String Fingers are Sore, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

String Fingers are Sore, need help

Hey guys, I posted this on Tradgang, but I'm putting it here as well to try and get more input. I've been dealing with finger pain when I shoot lately and need some insight.

I shoot with a deep hook, 2 under, I use a grip sear to trigger my shot, and haven't switched tabs or anything, but the pads of my finger tips are suddenly getting chewed up. Anyone got a diagnosis? I don't think I'm collapsing at the shot, as I've filmed myself shooting specifically to look at that. It's like my fingers aren't getting thrown clear by the string when my grip sear pops.

When I just go shoot, it doesn't feel like my release is anticipatory. I am mostly (I do have bad shots, but mostly) focused on my grip sear, not my release. And I shoot very well doing this. It's just that my fingers are slow in getting out of the way. The pain seems to build up over time, and after a round of 3D I realize my fingers hurt like heck, and I don't know when they started stinging.

If you like a durable feel in a shooting glove, this is the one for you. If you like a glove that's sensitive, this might be too thick for you. It's built to last, and the ballistic nylon fingertips can really take a beating from lots of shots. Go for a snug fit out of the box, because the leather will relax over time.

Get a glove like this with thick padding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

You’re probably holding a bit longer than you were before and that extra time is making your fingers sore. Try a slight thicker tab or try put band aid on those sore fingers see if they hurt when you shoot to just test it out, before getting a thicker tab.

Comment

What kind of glove/tab are you using now?
        Is the pain at the tips or the pads?

Comment

I've always shot a tab that I made myself, and just cut more leather to shape when the old one wears out. I have gone through three different thicknesses of tab in the past week without finding a solution there. I have to believe it's something mechanical that I'm doing wrong. The pain/numbness is on the outer edge of the finger pads, radiating around to the tips.

Comment

When you say you're shooting 2 under, does that mean you're shooting split finger?

2 under / 1 over?

Or, shooting just 2 under Apache style?

Rick

Comment

Is your shooting off?

Gary

Comment

Rick, he shoots 2 under, not split.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Rick, he shoots 2 under, not split.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Thanks.

That eliminates arrow pinch soreness.

Rick

P.S.
                  Peanut shoots that way also.

Comment

It's 2 under with my middle fingers. The index finger lays along the arrow shaft.

Gary, my shooting has actually been pretty good the past few days, which really is frustrating. I tried a longer tab today, thinking maybe it was just a coverage issue, but that started throwing my arrows all over the target. I trimmed back till arrows were hitting right, and my fingers were feeling it again.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                      It's 2 under with my middle fingers. The index finger lays along the arrow shaft.
                      After your description it prompted my memory of building this tab for you.

Rick
                      Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Yes, and I really liked the design! I switched away from it because it wasn't thick enough for my heavy bows.

Maybe I just have sensitive fingers...

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                            Yes, and I really liked the design! I switched away from it because it wasn't thick enough for my heavy bows.

Maybe I just have sensitive fingers...
                            If you still have it, put a layer of the fuzzy side of peel & stick velcro between the string face, and the leather backing.

Stick the velcro to the leather backing, then trim it to match the shape.

That will thicken the tab up without making it stiff, and will make a big difference in improved comfort on your fingers.

Rick

Comment

Shooting tonight for the first time in a while my fingers got a bit sore but I can't imagine shooting 2 fingers. 3 is my minimum. lol
                              I did whack my wrist a few times...a bit bruised.

Comment

Working...
                              X