Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bare Minimum For Height Of Tree Stand(and why)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lowest I've had one is about 8' from the base to the ground. Deer would walk right under me!

Comment

Originally posted by Chad C View Post
      The lowest I've had one is about 8' from the base to the ground. Deer would walk right under me!

that kinda blows the whole need to be 30 feet up in the air discussion.
      Good point.

Comment

I have no issue with 20', but have worried in recent years about the impact the drought has had on trees. Seems some trees appear fine, but given the right conditions snap like dried twigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Oz_Ag View Post
          As high as you can possibly get, but there is no minimum. Just ask Michael about his "Killin Tree". I think its about 5ft off the ground.
          I agree, I have one in a mesquite tree and the platform is at 5'6". Have done verywell in that stand too.

Comment

Lowest I will go is 15' and highest 30'. Some places I hunt it is a struggle to get 15' but in the piney woods 30' is easy.

Comment

I like 25 ish feet!

Comment

Last time I killed anything from a tree stand was a bear 6 feet up at 8 yards.

Comment

follwoing

Comment

I have always hunted with my feet between 10-12 feet off of the ground. The deer do periodically look at me. I have one stand that is about 15-18 feet up there and it scares me.

Comment

I'm not sure. Had one at about 10-12 last year, but didn't ever see a deer out of it. This year I'm higher in a different tree, but surely it's less than 20' up. Big problem is that the tree is on a hillside, I'm probably 30+ feet high on one side, but the feeder is nearly level with me on the other side. I'm just hoping the deer look out parallel to the terrain instead of straight out. Luckily, I've got good cover front and back, and the prevailing winds blue my scent out over the low side and down across a pond. On my lease, good trees big enough for a lock on are few and far between, so I find one that looks good, then find a limb that looks like it has a good spot for a stand, height is secondary when you have limited options of trees and even further limited options of limbs within those few trees.

Comment

For those of you saying you get 25-30' up, do you actually measure? Not being snarky, but seems like most people think they're 30' up and it's more like 18'

I read about an older fella the other day that put his lock on about 2' off the ground. He was old and didn't want to fall, but thought his stand was comfy and wanted to continue sitting in it. He killed a few deer

Comment

Im 15 - 20 feet up and never been busted by sight...... my stinch has given me away a couple of times. LOL

Comment

All of mine are 25 to 30. One reason I like them high is I believe you can get away with more movement when that high. The other reason is I don't have to worry about my dad or brother hunting my stand.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                              For those of you saying you get 25-30' up, do you actually measure? Not being snarky, but seems like most people think they're 30' up and it's more like 18'

I read about an older fella the other day that put his lock on about 2' off the ground. He was old and didn't want to fall, but thought his stand was comfy and wanted to continue sitting in it. He killed a few deer
                              I have a 35 foot lock on. One of my favorite stands. Measured it from feet to ground with a range finder.

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
                                I have a 35 foot lock on. One of my favorite stands. Measured it from feet to ground with a range finder.

Well there ya go

Do you shoot your trad bow from it?

Comment

Working...
                                X