Another Solar Powered Camera build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Solar Powered Camera build

All thru last season I was getting tired of replacing AA batteries every couple of weeks due to the number of pics my game cameras were taking. Those darn things get expensive! It's not hard for me to burn thru a 50-pack in a season.

This year started a push to revamp all of our lease equipment, and my cameras' power was one of those tasks.

I don't run big fancy cameras but they get the job done. They are all 6V systems running on 8 AA batteries (4x4 in parallel). My plan was to run dual 6V-4Ah batteries in parallel and to build a system that was self-contained on a semi-portable setup.

Wiring plans were "borrowed" from The Handy Hunter YouTube page...

Next step was ordering parts and figuring out a box to put it all in. Knowing that cameras can be susceptible to voltage spikes from solar panels during peak sun times, I included voltage regulators as part of the equipment along with solar charge controllers, diodes, etc.

I picked up some cheap plastic ammo boxes from Buc'ees for $8 ea and the batteries fit perfect. They each sit in a cradle made from 1" insulating foam board (the pink stuff from HD).

The diodes were placed inline on the (+) side of the solar panels going to the charge controller. I had a problem two years ago with a solar panel getting back-fed voltage at night and draining my feeder battery. I didn't want that issue here.

All connected and time for a power test function with the cameras...

Full power to the camera without any AAs! The only problem is that the camera looses power once you pull the cord out, in order to open the camera and access the memory card.
    Throughout my testing phase, I was able to run only 4 AA batteries as just a memory function so I can remove the power cord. (These cameras will actually run by themselves on 4 batteries, but that's not enough power to take pics at night using the IR flash.)

Also during testing, it became apparent that my charge controllers did regulate the voltage on their own. If I used the added regulators, the power was significantly dropped to hinder camera performance (right about 5.8V). Weird, but I just had to pull the regulators out of the system.
    Checking voltages at the power cord during different times of day and at different sun/shade locations, revealed that the controller was able to maintain a steady voltage of 6.45-6.53 volts the entire time even though the solar panels were putting out 9+ volts.

I chose two locations in my backyard for testing: 1) off the back deck which gets full sun almost the entire day; 2) on a tree stand mounted to the base of our big Red Oak tree which provided shade most of the day, and only about 3 hrs of direct sunlight in the late afternoon.
    I started testing this setup at the end of February this year. and would rotate both cameras thru both locations. My dogs, squirrels, a hawk, various other birds, me & my mower, and some WT deer that come up to our back fence all provided subjects to photograph!

On average, both cameras were rocking about 4k + pictures a month! Some times it was upwards of 5k pics, depending on how many times I mowed the grass. Each 6V battery was initially charged up for the beginning of testing. To date (and both cameras have been installed at the lease as of this weekend), all 4 batteries are still at 6.45V+ and have yet to be on a battery charger since February!

Final mounting setup

Since getting the power system figured out for my cameras, it was now time to figure out how I was actually going to mount these things.
    Initially, I thought about the way TXBRASS did his write-up on a similar system by filling an old tire up with concrete and putting this system on a wooden post. That covered the "portable" function I was looking for, but I knew hogs would soon have these things laying in the dirt, or at best pointing a different direction. Neither result would work.

Then I ran across another TBH thread about camera mounts and noticed someone had a setup for t-posts. I also like Gunnyart's T-Post mounts, but being the cheap-b@$tard I am, I just had to make something! I have less than $10 in both of these mounts!

What they look like put together...

And in their spot at the lease...

(better pic up close)

The camera hoods are half of a small bucket for one camera, and half of a large Folgers container on the one shown above. Pop rivets are your friends!

Having these mounted this way on the t-post allows for a solid mount, with some adjustability in height if needed. It also allows for placement on another t-post. Loosen the eye-bolts, slide it off, slide it on another post, then tighten the eye-bolts. Done!

Comment

Very nice, might have to copy this idea.

So you are running the 6 volt batteries in series, instead of The Handy Hunter using one 12 volt battery, correct?

Do you have a parts list or model # of the diode or power cord?

Much appreciated for sharing, this could save a lot of $$ on batteries.

Comment

My cameras are 6V, so I'm running the batteries in parallel (increasing amperage; running in series increases voltage).

The wiring diagram I posted is for a 12V system, but the design is similar; just change from 12V to 6V components.

The solar charger I'm using is listed as "unavailable" on Amazon right now, but I need a few more for other projects and I think I have found a similar replacement (almost looks the same)...

SolarSynthesis-Controller

My cameras use the smaller 4.0mm X 1.7mm power cord adapter...

4.0x1.7 mm cord adapter (10 pk)

These were the diodes I used to keep my batteries from back-feeding into the solar panels at night. You should be able to use these on either 6V or 12V systems.

Rectifier diodes

(Silver line on the diode points toward your battery)

The 3 items listed above, plus ammo boxes, the eye-bolts, and the corner plates welded to the mounts were all that I bought for this project. About $80 when you figure in tax on items. That for both camera setups. It fits within my cheapo-budget!

Comment

2 week update on the camera setups:

Camera #1 (my feeder): from 8/27 thru 9/10 had 6,800 pictures! Battery voltage holding steady at 6.48V, 32Gb SD card was almost full.

Camera #2 (daughter's feeder): 8/27 thru 9/10 had 1,200 pictures. Battery voltage holding steady at 6.49V.

So, there are two things going on here.
          1) my camera still had all the sensitive settings in place from during my testing phase (highest sensitivity setting used to max out battery consumption), which is why there were so many pics. I changed the settings down to a more normal level which should help.

2) my daughter's setup has a camera borrowed from my buddy due to the original camera failing right before I put everything in place at the lease. His settings were much more "normal" so there is a lower picture count. The borrowed camera is also about 4 yrs old.

Either way, it was still a very positive result in that the battery voltage is being maintained. I'm completely happy with this project!

Comment

Just checked out this thread and noticed that I have that same camera, but have been running a 12 volt battery/solar panel on it the whole time. GardePro camera, right?

Comment

No, these were some Chinese made ones (name starts with an "M") that look like a whole bunch of others, same camera system but marketed under different names. My original setups were using 6V cameras, but one of them died a few weeks back. I bought the brand as a replacement, but they are only making 12V cameras now.

I'm still using the same box, batteries, mount setup, but I just rewired the batteries in series to bump it all up to 12V for the one replacement camera and added a 12V solar panel.

Comment

Working...
              X