Northern Brown County what’s the deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PSE-Madman View Post
    Me and some buddies got on 1600 acres that is in far north brown county in between cross plains and rising star. The property has elevation,
    Mesquite flats, lots of wheat, 12 ponds and a wet season creek. We are also feeding corn from10 feeders.

We have put a lot of time in this season including bow season and have not seen a single buck older than 3.5. We also have cameras everywhere and have only seen two bucks that we think would go 4-5 yrs.

What’s the deal? We are hunting it right and not joy riding, shooting beer cans, or acting like newbies. Lots of 3.5 year old bucks , tons of does, and your regular mix of spikes and fork horns. We see rutting activity but nothing to shoot at.

Is this common with the area? If so I’ll be shopping for a new property soon. Lots of money spent on lease fees,campers, corn, and everything else this year with zero results aside from a few does. 2700ea and Six hunters for reference
    Is the owner Sara? If so I was on the place. Very few deer were shot.

Comment

Yep. Love to talk to you 817-201-4144

Comment

Hunted Comanche County for years. Not many mature deer ever showed up at the feeders. Killed several on wheat fields chasing does or late season. Best strategy was hunting pinch points or trails downwind of feeders during the rut.

Comment

Saw a really nice deer in the middle of a cut hayfield last evening.
          Nothing but young ones at my feeders lately.

Comment

Holler if you get off. I may want on it

I’d cut back on feeders. Put cameras on fence crossings. Water. Etc. It’s been a warm year. Deer haven’t had a reason to hit feed hard. I believe I lost some mature deer in the freeze as well.

Comment

I think one of the deals in Brown County especially North is adequate water. Big tank , wet creek or near the Lake.

Comment

Working...
              X