Live.... Shredding Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
    I want to do this to some of my place also.
    Are you concerned about yaupon re growth?
    I have started poisoning it to kill it in certain spots.

BP
    Yes... But in many spots I now have a decent canopy so re growth will be slower. I also plan to manage by fire after this... Would have burned now, but was afraid I would have too hot of a fire in some areas. I like to think I can treat some Yaupons, but once shredder is through you can't tell where Yaupons were.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24363083

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      Can it cut trees?
      I think this thing could take a house down!

Comment

Can it cut trees?

Comment

Anyone seen these used out west? Looks like it would be good to thin some bee brush thickets. I have some areas I wouldn't mind thinning.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Can it cut trees?
            Yes... If you wanted him to fully mulch the tree it would take a few passes. But yes it can cut a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
              I like to think I can treat some Yaupons, but once shredder is through you can't tell where Yaupons were.

[ATTACH]692447[/ATTACH]

Once they come back super easy too spray herbicide, burn and keep them in check

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                Anyone seen these used out west? Looks like it would be good to thin some bee brush thickets. I have some areas I wouldn't mind thinning.

Yes. Very good on whitebrush, mesquite, and cactus patches.

Comment

Looking good. That's also a fair price. I am getting a quote on Saturday, but right off he said his going charge $200 per hour. I think I will need one full day? Please keep us updated on the progress as I am thinking about going this route. I was told the biggest tree he messed with is 8"???

Comment

in terms of overall work done per hour, I assume a dozer would get more done?

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
                      That's what I was hoping! Also... Thus is a 38 block... I do not have the $ to shred it all nor do I want go. I am shredding so that I can burn I shredded areas and use shredded areas as a break. I seriously doubt fire will pas through shredded areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post

That's what I was hoping! Also... Thus is a 38 acre block... I do not have the $ to shred it all nor do I want go. I am shredding so that I can burn I shredded areas and use shredded areas as a break. I seriously doubt fire will pas through shredded areas.

Comment

End of day one ... Theses Pine Donkeys won't have a place to hide no more!!!! We did a lot. We are going to finish in this area in the am and move to the next spot. I am pleased. There def is some cleanup, but that is expected. I was shocked to realize how many large large hardwoods were without a top from hurricane Rita and Ike!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	24363128

Comment

I used one of these bobcats to clear out 6 acres of some of the thickest brush in E Texas. @ 125.00 per hr. It left a lot of cuttings on the ground and I had to push it around with my front end loader to be able to get some seed in the ground for fall food plots. But it was really thick area. The unit broke down more than it ran. And I don't think the people I used will be in business very long. After seeing this I would not buy a bobcat with a mulcher. But I do think it is better than a dozer. And after clearing some land for a pond, using a track hoe, I would us a track hoe again if I needed some land cleared. A dozer removes a lot of top soil, where a back hoe shakes the soil off and back to the ground. Just my 2 cents

Comment

My uncle had this done a few years ago on his place at Gatesville. Really impressive the work the guy did, but pretty slow in terms of ground covered. Had a friend of the family come out with a tree shear on his bobcat and backhoe I think. He dropped everything with the shear and piled it with the hoe. We ended up with 4 big brush piles that we will eventually burn, maybe. But he cleared a heckuvalot more ground in a shorter period of time.

Comment

The thing about the mulcher is that when he is done, it is done if you let him grind the mulch up small enough. Mulchers are high maintenance machines and I have seen a bunch of them burn by getting debris into the engine compartment/turbo area. But they really do a good job. Dozers can tear up ground and damage roots of desirable trees if not careful, and they still leave a pile of brush/trees that you have to deal with.

Comment

Working...
                                X