Five Texas Courthouses Get Restoration Grants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copied this out our local newspaper. Thought some of y'all might find it interesting.

The Texas Historical Commission has announced $22.5 million in grants to five counties to aid in preservation and restoration of their historic courthouses. Four of the counties — Hall, Kimble, Upshur and Wise — received construction grants for full restoration. Comanche County received a planning grant that will be used to prepare for a future full restoration. “We are thrilled to partner with these communities on these critical historic preservation projects,” said THC Executive Director Mark Wolfe. “Their dedication to their historic courthouses will pay economic and quality of life dividends for decades.” Throughout the state, 104 counties have received grants from the THC program, with $350 million allotted to fund the full restoration of 78 courthouses and smaller grants to assist with planning and emergency needs given to another 26 counties.

Nice!

Comment

That's awesome. Upshur needs it for sure.

Comment

Nice to see some restoration of historical buildings instead of the wrecking ball like so many others have faced.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          Nice to see some restoration of historical buildings instead of the wrecking ball like so many others have faced.
          Fannin county just redid the courthouse and it looks great.

Comment

Every courthouse I've been in has needed a modernization. They look highly neglected.

Comment

I hope Mason gets enough grant money to help rebuild it after that lowlife burned it down a couple years ago. That town was devastated and is trying get it rebuilt.

Comment

I'm sure those counties have beautiful old courthouses that are in need of restoration. It's just a shame that Hidalgo County can't get some kind of grant to replace that awful, ugly brick of a courthouse in Edinburg!

Comment

I set on a jury in the Wise county courthouse several years ago, and it’s a cool old building. The courtroom is very dated, and stereotypical, but I hope they don’t change it too much. It’s still pretty old school, according to all of the old western movies I’ve seen.[emoji23] Some of the hallways and doorways are pretty narrow, so I’m sure there’s work to be done there. Wish I could have walked around it some more.

I really hope they clean up the outside, and get rid of the old fire escape stairs hanging on the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                    Fannin county just redid the courthouse and it looks great.
                    now if they'd just remove the bell tower. The rest looks fine.

Comment

Nice to see they are preserving the history of these old unreplaceable buildings.

Comment

Originally posted by droebuck View Post
                        I hope Mason gets enough grant money to help rebuild it after that lowlife burned it down a couple years ago. That town was devastated and is trying get it rebuilt.
                        +1

But glad Comanche is getting help

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S. View Post
                          Nice to see they are preserving the history of these old unreplaceable buildings.
                          100% agree. I sure hope these grants don't come with conditions like removal of historic statues or plaques that some think are offensive. I can't stand it when they take down history like that.

Comment

Denton has a great one and the town square around it has been doing well. Glad i was always a visitor at that place! Not sure if they use it for anything related to a courthouse now. I always love to see a historic courthouse - they look like Texas castles.

Comment

This is a good use of public money.

When you look at turn of the century courthouses, schools and churches it makes me wonder. How could they afford those beautiful buildings then but not now? I think it's a reflection of society more than anything

Comment

Working...
                              X