Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Wood casting platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood casting platform

I've been wanting a casting platform for my boat, I've been using a Yeti but I can't see through it. I was constantly putting it up and down. Aluminum is expensive so I'm going to make a wooden one. Got the platform glued up and the leg holes drilled and fitted. When it warms up a bit I'll epoxy them in and start with the sealing and paint. I plan on using epoxy paint.
    Attached Files

Test fitting on the boat. I think I'm going to like it.
    Attached Files

Comment

How you going to hold it on the boat?

Comment

I'll put a flush fit cleat on the deck and a stainless turn buckle. With a screw eye on the bottom of the platform.

Comment

That will be nice!

Comment

It will be better than always moving a Yeti cooler off the deck for sure. I'll be able to use it in both my boats too.

Comment

Think those legs would need any bracing to help with the racking forces?

Looks sharp though.

Comment

I'll see. They're 1 1/4" drilled through the platform that's 1" thick and it will be pulled down by the turn buckle. I'll put rubber chair tips on the ends that are non slip. All that and I'll only stand on it in calm waters in back lakes. I'll know more when I get the legs epoxied in. The legs are poplar and are pretty sturdy.
                Last edited by kevin nicholls; 02-12-2022, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Man, seems to me like those legs would fold, when you shift your weight around. Have you tried dancing on it yet, I for sure would.

Comment

Drilling them in the top should anchor them. He can always add some triangle shaped braces beside them later. It always amazing to me how just a couple of feet up makes seeing and casting so much easier.

Comment

If it feels wobbly after I get them glued in I’ll put some spindles between them. I think it’s going to be fine though

Comment

Got it sanded, primed and painted with epoxy paint today. It needs to cure for 24 hours. I picked up the stainless hardware to mount it on the boat. I got on it before I painted it and it's very stable.
                        Attached Files

Comment

very well done, sir!

Comment

Are you gonna put some type of non skid on the top?

Comment

Looks sharp!

Comment

Working...
                              X