Traditional FSC Week 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional FSC Week 21

We've been practicing hitting small, almost undetectable aimpoints on flat paper lately. Now, let's hit an unseen aimpoint on the backside of a three-dimensional target. Think small, quartering-away pig.

Best idea I've got to do this and measure as a competition is to use a 1-gallon milk jug (or a large plastic soda or similar bottle). The bottle will be placed on its side at a hard-quartering angle to the shot line (filled with water, with a little food coloring). Make a + (plus sign) on the "back" side of the bottle at the spot you think the arrow should exit for a 45-degree amount of quartering. Take a picture of the "before" set-up, showing the location of the + to post along with the "after" measurement shots.

Shoot one arrow (first shot of day) from a seated or kneeling stance (one or two knees) from 12 yards (7 for kids). You are shooting at a bottle placed at about 45-degrees, relative to your shooting line. You are trying to hit that + sign on the back of the jug. Measure nearest side of arrow shaft to center of + sign. You may try this on two different days. Tie-breaker would go to the best Day 1 effort.

The winner of the next call will be the one with the lowest measured distance of nearest part of arrow shaft to the center of the + sign. The water helps provide stability for the target at impact and the resulting level line is mainly instructive to help us actually see what angle helps us hit an offside target spot.

I'll add a pic or two of my set-up shortly.

Late Edit: Just occurred to me that this could a fun challenge to shoot with hunting broadheads. So feel free to use fieldpoints or broadheads. After all, we're trying to simulate a hunting shot. Measure the same from shaft to +. The broadheads will just make a better hole for the colored water to drain from.
    Last edited by tradtiger; 05-19-2019, 11:48 AM. Reason: Add broadhead provision

Here's my set-up. You can see black + in top view as well as angle shown from top and front. (Note that I tried to get the "cleanest " side as the front.) Last picture just shows my finger pointing at about where I think I'll need to hit.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tradtiger; 05-19-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Don't forget to take the "before" picture showing the + location at the back of bottle, for posting along with the "after" measuring photos.

Have fun, good luck, y'all!

Comment

Note Late Edit above in OP, allowing (encouraging) using your hunting broadhead for this challenge. Makes a better hole for colored water to drain out of. Still measure shaft to +. Just makes it more of a hunting shot -- not required, though. Use fieldpoint or broadhead.

Comment

Darn, the city picked up my recycling yesterday!! Can i do the same with a small cardboard box or would that be a DQ?

Comment

Originally posted by jonny_thunder View Post
            Darn, the city picked up my recycling yesterday!! Can i do the same with a small cardboard box or would that be a DQ?
            Sure. In fact, I have called similar three-dimensional challenges using a cardboard box. You grasp the principle. It's just more fun to watch the water pour out and also compare the visible elevation difference between shaft entry and water line.

Just show the "before" shot of "+" location along with measurement pics. Also, you can try it on two days, in case you finish off another container this week.

Comment

Okay, y'all. I held off shooting till Koepka held on to win PGA. Here's my Day 1 shot (probably only one) . 1"

Thought it would be cool to video with phone as well.

Comment

Heck. Have to work on video. Tapatalk says file too large to post.

Comment

Uploaded to YouTube as "Milk jug arrow shot"

Can go to YouTube and search that title if it doesn't show up here.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k2KxPCCTgE"]Milk jug arrow shot - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Here is my attempt for the day, 2 3/4” high. Need to practice
                    kneeling shots more.
                    Last edited by jonny_thunder; 02-08-2022, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Not bad, Jonny!

Let me just remind all that POSTING A 'BEFORE' picture of the jug/bottle/box, showing where the "+" sign is is part of the challenge. I don't really want to spell out the reason for this.

Comment

Here is my before and post shot. Still getting used to posting pics

Last edited by jonny_thunder; 02-08-2022, 03:21 PM.

Comment

There ya go! Thank's Jonny.

Definitely understand about challenges posting pics or videos-- have spent hours lately editing and trying to post videos of son's pitching on various platforms.

Comment

Fun and applicable target TT.
                            I did this a week or so ago with my boy...enticed him to step away from the air gun. After a few warm up shots he was thwackin the bottle on every shot. Im going to get him in on this target.

Comment

i shot it again, but didn't improve much. Still just over two inches off target. Would definitely do the trick on a hog though!

Comment

Working...
                              X