Anyone use Clay bars to polish cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use Clay bars to polish cars

Question on clay bars, any of yall have experience using them? Just washed wifes car yesterday and noticed hundreds if not more of tiny spots (look like rust) all over the car. They come off but are tough. Here is what it looks like.
    Body guy i know said he can do it for $100
    Neighbor said to use he clay and solvent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1453862068891.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	25078648
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1453862079416.jpg
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	25078649

We use clay bar to remove overspray paint, should work just fine on whatever I'd on your wife's car.

Comment

It's normal to see the tail dust on light color cars! Do it yourself if u have time! It's easy to do just takes forever. I don't think I'd pay the $100.....actually I know I wouldn't . Just get a squirt bottle of water and clay bar and go to town! Put I nice coat of wax on when u get done and keep an eye on it ! Easy fix!

Comment

Done it many times. Removed john deere yellow off a green truck (not a good day for the wife). Road striping material and the latest venture was last weekend of deer season. Hwy 30 had some tar that came up with the rain and coated my truck and my dads.

Clay bar and soapy water will work. Wash and dry vehicle. Spray soapy water or the stuff the bar comes with. Scrub with bar and spray when it starts to dry repeat till car done. Wash and wax. I have been able to use the bar several times as long as the material isn't too bad. However The tar crap ate a bar that only had one use

NOTE: Im not an expert and didn't stay at holiday inn express last nite

Comment

I've used them a lot with good results. Give it a good wax job when you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
            Done it many times. Removed john deere yellow off a green truck (not a good day for the wife). Road striping material and the latest venture was last weekend of deer season. Hwy 30 had some tar that came up with the rain and coated my truck and my dads.

Clay bar and soapy water will work. Wash and dry vehicle. Spray soapy water or the stuff the bar comes with. Scrub with bar and spray when it starts to dry repeat till car done. Wash and wax. I have been able to use the bar several times as long as the material isn't too bad. However The tar crap ate a bar that only had one use

NOTE: Im not an expert and didn't stay at holiday inn express last nite
            Thats what im talkin about, it aint rust (car is a 2015) or dust. I live in laporte so it could be sompin from the plants. Its some tough schlit though!

Comment

I had it done to my truck to remove fusion bond epoxy overspray... It worked great

Comment

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                Thats what im talkin about, it aint rust (car is a 2015) or dust. I live in laporte so it could be sompin from the plants. Its some tough schlit though!
                If you have it try some "goo gone". I found that removed the tar pretty quick if you spray and let it sit. This happened of course on the last fender of the truck when the yellow bar had turned black.

Realistically its not a bad idea to clay bar the car and put a good coat of wax once a year or so anyway. Make mommas ride shine like a diamond in a goats _________

Comment

I've spent many hours removing overspray from cars with a clay bar. If your body man will use the clay bar, wash, and wax the car for 100 bucks let him have at it. It takes hours to get all of the overspray off with the clay. Just be sure he gets it all off. Don't accept a half*** job. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Comment

For $100 sign me up! My times worth a lot more than that

Comment

Yea that hundy was to get his guys to clay it, wash wax ect was extra. Thats why i passed. This is gettin old FAST!Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1453866136756.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	24427712

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        If you have it try some "goo gone". I found that removed the tar pretty quick if you spray and let it sit. This happened of course on the last fender of the truck when the yellow bar had turned black.

Realistically its not a bad idea to clay bar the car and put a good coat of wax once a year or so anyway. Make mommas ride shine like a diamond in a goats _________
                        Just make sure you test goo gone on a hidden place first....

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                          Just make sure you test goo gone on a hidden place first....
                          I've used it from fiberglass boats to atv plastic without any issues other than greasy film which washes off. I love the stuff

Comment

That is "rail dust" as many people call it. Little particles of of metal embed themselves into the clear and begin to rust. Supposedly when cars are shipped via rail, metal particles land on the clear and begin to settle in. But not all cars are shipped by rail, and they still have it, so its just a general term for small rusting particles in your clear. I remember reading about it on the cumminsforum.

Comment

Originally posted by CentexRancher View Post
                              That is "rail dust" as many people call it. Little particles of of metal embed themselves into the clear and begin to rust. Supposedly when cars are shipped via rail, metal particles land on the clear and begin to settle in. But not all cars are shipped by rail, and they still have it, so its just a general term for small rusting particles in your clear. I remember reading about it on the cumminsforum.
                              Yea thats what it looks like, car is from Japan but we bought it new (showroom new). I couldn't say where we picked it up from since we havent washed it in a few months. Its almost all off now but dang it was tough.

Arms are gonna be sore.

Comment

Working...
                              X