Pellet grill woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet grill woes

I was all set to smoke (2) 12# turkeys on my Pit Boss "Austin XL" pellet grill Thursday. I'm working nights so that was gonna be my easiest bet for getting the birds to the table. I went to give it a test run today with a frozen DiGiorno pizza for breakfast/lunch. I checked it after 15 minutes (cook time was 21 min) and it was burnt to a crisp. I looked at the controller & actual temperatures, and it was spot on at 400*F. The gauge on the lid showed 520*F though, so I checked it with another meat thermometer and oven thermometer too. Sure enough the controller thermocouple is bad.

I called up Pit Boss, and since I remembered to register it when I bought it, they're sending me a new thermocouple. 5 year warranty's work sometimes. It won't be here in time for Thanksgiving, but I'll be able to use the pellet grill for another bird or two in a couple of weeks for a pre-Christmas party.

I guess I'll use the (2) Orion charcoal cookers that have been collecting dust in my shed to cook the birds now. They are great for cooking fast, but don't let the skin crisp up, since the top seals it up and steam cooks what's inside.

I may still use the pellet grill to try and crisp up the turkey's skin. Hope 15-20 minutes or so at 400*F will do it. Since the controller was off (LOW) by 100-120*F, if I set it at 300*F everything "SHOULD" be OK.

Any thoughts, Green Screen?

I'd be nervous and I smoke on a pellet grill often. If you do pit the bird on there I'd monitor closely.

A few weeks ago a friends camp chef jumped to 400 when set at 250. He cleaned the auger out, put new pellets in, and its rolled like a charm ever since. Either way, I'd be looking for a different option until you receive your new controller.

Comment

I think I have an extra one. I will look today. I’m in Danbury. Send me a text later today. 979-215-88zeroseven

Comment

Now that cool

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I cooked a turkey on my Pitt Boss yesterday (Spatchcock Method), took about three hours and was really good.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mertzon Man View Post
            I cooked a turkey on my Pitt Boss yesterday (Spatchcock Method), took about three hours and was really good.
            Looks great! Doing the same tomorrow. What temp did you set your smoker?

Comment

Have them overnite it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                I was all set to smoke (2) 12# turkeys on my Pit Boss "Austin XL" pellet grill Thursday. I'm working nights so that was gonna be my easiest bet for getting the birds to the table. I went to give it a test run today with a frozen DiGiorno pizza for breakfast/lunch. I checked it after 15 minutes (cook time was 21 min) and it was burnt to a crisp. I looked at the controller & actual temperatures, and it was spot on at 400*F. The gauge on the lid showed 520*F though, so I checked it with another meat thermometer and oven thermometer too. Sure enough the controller thermocouple is bad.

I called up Pit Boss, and since I remembered to register it when I bought it, they're sending me a new thermocouple. 5 year warranty's work sometimes. It won't be here in time for Thanksgiving, but I'll be able to use the pellet grill for another bird or two in a couple of weeks for a pre-Christmas party.

I guess I'll use the (2) Orion charcoal cookers that have been collecting dust in my shed to cook the birds now. They are great for cooking fast, but don't let the skin crisp up, since the top seals it up and steam cooks what's inside.

I may still use the pellet grill to try and crisp up the turkey's skin. Hope 15-20 minutes or so at 400*F will do it. Since the controller was off (LOW) by 100-120*F, if I set it at 300*F everything "SHOULD" be OK.

Any thoughts, Green Screen?
                Sounds like a good plan! I'd just keep a close eye on them once you put them on the pellet grill. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

I found it if you need it. If you are in Liverpool I can drop it off or you can come by.

Comment

Originally posted by b.a.saha View Post
                    I found it if you need it. If you are in Liverpool I can drop it off or you can come by.
                    Works great! Smoked Turkey is back on the menu for Thanksgiving day. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                    X