Menard 2022/23 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menard 2022/23 Season

Figured it was time to start a new thread.

Our beautiful wheat field was nothing but dirt in May.
    How bad are the conditions going to be, and deer health this year?

Maybe Gary will chime in on how dry it is.

Comment

We were out a couple weeks ago west of town. Super dry but the deer looked good. We’ve been feeding cotton seed and protein so hopefully it’s helping.

Comment

We were out last weekend, it is dry but the deer looked to be in good shape. We saw a decent amount of fawns and some does that looked to still be pregnant. Bucks have decent horn growth so far most main beams are out to the G3’s. We are feeding protein though and as dry as it is without supplemental feed the fawn crop and horn size are going to be minimal

Comment

I am at the north end of 2783. We have had a couple of rains. We feed year round cottonseed, corn and protein. Watering is king. If you can provide a water source that is pig proof, do it. It pays huge dividends.

Comment

Has been really dry across most of the county. Just over 5" of precipitation for the year to date in Menard. Driest areas are the southern part of the county. Eastern part of the county received a couple of inches this week. There is a small area in the NW part of the county that is in better shape most all the rest of the county.
            Praying for rain,
            Gary

Comment

Heading to my lease tomorrow for the weekend. We are off Cleo Rd about halfway between Menard and I10, a few miles inside the Menard Co. line.

The lack of rain has me finally appreciating the fact that the guy we sub-lease from runs cattle on the place. We have several water troughs on the place that are always full, primarily for the cows. So even in the driest years, we always have water for the wildlife.

Comment

Looks like we’ve had about 1/2” recently. Deer look healthy regardless. And boy are the hogs a problem now. Killed 4 this morning.

A few game cam pics from one of my blinds. The big one is at this blind every day. Mostly in the middle of the night but occasionally in daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will be going to our place soon to refill feeders ready for the season to arrive

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
                    A few game cam pics from one of my blinds. The big one is at this blind every day. Mostly in the middle of the night but occasionally in daylight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Big boar!

Comment

I am bad at dates, but I just remember when it was this dry one year we had a lot of oak trees die off.

Comment

im not anywhere near menard-- down in maverick county. we have been super dry-- finally got 1.5-2" about a week ago. i put up a camera a couple weeks back and i have been VERY surprised how healthy the deer looked-- some even looked fat.

Comment

Going next weekend. I was there on the 4th of June and our place had received 2 inches that week which is about the only big rain we had all year. I am thinking we have had between 4 and 5 inches. My expectations are not high, but these deer are resilient and if you have mature bucks they will surprise you. Good luck to you guys.

Comment

Extremely hot and dry. It tried to shower around the county yesterday but it barely wet the sidewalks at my house. Biggest rain I heard of so far is in eastern Menard County and it was .2". Lots of thunder but just never turned loose.
                            Adios,
                            Gary

Comment

Here in Houston, watering twice a week and the yard is still turning brown.
                              These 100+ temps and very little rain is a killer. I can't imagine how it is down there.

Comment

Working...
                              X