Well Folks - It Happened To Me...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBH1979 View Post
    Yesterday I got home only to find a window broken out, muddy prints all in my house and my back door wide open. They took every gun in the house as well as every box of ammo. They also got two digital cameras, a digital camcorder, a garmin, and who knows what else as far as small items go. I havent finished going through the hurricane yet.

The only piece of mind I had was that I have renters insurance and I just found out I got the hose on that one as well. Firearms are only covered up to $2500 and that was the majority of the loot they got away with. The only good thing is I have pictures and sn#'s of all of my guns that were taken. If I could do this whole thing over I would own a gun safe (a heavy one) and I would have gone through my insurance policy with a fine tooth comb. Here is a list of items that were stolen that may just pop up online for sale. Keep your eyes peeled fellas and take a look at your insurance policy vs. what you actually have! Learn from my mistake!

Everything was reported to Harris County Precinct 4 Constables office.

1. Howa Talon 1500 – 300 Model: HWK53301 WM (SN: B229666)
    Millett 6x25x56 Buck Gold

2. New England Firearms 1911 (SN: EA20161) .45

3. New England Firearma 45-70 (SN: NT374596)

4. 300 WM Ammo (2 boxes)

5. 45-70 Ammo (2 boxes)

6. .45 Ammo (2 boxes)

7. Weatherby Vanguard 270
    Nikon Prostaff 4x12

8. .270 Ammo (2 boxs)

9. Weatherby Mark V 270
    Leupold 4x12

10. Weatherby Mark V 30-06
    Nikon Prostaff 4x12

11. 30-06 Ammo (1 box)

12. Glock 21 .40

13. .40 Ammo (4 boxes)

14. Bersa .380 Semi Auto Pistol

15. .380 Ammo (2 boxes)

16. Remmington 870 12ga

Here is a pic of my 1911

The bottom pic is of my Howa.
    Sorry for the loss of your stuff bro.

This is a good lesson to everyone. Most if not all homeowner's insurance policies are capped at $2500 and you can buy up to $5k. They either need to be put on a personal articles policy or better yet get the NRA insurance.

State Farm said that I had to provide them with pictures and a list of serial numbers prior to taking out the policy. In addition to that, any single gun with a value over $1500 had to be appraised. I passed on that garbage and got insurance through the NRA. They don't want any info on any of your guns unless they are valued over $2500 on an individula basis, and then you only have to declare them, not provide any appraisals or serial numbers. I try to keep a collection of private purchased weapons for a reason.

Also, most jewelry falls under the same limitations on a HO policy.

Sadly, a $1k gun safe could have probably avoided this.

Comment

Same thing happened t one of my best friends yesterday mid day in Beaumont. Came home to find a house missing all his and his dads guns (15) guns. The only other thing they took was a laptop.

Comment

Did this happen at jones and fallbrook? There are about 3 pawn shops within a mile of that intersection

Comment

Horrible!!! I hope you get your things returned and they catch the *****holes who did this!
          Sry you're going through this bud

Comment

Yep $2500 is standard on every home policy in this state on firearms. There are also limits on jewelry, furs, and cash.

Totally sucks man

Comment

sorry to hear it..Happened to me in 1996

Comment

Originally posted by pblaetz View Post
                sorry to hear this!

Are you a member of the nra or any other organization? Your membership may include some firearms insurance. Check into it!
                National Rifle Association does!!!

Comment

I hope they get whats coming to them. They could come back for the big screen etc. I agree with Snipehunter, you or your roommate may know them. No prints?

Comment

Sorry to hear

Comment

Reminds me that I need another safe or sell the guns that don't fit in it. I have 2 lock boxes for documents and such and a smaller safe just for ammo. May need to look into a giant safe for the bows, too.

Sorry for loss and I hope the thieves get what's coming to them.

Comment

Update: Just got a call from Harris County Sheriff's Dept and they have my Howa .300 win mag in their possession. I have an appt today to go view the condition of the gun. The bad news is that the gun belongs to state farm since they paid the claim. Granted they only paid $2500.00 towards the firearms that were stolen. The officer said I can contact the insurance company and usually they will sell the item back to you for a good deal. Has anybody ever done this that can give me any advice? I've never bought back a stolen item from an insurance company and I'm not sure what kind of "deal" I should expect.

Comment

Man that closs to home! Sorry to here this and thanks for sharing! Hop you can find who did this! Scary for sure! Also glad you at least may have hope of getting the 300 back!
                          Last edited by MikeS.; 12-19-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

This happened two years ago. So far I've gotten my .45 handgun back and hopfully now I will get my Howa back.

Comment

S-u-c-k-s

Sorry, that really sucks!

Comment

tell state farm that isnt one of the guns they paid off

Comment

Working...
                                X