoffer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: S/Central Tx

got this from a buddy---and to add to the cost of an electric car consider battery replacement costs---$2400 or so for a Prius.

I haven’t crunched the numbers so take it at face value.

This is interesting!

A Canadian perspective.
This could make you turn green! Or maybe turn your savings from green to red.
Electric Cars - Are they great or what?

THE PINEHURST PRESS NEWS & VIEWS

Interesting Take on Electric Cars

As an engineer I love the electric vehicle technology However, I
have been troubled for a longtime by the fact that the electrical
energy to keep the batteries charged has to come from the grid and that means more power generation and a huge increase in the distribution infrastructure Whether generated from coal, gas, oil, wind or sun, installed generation capacity is limited A friend sent me the following that says it very well. You should all take a look at this short article.

IF ELECTRIC CARS DO NOT USE GASOLINE, THEY WILL NOT PARTICIPATE IN PAYING A GASOLINE TAX ON EVERY GALLON THAT IS SOLD FOR AUTOMOBILES, WHICH WAS ENACTED SOME YEARS AGO TO HELP TO MAINTAIN OUR ROADS AND BRIDGES. THEY WILL USE THE ROADS, BUT WILL NOT PAY FOR THEIR MAINTENANCE!

In case you were thinking of buying hybrid or an electric car:
Ever since the advent of electric cars, the REAL cost per mile of
those things has never been discussed. All you ever heard was the mpg in terms of gasoline, with nary a mention of the cost of electricity to run it. This is the first article I've ever seen and tells the story pretty much as I expected it to.

Electricity has to be one of the least efficient ways to power things yet they're being shoved down our throats. Glad somebody finally put engineering and math to paper.

At a neighborhood BBQ I was talking to a neighbor, a BC Hydro
Executive. I asked him how that renewable thing was doing. He laughed, then got serious.

If you really intend to adopt electric vehicles, he pointed out, you
had to face certain realities. For example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On our small street (approximately 25 homes), the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than three houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be wildly over-loaded.

This is the elephant in the room with electric vehicles. Our
residential infrastructure cannot bear the load. So as our genius
elected officials promote this nonsense, not only are we being urged to buy these things and replace our reliable, cheap generating systems with expensive, new windmills and solar cells, but we will also have to renovate our entire delivery system! This latter "investment" will not be revealed until we're so far down this dead end road that it will be presented with an 'OOPS...!' and a shrug.

If you want to argue with a green person over cars that are
eco-friendly, just read the following. Note: If you ARE a green
person, read it anyway. It's enlightening.

Eric test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors and he writes, "For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.
"Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran
on the battery. So, the range including the 9-gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles.

It will take you 4.5 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.

According to General Motors, the Volt battery holds 16 kwh of
electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.
The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned ,
so I looked up what I pay for electricity.

I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.
$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery. Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine that gets only 32 mpg. $3.19 per gallon divided by 32 Mpg = $0.10 per mile.

The gasoline powered car costs about $25,000 while the Volt costs $46,000 plus. So the Canadian Government wants loyal Canadians not to do the math, but simply pay twice as much for a car, that costs more than seven times as much to run, and takes three times longer to drive across the country.
dustoffer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-27-2021, 12:13 AM   #33
Zmaxhunter
Four Point

Roughly 62 million homes use natural gas.. make them all go total electric and the grid will melt.
http://naturalgas.org/overview/uses-...0natural%20gas.

Texas is the highest user of NG, 2 times more than the #2.
Neither wind or solar is reliable or sustainable.
Wind simply puts $millions of tax dollars in warren buffets berkshire coffers.
It is unfeasable without the tax credits.
No wind turbine can ever produce enough electricity to offset the enormous carbon footprint it takes to build them.
Zmaxhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top