No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leemo, what will this do to the crabs? Same as fish?

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
      I'm not sure where you do most of your fishing. Where I do most of my fishing I'd say the guilty are more prevalent than the innocent. Yes I'm a liberal clueless hippy because I don't see an issue with cutting back the limits to give the fisheries time to recover IF it is needed. I see your point with the government like to take things away and not give them back. I understand that, but assuming that this is actually temporary I don't mind it a bit. As I think about this though, I don't think this will have impact on the places I'd be fishing because we share water with the Cajuns... They'll probably increase their limits if we cut ours back! lol
      I see where you're coming from. There's no secret where I fish. Most of these gents have been on my boat and I'm not scared to show them fishing spots.

I'm not sure how old your are, but when TP&W reduced the redfish limit they swore up and down they'd give it back once they recovered. The redfish population was at epic numbers before this freeze and have been for years.

The schools of redfish I've seen are unreal and seem un bothered by pressure. Yet there has not been any push at all to increase the limit.

Now don't get me wrong I'm good with the current limit, but they're not giving an ounce of what they've taken away back. And won't.

What you're asking for is big brother to tell us what to do. Personally I think they've told us enough.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
        Leemo, what will this do to the crabs? Same as fish?
        Crab are in their happy place; buried up in the mud, when the water temp gets below 45’ crab go into a state of “atrophy “. Crab will be ok !
        Thanks for asking

Comment

More regulations and stricter laws aren't going to change a thing. They take away and don't give back. We have to police ourselves and change the attitudes of the keep em all crowd, and I'm not talking about legal limits. There's too much illegal taking of fish, I see it all the time. Watch that Lone Star Law show it's rampent on the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
            Crab are in their happy place; buried up in the mud, when the water temp gets below 45’ crab go into a state of “atrophy “. Crab will be ok !
            Thanks for asking
            Torpor......not atrophy, couldn’t remember the right term! Lol

Comment

YOU may be a big enough boy to figure it out, but I'm afraid the million other jack wagons are screwing the pooch on this one. There are a lot of people who will keep fish just to take a pic and post on Facebook or IG. Hopefully TPWD can eliminate that kind of nonsense.
              Those types don't fish as much when conditions are tough, their ADHD kicks in and they'll go find something else to put on their socials.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                I'll disagree with any regulations TP&W imposes. I've noticed through my 40 years of fishing this beautiful coast the state is notorious for taking away but never giving back.

I don't need the government to tell me this year keeping 2 or 3 fish a trip is enough. I'm a big enough boy to figure that out on my own.

Keep it up and we'll be Florida with fishing " seasons " and the only fresh salt fish you'll eat will be in restuarants.

What would you propose?

Comment

Originally posted by RINCON View Post
                  What would you propose?
                  Nothing...

Comment

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                    More regulations and stricter laws aren't going to change a thing. They take away and don't give back. We have to police ourselves and change the attitudes of the keep em all crowd, and I'm not talking about legal limits. There's too much illegal taking of fish, I see it all the time. Watch that Lone Star Law show it's rampent on the coast.
                    Nothing...
                    I agree with these two, our current limits are strict enough.

This is a personal preference, and many people have seen the impact from them, but I would like to see croaker classified as a game fish. Someone posted above that many guides and bait stands make a living off of them, but at what cost to our trout resources?

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                      Thanks for asking
                      This is good news, glad to hear this.

Comment

I see where you're coming from. There's no secret where I fish. Most of these gents have been on my boat and I'm not scared to show them fishing spots.

I'm not sure how old your are, but when TP&W reduced the redfish limit they swore up and down they'd give it back once they recovered. The redfish population was at epic numbers before this freeze and have been for years.

The schools of redfish I've seen are unreal and seem un bothered by pressure. Yet there has not been any push at all to increase the limit.

Now don't get me wrong I'm good with the current limit, but they're not giving an ounce of what they've taken away back. And won't.

What you're asking for is big brother to tell us what to do. Personally I think they've told us enough.

Ok fine you talked me into it. I got an even better idea. We should discuss this in this boat you speak of! lol I am probably old enough that I should remember the old redfish limit, but I grew up chasing ditch pickles on Tbend until I was in my 20s. I dive into saltwater fishing around 2012, so the only thing I can specifically remember is the trout limit reduction from 15 to 5. The concept is good IF it is temporary to get the bays back like they should be. If they change sizes and limits for the foreseeable future like you're saying they have done, then yea I'm out on that as well. I'll just go snag me a LA license and put in on the LA side of the bridge! lol

Comment

I think you mean 10 to 5 trout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The very first thing we need to do is stop armchair quarterbacking this thing. Two or three pics and videos on social media and some chatter from the online podcast experts and folks are ready to shut the entire fishery down.

We do not know where we even are on this right now. As of right now we do not know how widespread the kill is. We don't know how much effect it has had. We really don't know much of anything yet. It's great that everyone is willing to jump in and do what is needed for the fishery. I am glad to see that, but give the biologists time to collect their data and make their recommendations.

In our area we don't even really have any dead speckled trout and redfish to look at yet. I have several friends who have been out looking in East Matagorda Bay. Lots of dead sand trout, mullet, silver perch, ribbonfish, croaker, etc. Very few dead trout, reds or drum at this point. The Colorado river above the ICW has no dead fish in it so far at Matagorda and at Selkirk. I got a report of someone catching redfish in the river off their pier yesterday with no dead fish of any size in sight.

The online experts are saying all the fish died and they just haven't floated up yet. Well, that may be or that may not be. We may be somewhere in between. But at this point there isn't anything in our area to even base a decision on. It's going to take time for the biologists to sort it out and figure out what needs to be done and where.

I'm sure we will have more answers and more data very soon.

Comment

Ok fine you talked me into it. I got an even better idea. We should discuss this in this boat you speak of! lol I am probably old enough that I should remember the old redfish limit, but I grew up chasing ditch pickles on Tbend until I was in my 20s. I dive into saltwater fishing around 2012, so the only thing I can specifically remember is the trout limit reduction from 15 to 5. The concept is good IF it is temporary to get the bays back like they should be. If they change sizes and limits for the foreseeable future like you're saying they have done, then yea I'm out on that as well. I'll just go snag me a LA license and put in on the LA side of the bridge! lol
                              You're more than welcome, but as a good friend of mine once said... Unless you have boobs or kids we don't do bait. ( Mayhem)

Comment

You could not legally catch 15 trout in 2012.

Comment

Working...
                                X